News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Copper Canyon - Mexico 2001 tiger

Started by Montek, April 16, 2012, 09:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GatorTiger

Quote from: "fishnbiker"My photos of Mexico are at   http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com/motorcycles.

Fixed...  8)
Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine! \";-)\"

Know this:  A clean Tiger is a dirty shame!!

Montek

So, we head out in search of a little place, like 3 or 4 homes little place called rio colorado.  We find it, but had 2 choices of roads.  I ask a local and he points in a direction.  We go that direction.  Further up the road we are in full blown road construction.  I mean the beginning of dirt work, pretty rough stuff

Nasty stuff.

Further up the road is a truck stuck.  It was sliding into a very large and extremely deep crevis.  Barely enough room for us to negotiate around it, its off camber, has a couple big rocks to dodge, truck on one side, mountain side rock on the other.  We all manage to get by without a drop.  We travel 50 yards, ask a construction guy directions and he points in the same direction we a re going.  That makes two guys sending us in the same direction, thats good.  Keep in mind about an hour has passed.  We round a corner on this nasty crap someone has declared a road and BAAMM.  The road ends, guys come running at us like we're not suposed to be there!!! wtf.  Heffe' gets to us and describes in detail with pretty good english - we are drilling to enable blasting for the road and it would be real good if we were to leave elpronto.  We do just that.  I get ahead, past the stuck truck and photo John

An hour back to rio colorado and we begin recon.  after 60 seconds, dan is back and has found the way.  The guys we asked either didn't understand or they was "jus fucken wich us".  We cross the river and are then again confronted with a choice - left or right.  I chose left and it is a Critical left.  Ya I made this choice by my gps - sometimes right, sometimes wrong, hey its mejico!!!

This was tyo be the "new road" to urique.  And it was a bit of a tuff burger.

steep, loose rocks, hairpin corners, switchbacks up the wazoo.  Ya, it was new, as in build the road and make it as steep as possible, don't pack it, and don't even run a grader on the steep part cause ya might rool it off the cliff.  It was a stinkin blast to ride.  Had to kep momentum going cause it would have been a bee awtch to get moving again on the steep grade so no pics.  Luckily no one went down.  Game face was on and serious for this section.  We get to the top, and theres this nice wide, smooth graded section across this dry waste land

Notice the barren landscape.  it was hot and dry on this side of the mountain.  Absolutely barren

I stop at the one, ya the only 1, THEE 1 shade tree around.  We are into this days ride about 3 hours now and its hot, we are sucking down water.

Here come John and Dan

Taking a break after sweating our asses of.

Pretty much dead all around us.  Look over the seat of the tiger and you'll see dead animal remains.  I was thinking at that time we may be in trouble if it gets hot and the roads don't get better

Guess we better get going and see whats in store for us around the corner

So we ride about 10 minutes on o.k. dirt and get to a pull off area.  I just kinda vear over a bit to see whats what and I see this, stop, take a picture

According to my gps, maps and conferring with the other two, thats URIQUE.  We must have some bad info cause its supposed to take like 8 or 9 hours to get there.  Its right there, we get a little hyped up thinking easy day, should be there in an hour or less, drinking carte blanca beer.

Feeling good about everything, I tear off knowing we don't have far to go and I can dick around a little.  Who cares if I dump the bike, we don't have far to go.  Dan and I rip ass for 20 or 30 minutes.  stop, wait for john.  o.k., no john, wait, no john, can't hear a bike either, and we should atleast hear a bike.  Ya, it was a little challenging, but if you kept the speed up, the bikes could handle most anything this section could throw in front of it.  I one did happen to slow, I could see a slow tipover.

As you can see, we were playing leap frog.  I was in the lead, i get ahead, stop, wait for Dan.  Dan shows up, he stops and waits for John to come into sight, when he sees john he takes off.  That way we keep track of eachother. For some reason, I felt I needed to wait with Dan to make a visual, its just one of those feelings you get sometimes.  As I mentioned, no John.  So, we both head down the mountain.  We do spread out as its pretty steep and didn't want to risk sliding into dan and knocking him the mountain.  Ya, it was that steep, one doesn't just stop.  You apply brakes, slide 50 feet, slow down a little and start appling the front brake gently to assist in the stop!! the rear tire just wants to slide.  A bit technical!!.  Come around a corner and see this :shock:

John had a little hiccup.  He had started unpacking, riding the bike of extra wieght and got the bike back upright and began packing back up

It was damn hot, bout 95 degrees F. hot.  We got john back going and put him in the lead and told him to stop when he needed a break.

taking a break

At this time, my water bladder goes dry, no prob., I got more.  take out the 2 liters, fill up bladder, all good, not far to go!

