News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Diesel Tiger and other Diesel stuff here

Started by Mustang, December 14, 2008, 06:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cascadetiger

Can't be because of the diesel sound since the Steamer motor already sounds like a diesel!

Mustang

From the bottom of the sump to the top of the valve cover at the highest point is approx 22 1/2 inches

the widest point on the engine is approx. 18 inches

the overall length is about 19 inches from the bottom front of motor to rearmost bottom frame mount

keep in mind that the o/a length is probably more due to the slight slant of the cylinders forward

it would appear that the Kubota would fit in the space as long as no special mounts are needed to marry the kubota to the tiger frame

coachgeo

Quote from: "Mustang"...what i can't understand is why you would want to go diesel, the fuel cost is more ,it is dirty and the power just aint gonna be there like the sweet 885 triple . :icon_scratch
The couple Tigers with this conversion are getting 95-100mpg using 900 +cc 3cyl diesel engines. Add the use of vegetable oil based fuels.... and I'm down to $0.50 to $1.00 per gallon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7BqPBvV ... re=related
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

coachgeo

Quote from: "Mustang"From the bottom of the sump to the top of the valve cover at the highest point is approx 22 1/2 inches

where is the widest point and is this left to right or front to back?

Which of your measurements includes the tranny area of the bike?

Mustang

Quote from: "coachgeo"
Quote from: "Mustang"From the bottom of the sump to the top of the valve cover at the highest point is approx 22 1/2 inches

where is the widest point and is this left to right or front to back?

clutch housing to LHS crankshaft cover width is approx 18 inch

QuoteWhich of your measurements includes the tranny area of the bike?
19 inches from bottom front of sump to rear bottom motor mount
if the dim's you listed for the kubota motor don't include a transmission it aint gonna fit

coachgeo

coachgeo

on the flywheel end would be a 3" belt drive pully

Mustang

what are you doing for transmission gearbox as I don't see a lot of room left for one you only have about 20 inches total on the steamer chassis from front to rear

coachgeo

6 speed ultima tranny

taken from this thread about another Diesel Tiger.  Second one built by Heicko.   Uses a Lombardini LDW1003 engine.

http://www.suckindiesel.com/thingy/view ... ilit=Tiger

coachgeo

according to the PDF I have on the engine Heicko used.. this Kubota is about the same size.  Some of the width is at top taken up by the IP therefor  the space below is available for the Ultima.

ramseybella

Quote from: "coachgeo"according to the PDF I have on the engine Heicko used.. this Kubota is about the same size.  Some of the width is at top taken up by the IP therefor  the space below is available for the Ultima.

So what is the cost to put one of these together?

coachgeo

lots has gone on since last posted here.  Today I took a step further and purchased a used engine.  It's a Kubota.  Will put out around same HP as the one used in the other dieselized tigers.  

More in the link

HERE IT IS

more about the land issue HERE

coachgeo

land issue somewhat resolved

Kubota to arrive middle of next week

coachgeo

oh..... and forgot to add.  Having to give up lots of beer money.... but safety first....   also got a new airbag jacket (Hit Air - Motorad) it's on the way.  Got it at more than 50% off of retail price.   Been searching and searching and searching for 6 months for one at something I could afford... this one little more than I can afford but the best deal I've seen yet.

Still looking for ALL other rider gear.  I have nothing.  ok.... wait.. I got one thing.  

A heated vest.  Does that count?  

Anyway, Great deal on that one too. Got it about  a month ago.

Sinnergy

After twenty years in full leathers, I went to a 'layered system', and the heated vest forms the base.  Almost all my riding is now (from the inside) T-shirt, then heated vest.  Depending on the temp, next may or may not be a sweatshirt, then my armour.  Depending on the temp/precipitation outlook, from there I may put on a windbreaker, or a full rainsuit.

Yes, in my opinion, the vest is the centrepiece of wide-range comfort riding gear.  What I love about this system is that the bits that I'm not wearing all roll up *much* smaller than just my leather pants used to.

Post your sizes; I'll bet that there're a lot of riders on the forum with perfectly serviceable pants, boots, gloves, etc. wasting away in a back closet.  With the exception of helmets, I love used gear (and in days gone by, I've had a number of used helmets too--these days, I'm just glad that I've only crash-tested fresh, modern helmets).

Glad to hear you're getting closer to the diesel steamer.

Sinn'