News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Colorado Quick Trip

Started by Patrick the Scot, September 26, 2004, 04:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick the Scot

To All;

This past weekend I left on my first long ride on my first road bike, a new 2005 Triumph Tiger 955i.  It was quite a learning experience, and it was the most exhilarating three days I have had in a long time, maybe ever.  I will hit the highlights as I'm sure you all have had similar rides.

Left Lubbock, Texas, 0450 hrs on Friday, Sept. 17.  Made it all the way to Littlefield, TX ! (only 45 miles) Here I stopped and did the following: adjusted suspension, put on another layer under my riding jacket, changed to a warmer gloves, drank coffee, ate a burrito, and generally tied up any loose ends.   Once I had my act together I twisted a grip for New Mexico.

Stopped in Ft. Sumner, New Mexico, for fuel and saw a nice sunrise in the rear view on the way to Vaughn.  Hit 110 mph for about 20 miles across the desert.  That will keep you awake.  From Vaughn I went up to Clines Corners and then into Albuquerque.

In Albuquerque I stopped at Pj's Triumph and bought a t-shirt.  PJ noticed that my drive chain was to tight so they wheeled it in the back to adjust it.

Off to Durango after lunch at Blake's in Bernalillo.  Hooked up with some Harley bikers for about 100 miles.  Arrived in Durango about 1600 hrs.  545 miles from Lubbock.  Laid up in the hotel and enjoyed the sights, sounds, and mountain air from the balcony.

Saturday I left Durango for Silverton and got my first taste of the twisties... You must appreciate the CODOT engineers with all those glorious corners!  Once in Silverton, I ate breakfast at some really good breakfast joint.  From there I went up the dirt road to Animas Forks.  After that, back to Silverton and up over Red Mountain pass to Ouray.  

Hooked up with a Goldwinger out of Denver and we rode together up to Montrose and then over to Gunnison.  In Gunnison I poked around a bit and then went on over to Salida, Colorado. To get to Salida from the west you go over Monarch Pass.  What a blast that was!  Oh yeah, I was getting kind of cocky about half way up Monarch and entered too hot into what I thought was a left hand sweeper.  As it turned out it was a left hand diminishing radius with no camber.  The corner went left and I saw nothing but clear thin refreshing Colorado air ahead of me, no road, no dirt, just thin air.  So I hopped on both brakes, for just an instant.  That was all it took: I made the corner.  That was the only scare of the whole trip.

In Salida, I figured I'd had enough fun for one day. So I pulled in at about 1600 hrs to the Econo Lodge.  I drank some spirited remedies until midnight with about twenty other bikers from four different groups.  The hotel made us shut down because we were too loud.  

Sunday, Sept. 18, 0800 left Salida for Lubbock.  Went east to Texas Creek then south to Walsenburg, Colorado.  Hit rain over Raton Pass.  Hooked up with two Harley riders out of Raton. Hit a major rain storm about 30 miles west of Clayton, New Mexico.  The Harley riders were not wearing helmets so they must of got beat to shit. I changed pants, boots and socks in Dalhart, Texas.  Nothing but solid wind from Dumas to Lubbock.

1345 miles.  Averaged 50 MPG.  Need rain gear, center stand, throttle meister, cee baily's +6 wide +8 1/2 tall windscreen, highway pegs, and four more days in Colorado.

I am planning to go again ASAP next summer.

Anyone up for a Big Bend run this winter?

Cheers;

Patrick
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Sasquatch

Hey, that all looks familiar.  Too bad you couldn't have made the ADVrally in July.

Plan for next year, it looks like I might be hosting the rally in Idaho City.

Patrick the Scot

I read your ride report on both the Ouray ADV rally and the labor day trip.  It looks like you guys up in Idaho rally have some great riding...  What are the dates of next years ADV rally that you mentioned?
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Patrick the Scot

I would have made the rally, but at the time all I had was a DRZ 470 dirt bike (with road legal baja kit).  Not a good rig to lay down 500+ miles per day on.

BigDave

](*,)

You were right there!  Too bad you didn't go up Cinnamon or Engineer while you were up there.  Even to the top & back from Animas Fork would have only take ya 45 minutes at the most for either pass.  Oh well, there is always next time.   Silver '05 looks sweet.  :D

Patrick the Scot

Big Dave and all;

Yes I opted to take the paved route over the top via Red Mountain Pass.  I really wanted to ride from silverton to Ouray on 550 because it looked like it would be so much fun on a bike.  The only other time I had seen that stretch of road was in a big Dodge truck so this trip I really wanted to ride it with two wheels.  Consequently, I did not make it over Cinnamon to Lake city like you would have thought...  In my heart I have a real soft spot for Colorado, so I will be there every three day weekend that I can muster up - I'll take the Tiger over Cinnamon or Engineer for sure. However, my next trip is down to Big Bend this November.  My K1200LT riding buddy from Austin wants to go down into Mexico form Presidio.  We will see.

ridin gaijin

Quote from: "Patrick the Scot"Need rain gear, center stand, throttle meister, cee baily's +6 wide +8 1/2 tall windscreen, highway pegs, and four more days in Colorado.

:D  :D

I think you can buy everything on that list...that is except the last item...the most important!

Sounds like a really good ride--your Tiger must've liked the altitude as much as you did.
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...