News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Shoes!

Started by gatordoc, December 19, 2011, 05:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatordoc

I have yet to actually install them, but it's been so quiet here in beaker land lately I though I would go ahead and post 'em up anyway.

Shiny, new Shinko 705s

Ordered 'em a bit ago after I picked up a nail in the rear tire.  I plugged it, and it's been holding air perfectly, but ordered the new ones anyways to be prepared; no sense tempting fate.  Went with the 705s because they are such a great value (i.e. cheap) and because they have gotten good reviews, other than the early bais-plies.  Mine are radials, got both for less than just the a rear Scorpion Trail.  Trying to resist the urge to switch them out since the Scorpions still have a few thousand miles left.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

\'96 Steamer
\'11 800

walker

did they seem to be much heavier? Or thicker?

How about noise, grip, tracking, etc? seem to be about the same as the stock tires? The treads remind me of the metzler tourances (sort of)... which were ok on non - paved surfaces, and were really good in the wet.

gatordoc

Quote from: "walker"did they seem to be much heavier? Or thicker?

How about noise, grip, tracking, etc? seem to be about the same as the stock tires? The treads remind me of the metzler tourances (sort of)... which were ok on non - paved surfaces, and were really good in the wet.

Haven't fitted the Shinkos yet, stockers have a bit of life left in 'em yet, provided the plug keeps holding air.  I'll post up once I get around to making the switch and let ya know how they do.  Some of the other members 'round here use em, perhaps someone else will chime in?  HUGE thread on ADV about em too, if you have a couple days to burn reading it.

As an aside, I'm not at all dissatisfied with the Scorpion Trails, other than the cost.  I've done 5k miles so far and other than the squaring off due to all the commuting they are holding up pretty well.  I'd estimate at least another 3k if they keep wearing at the current rate, maybe more if I can find time to visit the twisties and wear down the edges more.  No off road to speak of, though, and I understand they aren't really intended for that.  Hoping to remedy that once I get the shinkos fitted.

\'96 Steamer
\'11 800

Bixxer Bob

I'm on my second set of Scorpion Trails on my Girly and love them, but I don't do off road  :roll:

Regarding the plug.  If you fitted it yourself I'm not sure, but a professionally fitted repair plug is around £5 ($7??) and good for whatever the original tyre is rated at.  I too was sceptical at first, but at various times have had two tyres repaired on my Blackbird without issue, and she's got a fair bit more grunt that the Girly  :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

gatordoc

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I'm on my second set of Scorpion Trails on my Girly and love them, but I don't do off road  :roll:

Regarding the plug.  If you fitted it yourself I'm not sure, but a professionally fitted repair plug is around £5 ($7??) and good for whatever the original tyre is rated at.  I too was sceptical at first, but at various times have had two tyres repaired on my Blackbird without issue, and she's got a fair bit more grunt that the Girly  :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I am pretty happy with the Scorpion trails.  I'm just cheap, mostly.  I will probably venture down some dirt and gravel roads eventually, but I don't have the off road chops to do anything more than that at this point, so no delusions of grandeure for me.  Not yet, anyway.

I plugged it myself with the rope style plug, cleaned the hole, used plenty of glue, and its been holding air very well for about there weeks, so I've some confidince in it now.  Just glad to have the new tires on hand since I commute on the Tiger and shipping tires sucks.

\'96 Steamer
\'11 800

Boxmonkey

Please keep us posted when the new shoes are on. I have about 5700 miles on my stockers with life left, but it never hurts to start looking for replacements. I also had to plug my rear about 1000 miles ago.
Tiger 800 ABS

jwray76

I run them on my 955 and have been pleased. They have good stick on the road and do about as expected for a 20% off road tire with heavy bike. When aired down they are much more capable.

I am really heavy on the throttle so it looks like my rear is going to be done at 4000 miles.

Boxmonkey

Any update on the 705's?
Tiger 800 ABS

gatordoc

Quote from: "Boxmonkey"Any update on the 705's?

Sorry, not yet.  I'm in the process of moving and haven't been doing much with the Tigger lately.  I'm planning to mount them in the spring once I'm settled in Michigan and the weather breaks.

\'96 Steamer
\'11 800

gatordoc

So I finally got off my butt and got the 705s put on my beaker:

Just finished up last night, so nothing much for feedback yet.  A little louder and not as smooth as the stock scorpions, but nothing unexpected.  I'll report back in a few days after I have a few miles on them.

\'96 Steamer
\'11 800

Boxmonkey

How are the tires doing so far? It is about time for me to change tires again, and am still considering the Shinko's.
Tiger 800 ABS

gatordoc

Pretty good so far, actually.  I put them on this spring at around 8500 miles, have just over 10k now.

I can tell that they are wearing down as the handling has lost that new tire feel, but they aren't visibly showing much wear.

Good road traction and manners, though they are a bit louder than the stock scorpion trails (as expected).  I've ridden in the rain several times without dire results, but I'm also new at that so I tend to drive like an old lady in the wet, so YMMV.

No regrets so far, I'll likely buy another set when these wear down.

\'96 Steamer
\'11 800