From the rest stop we could see where we came from

Big cats are faster

Rocinante

You make me want to go back.... :new_popcornsmiley
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

fishnbiker

Quote from: "Rocinante"You make me want to go back.... :new_popcornsmiley

Dag, you are close enough to get to a similar ride in the ATLAS Mountains in Morocco. Similar roads, lovely people. I loved it!

It would be lovely to see some Tiger photos on those twisties & pistes between Marrakech & M'Hamid

My photos at http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com/travel
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Rocinante

Quote from: "fishnbiker"Dag, you are close enough to get to a similar ride in the ATLAS Mountains in Morocco. Similar roads, lovely people. I loved it!

It has been and is being considered. :)
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

Montek

Get there in the next couple years, things are changing fast.  Baja is getting blacktop every where also.  

Morocco, thats on the list of places for Dan, John and myself also.

Think a 10 or 14 day trip through baja is next winter and then we start crossing the pond to ride.  India/tibet.  Vietnam, Morocco, Africa, Australia, there is so much to see and ride, so little time and money to get it done.  I need a sugar momma to fund these rides :lol:  and allow me to not work, just ride :wink:
Big cats are faster

Montek

sorry, had to actually get some work completed to pay for the next trip.  

Here we go, heading to Urique, a break, and thinking we aren't far from beer

Yep, those are the zig zags going down to the river crossing into Urique

Little did we know(cause this is a new road and no map available) the road diverts the opposite direction to go around a very steep and deep canyon that is basically not travelable by vehicle. so we ride, ride ride and ride.  It is now 108 degrees f., about 2:00 in the afternoon, I have sucked dry all my water bladder, all my water bottles, and one hot coke thats been bouncing most of the day.  I am hot and thirsty.  Come around a corner and see this welcome sight

That sign was a welcome relief knowing we were atleast on the correct road to urique.

From the sign area we could see the lower part of the road cut along the side of that mountain.  At the sign area, we are now officially out of any consumable liquid.  No water, no gaterade, no pop, no beer, no milk, no nothing :shock: .  We can not see the zig zags from this vantage point.  We begin to worry about our judgement of time and miles to urique.  We all are feeling the effects of the sun beating on us in 108 degree F., with no water - how far is it????? can we make it????

The road cut in the mountain

The road looks like a great road.  But, there was a lot of nice little rounded pebbles and the road was like concrete and it created a ball-bearing type effect. we knew we were close, cause the road improved.

We made it to the zig zags, and started the rode that was cut into the mountainside.  this took a little longer than expected. about an hour or longer.  we be getting way dehydrated at this point.

John says, come look over the edge

Its serious dehydration time for all of us.  we are running low on energy, we all have a slight headache, just feeling a little out of sorts knowing it is dehydration.  We have been riding since early a.m. its about 4:30 p.m. its been a tough ride, and did I mention we were getting seriously dehydrated.  

I am back in the lead just pushing as hard as I dare.  Come sliding down this fairly steep incline and see this

We all waste no time taking clothes off and in we go.  We soaked in the river for sometime just getting body core temps down.  I swear I heard a sizzle sound when my feet hit the water.  

It was hot for the locals also.  these two were in the river the entire time we were there.

The river was damn refreshing, but we were still in need of hydration.  John and Dan were starting the foot and leg cramp thing, we were toast and still had to get the bikes across the river and 10 miles yet to Urique
We were so in trouble with dehydration at this point, it was a chore to get going again.  none of us wanted to suit back up, but, beer was on john tonite, and i WAS thirsty.

Dan getting accross

Me battling the mighty river

John entering the currunt

Dan and I are on the other side and the conversation went down something like this

me go right, go right
Dan - oh shit, oh shit
me- he's going off the mark
Dan - go right go right
me - shit, he's gonna get stuck
Dan- don't drop it, don't drop it
me FUCK, he's stuck
Dan - I'll rock paper sizzors you to see who goes to fetch him.

I volunteered :lol: hell, it was cool out there, and Dans boots are waterproof so would take days to dry out.

