News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

NewYearsDay Ride 2005

Started by RedMenace, January 02, 2005, 05:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedMenace

Amy suggested we go for a ride today, so I called our friend Vince. He agreed to ride over the ridge from Mosier and we would ride back to his house together for a little sushi.
The Red Menace

RedMenace

After we rode the Rat Dog together last fall on a Ural GearUp, Vince bought Uncle Blasto's Ural Patrol. We called Uncle Blasto up to see if he wanted to join us. His response was not simply "no" but, "Hell No! That's why I sold the thing!"

I knew he had been up all night with a house full of teenaged girls-every man's dream and every father's nightmare-so I didn't take the rejection personally :lol:
The Red Menace

RedMenace

We headed up Fir Mountain Road, towards the junction with Huskey Road. The snow got deeper and the road turned steep and winding. The Tiger soon lost its footing and I was forced to stop and chain up. Vince came back to see what had happened to me and found the road surface too slick even with two wheel drive. He was going nowhere until Amy climbed  aboard to help him gain enough traction to drive out of the low side of the corner. Once I chained up the Triumph just steamed right up the hill!

It was beautiful up there. A fine crystaline snow was blowing off the ice encrusted trees, which loomed through the fog. The road was a ribbon of white, unspoiled by traffic.
The Red Menace

RedMenace

On Huskey Road, I stopped again, to check my chains. Vince came back to make sure I was OK. Just as we finished our palaver a couple of ATVs caught up with us- the only other people we saw out there . They had snow boards strapped to the rigs; we rode together for a ways, until they found a spot to get around Vince.
The Red Menace

RedMenace

We dropped off Huskey Road onto Wilson and down to Mosier Creek. We climbed back out of that canyon up the Eastside on Digger Road. We followed Vince along a maze of snow covered cutoffs to his log cabin outside of Mosier proper, near Rowena Dell. Vinces girlfriend, Cindy was there, and thier friends, Trish and Chuckie had come over to make sushi. I am not big fan of sushi, but I had some oyster, and some soup and a bit of "Hawaiian steak" wrapped in some rice and seaweed. There was also some excellent smoked wild turkey, washed down with warm saki and a can of PBR.

The light was fading when Amy and I made our good byes. We headed towards Mosier and were almost taken out by a ditzy soccer mom who ran a stop sign at the bottom of the hill. Wet snowy roads covered with gravel on a steep down hill makes for an interesting panic stop on the big Tiger. Thank god I have a training wheel!
The Red Menace

RedMenace

We climbed South west, out of Mosier canyon on Huskey Road. I had taken the chains off and didn't want to stop to put them back on. It was raining in Mosier and the road was clear until we got quite a ways out of town. Then it got pretty slippery, but by standing on the rear pegs I could get enough weight over the back wheel to keep climbing. I would lean on the handlebars to get the front tire to bite in the corners. We did OK until just below the summit of Huskey, when I lost it and fishtailed sideways off the road. Amy got out of the sidecar and climbed on back of the bike and we were able to continue without chaining up. Putting all the weight on the bike made the rig a little unstable. The sidecar had a tendency to pop off the ground in corners and over bumps so Amy had to shift betwen the passenger seat and the sidecar, neither sitting on the bike nor in the hack. When we cleared the top she moved back into the sidecar for the trip back down the otherside...
The Red Menace

RedMenace

The fog got quite thick and it was getting dark. The steep descent down Huskey and then Fir Mountain Road was extremely treacherous. We turned back down Swyers Drive, towards home. It was raining again, and most of the snow had melted off the road. We drove through a logging show, the idle equipment emerging from the fog like some kind of alien craft.

As the last light faded we got down off the mountain and pulled into our driveway.

We shed our muddy riding gear and headed for a nice, hot bath!
The Red Menace

Mudhen

WOW!  Awesome ride, RM!!!

I've been meaning to ask a couple questions of you about your rig:

What tires do you run - Karoos?

Is that a 21" front?

What front fender is that?  I was looking at some of the universal Acerbis ones...was it tricky mounting it?

Oh ya...and are you NUTS?   :lol:

Pat
\'96 Steamer

RedMenace

Quote from: "Mudhen"WOW!  Awesome ride, RM!!!

I've been meaning to ask a couple questions of you about your rig:

What tires do you run - Karoos?

Is that a 21" front?

What front fender is that?  I was looking at some of the universal Acerbis ones...was it tricky mounting it?

Oh ya...and are you NUTS?   :lol:

Pat

I have a Kenda K270 on the back and a 19" Kenda Trackmaster on the front. I also like the Conti TKC 80, but the Kendas are a third of the price!

Ural makes a good 19" knob which I am going to try on the front, and I have used a Kings 19" in the past, but the K270 is the best I have found for the rear tire.

The front fender is a UFO Universal I got from the local dirt bike shop.

I had mounted the fender to extended brackets on the sliders, but the fender would bash into the Jbox and triple tree when I bottom the forks. It broke the mounting brackets and made the brake lines leak at the junction, so I moved the fender and rerouted the brakes.

I used a chunk of aluminum angle and mounted it to the holes for the J box at the bottom triple tree. I got rid of the J box and rerouted the brakelines, using Stainless steel lines and fittings from the Dennis Kirk catalog, running a double banjo at the master cylinder and one line for each brake with no splitter or J box.

It was actually very simple to do, and since the 95 came with rubber brake lines, I wanted to upgrade to braided stainless anyway.

Nuts? Naw- I was away for awhile, but I'm better now!

:lol:
The Red Menace

Mr Mistoffelees

Excellant report and Pics  :D

p.s. Nutz -  I think you may need to go back in again  :lol:
There\'s no such Cat in the metropolis;

He holds all the patent monopolies

For performing suprising illusions

And creating eccentric confusions

Dalin

I enjoyed to read through the report and the pics are just great. It looks a bit like Crystal-Rally.  :wink:

Cheers

Dalin
Even in Africa there are Tiger.

Dick Boyer

Great pics. Something to be said for sidehacks. You can ride all year round.

ridin gaijin

That is a cool ride report. Best kind of ride--punish yourself for fun, and then a hot bath at the end of it! Have you shown any of the pics over on advrider?
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

RedMenace

Quote from: "ridin gaijin"That is a cool ride report. Best kind of ride--punish yourself for fun, and then a hot bath at the end of it! Have you shown any of the pics over on advrider?

not many lately. iused to post there all the time, but since they changed the protocol for posting photos I seldom bother
The Red Menace

Mudhen

Quote from: "RedMenace"but since they changed the protocol for posting photos I seldom bother

??

I did see a moderator over on the triumphrat site tell someone not to post pics in the threads due to download times for people with slow connections.  That's freakin' lame...

Something like that happen on advrider?
\'96 Steamer