News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I bought another one!

Started by rf9rider, September 18, 2011, 02:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rf9rider

While the tank was off, i replaced the broken Idle adjuster, brand new from Triumph!

Carbs were off and back on in 5 minutes, i`m getting quite good at that job  :icon_lol:

rf9rider

As for plan B, i`ve bought another tank, with an unmolested hole for the petrol tap!

Got it cheap as its got a crap paint job, no worries as i`ll need to get it sprayed anyhow.

Thought i`d treat the new tank to a genuine Steamer tap, again, brand new from Triumph  :bug_eye

Sin_Tiger

I can vouch for the Permatex being hydrocarbon  resistant, used it often.

Take the plastic strainers off both the main and reserve inlets and throw them away  :nod then fit a small inline filter on the petcock out. Now you can see when you have crap in the fuel without emptying the tank and removing the petcock.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rf9rider

What did those come out of?  :bug_eye

Sin_Tiger

That's the filter for the reserve, the main want very bonny either.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rf9rider

After a week away, it looks like the Permatex isn`t petrol resistant either.

Came back to this in the garage....................

rf9rider

So plan B it is then.

Cleaned up the mounting hole for the petrol tap and fitted the new one, along with the petrol cap.

Leaving this one as well for a week to check for leaks.

Looks like i`ll be riding this year with a crappy looking tank until i can either get this one resprayed or repair the other one somehow.

rf9rider

After messing about with the white tank, trying various methods to seal the petrol tap, i`ve given up on it.

It will make a nice ornament for my garage.

The black spare one is now on for this year, i`ll get it resprayed to match over the winter.

Been busy with other things lately, so finally got some time to sort the bike, as usual, letting it sit has gummed up the carbs, took them off over the weekend, although the float bowls were clean, the pilots had gummed up solid, cleaned them out and its running fine again.

Only thing is the MOT ran out end of May, so that will be sorted this week, then out for a run at the weekend hopefully.

rybes

been busy on mine too yesterday, hopefully itll be runnin later today  :thumbsup
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

rf9rider

Checking bike over for MOT, all fine during the week.

Went out this morning into the garage, familiar smell of petrol.

Not so bad this time, the fuel pipe was split just below the tap.

Rather than pay £18 for a Triumph part, going to cut out the bad part and install an inline filter.

Hoping to find something in our local motor shops, if not it`s another wait for one to be delivered during the week.

rybes

just got meself a fuel filter from wilcos. now i can go rebuild the carbs on mine n hope it starts
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Sin_Tiger

This is what the K&N filter looks like in situ.

NB this is the reinforced hose that has a slightly larger nominal bore than 6mm, I've now replaced this with single skin bike fuel hose that is near identical to the original.
I have since also replaced the worm drive hoseclips with cable ties which work just as well and looks neater.
I trimmed about 10mm of the end of the original moulded hose to get enough gap to keep the filter vertical

rf9rider

Thanks mate, i`ll probably have to mount mine differently as i`ve already cut the original pipe down to suit the Yamaha tap which had the nozzle coming out horizontally from the tap.
Now i`m using an original Steamer tap, so probably have to mount the filter horizontally between the carbs and airbox, then fit the new tube between the filter and tap.

rf9rider

Fitted the K&N fuel filter plus a new bit of pipe, had a new rear tyre fitted as the old one was getting a bit low on tread, and good news, bike passed the MOT this afternoon.  :icon_biggrin:

Did a few miles today, was good getting out on it again.

More miles tomorrow if the weather holds.

Sin_Tiger

Some things you can fix  :augie