News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Filler cap drain?

Started by JTT, May 28, 2012, 10:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin_Tiger

Try pouring some Akavit down the tube, that usually clears my tubes out  :ImaPoser

Seriously, try vinegar or mild caustic soda solution to at least soften it up.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Putts255

I was going to say the same thing, you need to soften that plugged up part and then reem it out.  It looks like calcium hard water deposit type stuff which can be very stubborn to remove.  If you can get a small syringe and squirt it down the top and let it sit for a while.  Use your long wire and go at it from the top after waiting for an hour or so.  Then pour some more down and continue to do it until you break through.  May take several times to clear it up but it should break out eventually. 

Good Luck! 
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ChillMan

Akvavit? I'll pour that down my throat instead. Not before driving the Tiger though. :)

Pouring liquids down the hole would be very difficult, because it's a tiny hole and obviously it wouldn't flow through, AND the gasoline tank is RIGHT THERE... scary.

Plus, I simply had decided to not open the cap until I had solved the problem, especially since it would be FULL of rain water from yesterday's bad weather.

Today I dismounted all again, used a tiny screwdriver which went all the way in, but there was still no flow. Gave up, mounted everything, thinking I'll just let the service mechanic do it. Then I took a strong 15cm wire with plastic coating used to tie trees (bending branches into shape and what not). Dismounted again and tried - I could push it all the way in (which was necessary!) - and after some in-out motion, all the rain water came out!

I opened the cap and saw the water disappear. It's a nice feeling to solve a small but annoying problem, especially when it was not as easy as people said! :hat10

NortonCharlie

01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: ChillMan on May 13, 2015, 05:10:38 PM
Spent another half hour today with a collegue, using drill bits. We got out just some small particles of white hard stuff, had to give up. It's really stuck.

Simple, they said. You can do it, they said.  It's so easy, they said.  :^_^

It's usually just the bottom 10mm or so and when you break through you know because a bit of cruddy water runs out.  Hold a drill slightly smaller than the ID of the tube in a pin vice or small chuck

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20PC-MICRO-HSS-DRILLS-4PC-PIN-VICE-JEWELLERY-MAKING-WATCH-REPAIR-MODEL-CRAFT-/390717321741?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5af891320d

and keep working at it until you get it clear.  From memory, it goes up about 40mm straight so you are safe digging in a fair way with the drill.  Anyway, you'll feel if it changes from limescale to metal   :icon_lol:   Don't use a power drill.  Obviously  :nono
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Good news  :thumbsup I would still be tempted to block off the lower end and fill the thing up something that will soften the remaining crud and give it a good clean out to stop it building up again.

Bixxer Bob

My post appeared out of sync for some reason, anyway, glad it's sorted.  When we said it's easy enough, maybe ours weren't so bad as yours  :icon_lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ChillMan

It's blocked again. That didn't last long. :)

Your Ebay link was very nice but I only need one single metal drill bit, right? What would be the perfect "mm" diameter of the bit? (Plus, unfortunately that seller doesn't send here.)

I understand what you are saying about vinegar and other stuff but how would I get it into the very tiny hole without getting any of it into the tank?

ChillMan

Today I stuck a small screwdriver (2mm diameter) up in the hole and surprisingly it went in without using any force whatsoever. Some few cl of liquid dripped out. Didn't find any sticky white stuff in there.   :hat10

Problem solved... for a few weeks, I guess.  :wheel

Sin_Tiger

Try a small syringe, most pharmacist will stock a variety of sizes for just a couple of Euro's.