News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

My summer road trip on the world's ugliest Steamer

Started by Me_Rock, December 04, 2012, 09:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Me_Rock

I posted this ride report on ADVrider a while back, but I thought I might post it here.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827644

birddogone

Great pictures! A long time ago when I was your age I did a similar trip of the northeast on a Honda 400 Hawk..........A real long time ago. :hat10
Keep on ride'n,
Rod
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

"If it doesn't run on fossil fuel or gun powder I'm not interested"

HockleyBoy

05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Sin_Tiger

Sorry but you just can't make a Steamer ugly and I acknowledge you did try your best  :thumbsup

Wary to go young man, your doing what many of us wished we had done when we had balls but no money like you.

Park City, Snowbird, Deer Valley etc. brings back happy memories of back bowl skiing when I still had knees, Wasatch Ale, we drink our share and sell the rest :notworthy
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rf9rider

TripleTragic

Haha! Nice.  Yep, you "get it".

Now you have done 700mi, next is 1000...
Good things come in Threes

Advwannabe

Fantastic report mate, this is what it's all about!
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Geoff W

Excellent report on a good trip. Just out of curiosity, what are the ammo' boxes?
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Mustang

Quote from: Geoff W on January 17, 2013, 12:53:29 AM
Excellent report on a good trip. Just out of curiosity, what are the ammo' boxes?
those are 40mm nato cans

like these

Bixxer Bob

Although making good side boxes, robust and waterproof (and cheap), I thought they were generally too heavy?

I guess the subframe would need beefing up a bit...  then they'd also act as damage limitation in a tip-over.  Or guarantee a bent subframe.

You see???  You ask one question and suddenly you're arguing with yourself.   Who needs women? 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

they are very heavy , they m )ake the front wheel feel very light . they only lived on tigger 2 for 1 trip
they are only 7 inches wide , can't carry as much as you think . I like my givi's better

the good
they are waterproof , you can toss your bike down the interstate at speed and get very minimal damage (don't ask )

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Me_Rock

I can confirm that the 40mm boxes make the front wheel lighter. They were the best option for me because of how inexpensive they are.

I took a spill with the ammo boxes mounted while riding on a gravel road in Idaho. I didn't notice it at the time, but half of the subframe broke off right where the previous owner had welded it (poorly) at some point. Thankfully the luggage rack held the rear of the bike together for another 2,000 miles until I finally noticed the damage. I had it welded back together at a muffler shop for $15.

This bike is a constant project...

Bixxer Bob