Wading out to give a push

After getting John out of the mud and back up on the rocks

Back on solid ground and dealing with water issues

felt good to be accross the river.  Its a little harder than it looks.  the crossing area is constructed more for trucks and pickups than for motorcycles.  it is constructed of grapefruit sized and basketball sized rocks.  there were just a couple big rocks, but if you hit one, it would through you off coarse.  Dan and I did not hit one, John, on the other hand, blasted one and put him in the mud.  He might have been o.k. but when tightened up from the hit, he immediately cramped up and was incabable of recovery.  THAT IS HOW DEHYDRATED WE ALL WERE AT THIS POINT.  We were in real trouble, and we all knew it. we got the hell going fast.

But still had a state of mind to share the pretty stuff

So, the last 10 miles and then finding our way through urique to the hotel took about 35 minutes, 35 minutes of dirty, hot grinding ride on seat that i was tired of and my arms are like spagettii, and oh so thirsty

This was a blissful sight, high fives all around, fist pumps, middle fingers extended and pointing in the direstion we came

This is no lie! before getting a room or even talking bout a room, we raided the cooler of 6 liters of water, 3 fresca's(lemmon-lime pop), 3 fanta orange pops, and 2 cokes.  The water went down first and was like a small glass.  then we moved on to the hard stuff just to cut the crud in the mouth.

We get the room arranged, bikes parked in secure area, cold ass showers all around, and a walk to get food and refreshments

The beer was cold cold cold and the food was yum yum yum

Next up our stay in Urique and visiting with the locals about employment, jobs, and just what the heck a guy does to make money in urique.  this was an unbelievable conversation

John and Dan were dealing with cramps and charlie horses all night.  I was lucky and didn't have any major cramps, just a few foot cramps from being on the pegs all day.
But, we did down about 8 liters of water each before we turned in for the night, and no one got up to pee that night.  we were real close to serious dehydration problems.

later
Big cats are faster

fishnbiker

Any more pix of Urique? Batopilas was my destination last time there. Been into Creel by train from El Fuerte the first time. Got to see Temoris & some of the other villages along the track, but only one visit on 2 wheels.

I hope you guys learned to carry more water in those climates. We went for a walk into the big sand dunes in Erg Chebbi. 2 of us went though 4 litres in a couple of hours. The river would have been made safe with a few disinfectant tablets.

Been too busy exploring my own back yard in British Columbia, Spain,  & Morocco to get back down there soon.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Montek

fishnbiker, I do have more pics of urique.  they are coming up.

the crazy thing about the water, we each had 8 liters with us - about all we could carry.  maybe another liter stuck somewhere.  bad thing about a trip like this,one is limited to space.  we were on bike bikes and wanted to keep loads down to manageable sizes.  water purifiers and tablets were not brought because there is no water other than the rivers which are close to towns.

had we not known where urique was when we arrived at the river, we most likely would have stopped at one of only a few locals adobe homes and asked for aqua - ran the water trough several layers of clothes and then consumed.  but, once we did hit the zig zags, and the river, we new we could make it, it was almost to the unsafe mark.  Looking at weather before we left, itlooked like low 90's were going to be the norm, not 108.

When you ride the train, you miss 90% of the canyon.  its fricken huge.

The road from creel to batopilas will be new and all blacktop soon.  like as in maybe the next 6 months if they bust ass, or if typical mexico fashion, 2 years.

Urique coming up
Big cats are faster

fishnbiker

Were you carrying the water, or using Camelbacks? I found a combination works well. I use the old liners from "bag in a box" wine for on bike storage. It can be moulded to fit almost anywhere. My Camelback also carries a few necessities that always stay with me if I need to abandon the bike ... multitool knife, lighter, compass, Mini Maglite, GPS batteries, Cel (if signal is likely), TP, documents, etc.

In British Columbia, where I live, water is never an issue, so we could drink from almost any source fairly safely. I learned from a trip into the Sahara east of Marrakech in 1971 how precious it can be. Still, even suspect water may be safer than none.

The train has its own charm, including locals, Indians, & lovely, if somewhat crowded scenery as well. We also went horse riding around the canyon near Divisidero, which was a terrific diversion on its own.
Ken/Fishnbiker

Montek

Yep, camelbacks and bottles stashed everywhere.  I agree, the train has a real charm to it, and highly reccomend it.  One gets treated to a variety of experiences without the interoir canyon travel which takes days and most travelers (unlike most of us here) do not want the task of "FINDING" thier way in Mexico.  

That being said, the train is a really cool experience!!!

