News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Flip chain side?

Started by coachgeo, January 01, 2013, 11:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coachgeo

crazy quesiton

on a steamer..... assuming custom engine application (yep, FINALLY back at my diesel Tiger project. Its been a while and much heart ache but I'm stubborn and never give up.),

what would be involved to flip the tire and put chain on opposit side?

This would solve a problem Im having with this custom engine install AND keep the bike 8" or more narrower than otherwise. Also and more importantly less damagable if layed on its side.  Engine is CCW and flywheel will be on left.

To do this could you just flip the whole rear swing arm set up or is there room to just flip the wheel (and brake caliper?) leaving swing arm as is?  Dont mind if this lowers bike some got to do this for my leg length anyway.

COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Mustang

you can't flip the swingarm.

you will need to drill and tap for chain rub strip and more importantly you will need to fabricate some sort of torque stay for the rear caliper (assuming it will even be feasible to move caliper to the left side )
and then you will have to deal with the routing of a brake line from the master cyl also
and I think the master cyl is going to be in the way to run a chain drive down the right side

won't be simple............. won't  be easy ,good luck

coachgeo

Quote from: Mustang on January 02, 2013, 12:44:17 AM
you can't flip the swingarm.
Drat.. would have made it easy.

Quote....and I think the master cyl is going to be in the way to run a chain drive down the right side

Master cyclinder?  Got a pic?  Is that attached to frame or engine?  Rear wheel brake Master? My Tiger's are still in TX with Curtis who is doing the fabrication.  I'm in OH where I finally found work.

Mucho Thanks for responce.

rf9rider

I presume if your wanting to change the side where the chain is, gearchange would want to be that side too?

That would mean swapping gear change pedal and rear brake pedal to opposite sides, so you`d have to move the rear master cylinder anyhow, unless you used some sort of thumb operated rear brake as used on some race bikes?

The rear brake torque arm would only need another lug welded on.

Keep us updated.

coachgeo

Quote from: rf9rider on January 02, 2013, 10:19:26 PM
I presume if your wanting to change the side where the chain is, gearchange would want to be that side too?

That would mean swapping gear change pedal ...
Nope... no gear shifter.  Auto Tranny (CVT)
Quoteand rear brake pedal to opposite sides, so you`d have to move the rear master cylinder anyhow,...  the rear brake torque arm would only need another lug welded on...
May not have to flip chain side as thought but till we got it all mocked up..... not sure. Might need brake moved.... might not.  Thanks for the info.

Sin_Tiger

Haven't looked at more modern CVT cars but I thought they still had a drive selector? Do they have a reverse selection :sign13 a backwards Steamer, how cool would that be.  Or a suicide shift  :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

coachgeo

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on January 04, 2013, 02:27:35 AM
Haven't looked at more modern CVT cars but I thought they still had a drive selector? Do they have a reverse selection :sign13 a backwards Steamer, how cool would that be.  Or a suicide shift  :thumbsup
Sorry I should have explained better.  NOT a CVT setup from a car (unless you know anything about Micro Cars in europe).  More like what you find on a snowmoble or ATV.  Granted a car does have the same variable drive system inside the tranny box.... they just have more gizmo's (planitary's, torque converter still and other tweaks like reverse system..

Look up "Track 800" Diesel.  That production diesel bike is similar to what Im doing but not CVT to shaft drive but instead CVT to chain drive.  CVT to chain drive is the most common way a CVT is incorporated into a bike conversion... though I may go CVT shaft drive route if what my present plan does not work out like I want.

coachgeo

Bump for move to diesel thread