News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear axle position - lowering

Started by NZDeano, March 16, 2012, 01:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NZDeano

Found a site about lowering the tiger at  http://www.adrianmolloy.com/index.html  
I have a 2003 Girly that I wouldn't mind lowering a bit if at all possible. Can anyone give me some feedback about setting the rear axle position to the opposite of standard, thereby lowering the back end by an inch or so. I noticed that I would need to put a washer / spacer under the chaingaurd as it slightly rubs.
Feedback about doing this and adjusting the chain after doing it would be appreciated. Like, is it a good idea to do?
He also suggested that if you do this, do it in combination with dropping the forks through the clamps by a similar amount and setting the rear suspension to softest / lowest setting. Hmmmm?????
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

KuzzinKenny

In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

iansoady

As Kenny says, everything's in that thread. I did mine shortly after buying it (after falling over with it twice!) and no problems at all - now 7 years on.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

NZDeano

Quote from: "iansoady"As Kenny says, everything's in that thread. I did mine shortly after buying it (after falling over with it twice!) and no problems at all - now 7 years on.

Firstly thanks Kenny, I had tried a search, must be entering the wrong phrase or something

So Ian, is that exactly what yopu did. Rotate the concentric axle, set the chain gaurd up, and drop the forks through the clamps???
A couple of questions to go with it.
1. What sort of difference did this make?
2. Do you still adjust the chain in the normal way?
3. Any adjustments done to the suspension, he recommends setting it to softest setting, but I am not sure of this, as it is already soft.
Thanks guys, gonna try this eh.
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

iansoady

Quote from: "NZDeano"So Ian, is that exactly what yopu did. Rotate the concentric axle, set the chain gaurd up, and drop the forks through the clamps???
A couple of questions to go with it.
1. What sort of difference did this make?
2. Do you still adjust the chain in the normal way?
3. Any adjustments done to the suspension, he recommends setting it to softest setting, but I am not sure of this, as it is already soft.

1. No appreciable difference in handling as far as I could see

2. I now check the top run rather than the bottom as there's more clearance there - but still use the same (50mm) slack.

3. I use the normal settings - I can't see why you should soften it. I'm fairly heavy so have mine a couple of clicks back from max normally then max when panniers etc fully loaded. Works for me.

The amount the forks can go up through the clamps is a bit less than the amount the back wheel rises (hit the bars) which in theory probably make it slightly slower steering which suits me anyway.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

davolimar

Impatient question (because I'm still awaiting my Haynes manual but can't wait to get started!)

How do you actually 'flip the eccentrics'? My bike is an early 2004 Tiger.

PeteH

Quote from: davolimar on July 14, 2014, 10:56:37 AM
Impatient question (because I'm still awaiting my Haynes manual but can't wait to get started!)

How do you actually 'flip the eccentrics'? My bike is an early 2004 Tiger.

Slacken the pinch bolts with the allen key provided in the tool kit (under the seat) then rotate both eccentrics also using the two allen keys provided. If its anything like mine you may have to slacken the axel too...not to much tho  :nod
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

iansoady

You shouldn't slacken the spindle as that can lead to the wheel being misaligned (assuming it isn't to start with). The whole lot should rotate as a unit.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

nickjtc

And if one does the flip thing, am I right that you have to scribe new alignment marks at the top of the swing arm?
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"