Water, it was simple, we just didn't have enough for that particular day.  We had plenty every other day we travelled.  It was just a brutal day.  Hot, dry, dusty, Bright sun beating down on us, and absolutely no shade.  It was a real rough portion of the canyon - nothing but low growing shrubby stuff -mesquite, scrub oaks, dwarf junipers, and no wind so the dust just sayed looming in the air.  

I would do it again in a heartbeat, it was that much fun :D

Try to get more pics up tonite

Monte
Big cats are faster

fishnbiker

Glad to hear the water issue didn't create real difficulties. Sometimes, where I live, too much is an issue.

Having been at least to Creel & Temoris by train, I saw enough to force me back on the bike. I have always searched out scenic railways, making many long bike ride destinations at a rail town... Durango & Silverton, Ft Bragg Skunk Train, White Pass & Yukon, Spain, Morocco, France, Italy, Japan, etc. Even got a ride on the Royal Monaco Railway during a French rail strike. Not as much exercise as on a bike, but very mellow & memorable.
Ken/Fishnbiker

Montek

Gotta ride the trains, its just a guy thing - Trains are cool.  Bad thing about the u.s. is we can't just hop a train to some place.  As a young kid, 6-9 years old, I could catch a train ride from the middle of nebraska to western nebraska where the grandparents lived.  depot to depot was really cool and the automobile took over, and passenger trains gave way cargo trains.
Big cats are faster

Montek

Here comes urique

After the hydration episode, we get the bikes parked in the secure area by the room

The above building is located behind the check in building and also behind the gate

Boots and gear drying outside the room from the river wading

After getting situated with the room, hydration, bikes secure, a shower was in order.  This is kinda funny - after the shower, we were all talking about how good the shower felt - no hot water was used, we did the same thing, stand under the cold water and cool off.  

Cooled off, cleaned up, man oder reduced to managable, we head out to see the town - after a couple charlie horses for Dan and John.  We Slowly make our way towards the check-in area at the hotel to purchase more aqua the walk to town.  The owner comments "sorry for the inconvenience of no hot water, the generator shut off, must have gotten to hot."  We laugh, we wouldn't have know had they not told us!!!!!

Wandering the streets like the street trash we are

We wonder around and find this resturante.  Doesn't look like much on the outside, but you walk in and past a room in the front, past the kitchen, and enter the outdoor seating area.  It was nice in the shade

This is what we were waiting for

Well, this wasn't so bad either, very tasty

This next picture may make your eyes water, thats how hot the HOT sause was.  Dan lives in Texas, I have spent a lot of time in Texas, I live in Arizona, travel New Mexico often, Dan and I agreed, this stuff was easily in the top 3 of all time hot shit.

After 4/6 beers to cool mouth off, we head back out to see more town

This is where all the tough MF's come to test thier running endurance

Complete with a list of the toughest MF's

The next set of events of the nite were really interesting.

First, when we leave the resturante, we see the guy and gale that run the hotel, we say hi, they ask how the food was bla bla bla, we say delicious bla bla bla, we ask "you eating here" his response, every meal, mom and dad  me and wife own the place.  Funny and gets better.  So we walked around and found the ultra marathon deal, took pictures and decided we needed a couple more beers before bedtime.  The local mercado(store) was right across the street from the motel, we walk in, go to the coolers, NO BEER!!!!  we walk to the check out counter, and guess who is there getting ready to close up, counting the cash register money, yep, the hotel owner/resturante owner ---- and now mercado owner.  Pretty sure this guy could find anything you needed for a comfortable evening in Urique, complete with companionship :lol:   So, we ask, we do get beer, well, d'oh the resturante.   So, we head back down the hill.  Walk in, and realize we left camera's at the hotel(so no pics of this next event).

Walk in go to the outdoor area, and it is packed with all local guys, no girls.
Just guys drinking beers at the local establishment - felt alot like home, except everyone was speaking spanish and drinking carte' blanca beer.

We joined right in.

Sitting next to us was an interesting guy.  He was a school teacher in Chiuaua!  Grew up in Urique, was on Easter break, spoke really good english.  

