News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

uk owners this is what you need to clear your carbs out

Started by windscreenman1, August 27, 2012, 09:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windscreenman1

hi all
97 steamer coughed spluttererd and farted up to 2500 rpm (dreaded pilot jets) :sign13 :sign13
looked on the net :XXcomputer for an alternative to stripping as they can be a pig to do :pottytrain2 and found an ad
for PROFI FUEL MAX :thumbsup sold in the uk online for £13 a tin delivered tipped 1\2 a tin in with fresh premium fueltook it out for a quick 10 mile run and wow  :notworthy :notworthy within 2 miles she revved through still had a flat spot about 3500 rpm which slowly cleared around 8 miles oh im a happy bunny now tigger growls as she should
i :love10 PROFI FUEL MAX and now   :love10 my steamer
dont strip your carbs get some you wont regret it   :XXsunsmile

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy
here is where i got it  performancemotorcare.co.uk  :XXsunsmile :XXsunsmile

Red Lion

Black '96 Steamer : \'04 RM250 : \'10 Arctic Cat Prowler 700XTX

Hossboro

So glad to see you got Kitty up and running properly, was sad to let go but glad someone with passion and time could get her purring again.  :love10
I just didn't have enough knowledge or time to do her justice.
Oh and sorry about the manual, lost your address and your mail I musta wrote down wrong sorry!   :wave

North East England
1997 Tiger Volcanic Red

windscreenman1

hi hoss
went down to my caravan yesterday rode great came home again got 15 miles then blew the head gasket to bits so she left me stranded on the a1 but not to worry i was taking her off the road after this weekend to start rip down and rebuild over winter.Did you get your cruiser?by the way i only found the water in the fuel by accident im not normally that lucky
anyway now is the time to start spending on her new gasket set new disc on rear new pads new seals for all callipers new rear tyre (cracked)oh yes and a rebuild on rear shock as its kerput to so by the time im finished she will be at market value anyway but im still a happy bunny as i like the bike and as i said to you when i bought her i would be using her so hi ho ill be in the the garage over winter so she will be back at full strength for spring
dont worry about the manual i got a haynes one
thanks again
mark

Frosties

Quote from: windscreenman1 on August 27, 2012, 09:26:52 PM
hi all
97 steamer coughed spluttererd and farted up to 2500 rpm (dreaded pilot jets) :sign13 :sign13
looked on the net :XXcomputer for an alternative to stripping as they can be a pig to do :pottytrain2 and found an ad
for PROFI FUEL MAX :thumbsup sold in the uk online for £13 a tin delivered tipped 1\2 a tin in with fresh premium fueltook it out for a quick 10 mile run and wow  :notworthy :notworthy within 2 miles she revved through still had a flat spot about 3500 rpm which slowly cleared around 8 miles oh im a happy bunny now tigger growls as she should
i :love10 PROFI FUEL MAX and now   :love10 my steamer
dont strip your carbs get some you wont regret it   :XXsunsmile

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy
here is where i got it  performancemotorcare.co.uk  :XXsunsmile :XXsunsmile

Just bought some PROFI FUEL MAX online so hope to get a few flat spots sorted. Thanks for the heads up, its got cracking reviews!

windscreenman1

Frosties let me know what you think of it mate it worked for me within 10 miles  :sleepy1

metalguru

Quote from: Red Lion on August 28, 2012, 07:59:57 PM
I did a quick summary for Profi Fuel Max here.

Should read this first before spending loads of money on a fancy coloured tin and just add some Parafin or Avgas.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

BruKen

OK, I'm going to put my neck on the block here.

It is my belief and experience that lot of problems associated with carbs are misguided user fettling. Such as emptying the carbs before putting the bike away for winter. Best time to empty carbs is just before summer riding. Carbs are designed to stay wet. When you dry them out that is when all the O-rings and gaskets perish and corrosion sets in. If they are wet, water in the fuel will not cause oxidation, crystalization, etc anywhere near the same extent as the corrosion caused by humidity and condensation in "dry carbs".
Americans with their high ethanol content in their fuel may differ, but I usually will park the bike up with the petcock closed and open it for a few minutes once a month to keep the bowls brimmed and run the engine until well warmed. Never had a problem...
This goes for all petrol engines from lawnmower to RC planes to bikes. In fact the only time I've ever had major problems with carbs is when I've stuck my oar in.

Bixxer Bob

Every year, so far, I've done NOTHING to my 350cc Yam, Blackbird or Tiger over years of winter months and never had a problem; however, my daughter's Honda lawnmower doesn't like neglect.  By nothing I mean zilch,  washed, parked up and left on the Optimate.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

BruKen

The smaller Walbro or Tillotson carbs suffer from fuel draw when dry. Try pressurising the tank or manually choking it with your thumb as the motor is turned to draw in fuel.

Bixxer Bob

I'll keep that in mind Ken.  Last spring it was some scale in the carb which caused it to run rough.  Not crap from the garden I hasten to add.

I should also add that although I've never had a problem laying up my bikes, I've cleaned the carbs on one Steamer and one 600 Bandit in the last few months.  Neither owner had the wherewithall to "tinker" and in both cases it was blocked pilot jets after a lay-up that caused the problem.

Mustang

It's always at least 1 blocked pilot on a steamer after the winter lay off
of my four beasts , with good ol american 10% ethanol the pilots will clog after just a few weeks of non use
doesn't matter if you store em wet or dry
although I do leave em with fuel and the petcocks "on"
you should see the nasty brown stuff that is in the float bowls from the ethanol fuel .

As you know I swear by "Sea Foam" and haven't had a carb apart in quite some time .
sea foam gets added the day before I want to start one up . fresh battery and 10 to 20 miles later all is well .

Frosties

Quote from: windscreenman1 on January 15, 2013, 07:48:25 PM
Frosties let me know what you think of it mate it worked for me within 10 miles  :sleepy1

Done the job for me fella  :thumbsup After a 100 mile round trip to work the difference is amazing. Smoother, quieter with much faster pickup and nigh on eliminating a bar steward flat spot i had between 2 & 3k rpm on full throttle. Still got a slight hesitancy there but 80% improved in my opinion. Other flat spots gone. Good stuff and cheers for the heads up. :notworthy

windscreenman1