News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2012 Rusty brake floaters and muffler

Started by radioactive slime, October 30, 2011, 01:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radioactive slime

My brand new Tiger800 roadie, only 700 km,  is showing rust on the brake floaters and muffler. Any one else experience this? My '04 VFR never had a problem. Tell me I made the right switch.
"The mind is free when the tank is full"

jphish

Hmmm - No rust issues with mine. Are you exposing it to salt any where? Mine are wet 6 mos a year (W Wa climate) Brake "floaters" - you mean calipers ??

radioactive slime

No salt here. The bike has been exposed to rain since the day I brought it home a month ago with a few days here and there to dry out. I dont have indoor storage so the Tiger gets covered when possible. ( I don't cover it when the bike is wet, I wait til it dries.) It's just been a very wet month.  The rust is on the rotors where they mount to the wheel. (some of the bolts are rusty too.) Also along the underside of the muffler can there is a line of rust running nearly the full length: it looks like it could be seam.  And some minor rust spotting on the exhaust heat shield just ahead of the rear brake pedal. The dealer is looking into a warranty claim at the time of this writing.
"The mind is free when the tank is full"

jphish

I would hope so...Thing shouldnt be rusting after a year, much less a few months. Just went down to garage & checked mine - put it away 3 days ago after riding in rain - no rust anywhere. My old Girly, after 6 YEARS of wet, has no rust anywhere.  Let us know what dealer sez. Bummer!

blacktiger

Quote from: "radioactive slime"Also along the underside of the muffler can there is a line of rust running nearly the full length: it looks like it could be seam.  

This would be unusual since the muffler is all stainless steel. I do know that low grade stainless can rust but it take quite a bit of effort.

As for your brake rotors. Well, I do believe they're made by Brembo which is Italian which, historically, is renown for producing stuff that rusts.

I think you should stop washing your bike with washing up liquid because it contains salt as part of the cleaning agent. :?: And start using stuff like Motrex 645 protect&shine or Scottoil FS365.

No rust on my 9 year old Tiger955i or my 5 month old 800XC.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.