He heard us talking and asked where we were from, what we were doing, where we were going, friendly guy.  Visited for atleast 3 beers with him before we asked this question "whats everyone do around here to make money"  this got real interesting.  I suspected a response like farmers, rancher type work, agricutural work.  Oh, it was agricultural work allright.
Went down like this

Him, ---- well, i think you know it as maryjane-most everyone grows maryjane or has at one time.  But maryjane no bueno any more.  Used to get $2,000 peso's for a kilo of maryjane.  But now, the cartels come and say when ready, i give you $xxxx peso's for a kilo. When grower arrives with product, they say $500 peso's.  They are the only buyers right now cause they killed all the compitition, so guess what it sells for -- yep $500.00 peso's, that like $45.00 U.S. dollars for a kilo of maryjane.  The local Mexican people absolutely hate the cartels and what they have done to thier economy.  The cartels have cut thier prices for goods, ran off all the travelers, kill anyone who opposes them, not real popular.

He then goes on to tell us most maryjane growers have switched to the "little flower" ya, poppy's - or, the source for opium.  They can make more money with opoium.  Fricken unbelievable conversation.  By the time we left that night, we knew how this whole thing worked.  The locals were just a riot telling us about thier exploits in agriculture.  Anyway, it was just an awesome evening of entertainment and getting to know the locals of Urique.  Pretty sure none of this would have happened with out the friendly school teacher.  

And here is some more info for the copper canyon traveler.  everyone in town knows when the cartels are around, the bad guys, i mean everyone.  they will tell any visitors to the area to stay in thier motel after dark if any cartel is around, and in case you didn't get the hint, most towns are filled at night with locals.  Its hot during the day, they stay inside out of the sun if possible.  The houses are small and most have no t.v., so at nite, they head to the town central for visiting, playing, and it is cooler than the inside of the house till late in the evening-its a culture thing- SO, if nobody is out, you better get your ass back inside, bad things are happening that night.  All this info was shared by the school teacher.  

DO NOT let this keep you from the canyon, its a fact and always has been a drug-growing area.  the locals will take care of you!!!  Its what makes it an adventure for an adventurer - there has to be some risk or its not an adventure- and I would go back today if work and money wasn't required.

AND, do not turn this into a "is mexico safe" thread.  This info was shared because it was something never shared by a local before and is some good info for your travels.  

After all that, we head back to the hotel for a nights rest so we can head to elfurte in the a.m.

Breakfast at the same resturante the next morning

breakfast was also tasty,    but the coffee suked, not an instant coffe fan

We need fuel for the bikes so we get direction to the local Pemex.  We get there and it is locked up.  We ask the neighbors when it opens, they say 20 minutes, or thats what we thought they said.  Time goes by, no one shows up.  we head back to the mercado to visit with george.  he tells us the pemex has been closed all week cause the gas truck didn't show up.  Now we are in trouble.  We need fuel "Bad".  George gets on the phone and starts calling anyone he knows to see if they can spare a gallon or liter or whatever to get us to mesa aturo for fuel.  NO luck-we decide to see if we can make it the 30 miles to arturo.  

Here is george, tell him hello for me if your in town

Big cats are faster

Montek

Off we go back up in elevation to get out of the Urique canyon area and in search of fuel.  Supposedly, fuel was only 40 kliometers away, but, when asking locals about mileage and time, its always within an hour or so - most do not know because they have never been to the "next town over" so they assume its close - thats the conclusion I came to anyway.

Pee break working our way up the mountain

The roads were much better.  We knew they would get much better after Urique.  And it proved out!  Wider, smoother, faster

At the top is quite a veiwing area built by the Mex gov't.  can see a long way from up here.  This took about 30 minutes to reach

What it looks like

A few tourist around and thier transportation to the top

Views!!  that urique down there

This shows the vastness of the area

We were standing in awe of the place and we hear the bus driver start rounding up people to get moving again.  Not want to get stuck behind a slow, dusty bus, we hustle around and get gone before they do!

A shack built into the side of the mountain.  Literally right on the road

Not to far up the road was mesa arturo.  Stop, ask the local where the gasilina is, and he points right across the road.  As luck would have it, I stopped at just the right place.  This is what you look for in remote areas

55 gallon drums

Those 55 gallon drums fill these containers whch then fill your bike, which you then start adding up the litres to pay the guy his high price cause he paid regular price and sells it for muey profit

But, in the end it was o.k. cause the beemers both hit reserve about 10 miles out.  "schew" that was close

The tiger getting a much needed drink.  Never hit the low fuel light, so had a ways to go yet.  Notice the cut out pop bottle for the funnel, and the used oil container for gasoline - high class fuel stop, lol.  It was well worth it.

Did you see the cute little shits by the tiger?  We were lucky, grandpa was babysitting the grandkids today. very cute kids

Look close above and you will see a black dog-I say "picture of dog" "photogragpho de perro and the little boy grabs the dog and

Tiger was very thirsty

This whole gas thing takes some time with three bikes.  So we visit with the kids, loved thier pictures being taken, and we gave them some gum.  This is no lie, they didn't know what it was.

Here the little girl is sucking on the gum

When we first gave it to them, they sniffed it, and then put it in their mouth, foil wrapper and all.  We then showed them HOW/WHAT to do with the gum.   They would chew it, take it out of thier mouth, look at it, sniff it, chew it some more it was hillarious.

cute little kids in the house

Take another look at the inside, see the little wood or coal fired stovetop thingy to heat up meals on

These people don't require much!!!  Well, after we were satisfied we had ruined the teeth of small children in a small mexican village, we hit the road for el furte via tubarus

This is what happens to beemers when you ride them hard-they take frequent naps

Just past mesa arturo you hit a veriety of roads and there are 3 crucial turns or you come to a dead end many miles away and have to head back. Lucky for us, there was always someone close by that we could ask.  Also, there is a huge mine or 3 in the area and huge mining trucks were everywhere further down the road about 20 miles.  This was good and bad.

The good was-roads were wide.  The bad, the roads were not wide enough, the trucks turned the road into this deep talcum powder stuff the locals call pulvo(as in pulverized to dust), the roads were twisty enough you couldn't really see on coming traffic.

No pics of this as 1) we were to busy keeping the bikes right side up in the deep talc(it was like riding through deep water, you could feel the talc splash up on your pant legs as if it were water)  2) trying to pass the slow trucks through all the talc and dust  3) trying to stay on the road cause we couldn't see past are own dust from the front wheel on the tight switchbacks.

Finally out of the crappy mine area and all the talc-found the only shade around and took a break

we were a bit dirty by this time

Back on the road to tubarus

Tubarus is down there somewhere

There it is, our lunch stop

There isn't much in Tubarus and we new this ahead of time so we packed accordingly.  There was a small store here that sells water, pop, chips kinda stuff.  about 108 degrees F again today, but did much better on water management.  Found a shade tree by this old church and grave yard and set up or food stand

We asked around if anyone was hungery, but no one replied

Lunch over, back on the road

Great rodes, fast roads

Dan and I are crusing along, side by side, handle bar to handle bar.  When we came to tight turns, one of us would hang back(alternating) catch back up and fly.  Just staying out of the dust, John really appreciated us for that :lol:  So, we come around a corner, Dan pins it slides it around, I pin it and slide the back end around and stay on so I can catchback up and ding his handlebars.  All of the sudden , Dan slams on the brakes, just then I catch a tecate beer store out of the corner of my eye and in a split second make the connection - stoppy for beer!!!  I almost slide right in to Dan and his bike, but somehow save it.  Now, we were flying, 50mph to 70mph(80kph to 110kph) Johns not riding that fast, we buy beer and have it down before we hear john, we wonder out to the road and moon him as he comes around the corner - catch him so off gaurd, he sticks the bike in the deep sand on the side of the road.  Dan and I are bukleing the snakes back up when a local drives up, gives john a push out, which john was so kind to roost the shit out him :P , gets out comes over laughing his ass off and we handed him a coke while we had another beer :lol:  8)    great set of events that was, one of the most memorable

We laugh, get over it, and get moving.  But before we do, we ask how far Choix(choice) is, its our fuel stop before el fuerte.  She didn't know :shock:  :? , never been there in her life.  We were thinking less than 20 miles-and she had never been there.  Turns out it was eight miles to the pavement and 3 more to Choix.

Getting fuel at the Pemex - hot chicks fueling vehicles

This one is explaining the difference between gasolina and desiel to Dan

We aired the tires back up as it was 20 miles of high speed asphalt to El Fuerte.  when I say high speed, we were doing our usual 120kph in an 80kph zone when a little white hyudia screams buy at something like 150 kph-didn't know those things could even go that fast.  Well, that just meant game on-fastest 20 miles I think I have ever done :wink:

We get to El fuerte, find a place to stay and it has a pool! :)   Well, it had a pool cause after we checked in, we went from bikes to underwaer to pool as fast as one can,  Now the pool is more like a pond :lol:

bikes parked securely

The pool/pond

Next up the night in El Fuerte(the fort) beer, food, great street vender food :)

later
Big cats are faster