News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New MRA screen.

Started by blacktiger, January 29, 2013, 03:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacktiger

So today I fitted an MRA screen which was designed to fit an Explorer. http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Triumph_Tiger_Explorer_1200_2012_Onwards_MRA_Adjustable_Motorcycle_Touring_Screens.html#aCOL58227

I do have an advantage in that I already have the Palmer adjustable brackets. So all I had to do was line it up and drill some holes to match.
Layed back in the lowest setting....

Front of screen lowest but the rear raised up....

I do reckon that it could be mounted without the Palmer stuff by using the OE Triumph mounts at the front of the screen and the MRA fittings from their 800 screen http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/info-COL57407.html at the sides and drilling holes to suit.

I went with this screen for two main reasons :-
a) it's designed to fit around the headlamps and, therefore, looks better than any other screen I've seen.
b) it's wider than other screens I've seen.
Haven't had a chance to try it yet because the weather's pissing down.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

NKL

Looks good, hope it works, it might stop pissing down by july.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

blacktiger

Managed to get out for a couple of hours today. I think this screen looks good on the bike. In proportion.

I left the Palmer adjusters in its lowest possible setting at the front since this is the position that's best with the Palmer screen but raised the rear through its three angle positions. I also tried the spoiler flat to the screen and raised up. Today we had a blustery 20~30mph South Westerly.
I ran it up to 80mph on the clock into that wind. This screen rocks!   :046: It didn't seem to matter where it's set, it gives a smooth wind flow. Raising it just gives more coverage. There was just a hint of buffeting with both the screen and the spoiler raised to max but even that wasn't that bad. I like it a lot.

From head on.

From the saddle.

iansoady

Like the air horn. I had one fitted to a Commando many years ago but it took a second or so for the compressor to spin up, meaning whatever I was using it for had already happened!
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

blacktiger

Quote from: iansoady on January 31, 2013, 01:20:43 PM
Like the air horn. I had one fitted to a Commando many years ago but it took a second or so for the compressor to spin up, meaning whatever I was using it for had already happened!

Haha. Maybe your tubes weren't a good fit. No, this one is pretty much instantaneous. The other horn is under the beak.

VERY LOUD TWIN TONE.
I SAID................

Bixxer Bob

When I first fitted the Stebel, I forgot to tell the MOT technician.... :ImaPoser :ImaPoser
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

NeilD

interesting that you mention the width (oo-er!) as that was what i thought was as much (or more) of the problem as the height on  the standard and taller screens I tried...

blacktiger

Quote from: NeilD on January 31, 2013, 08:59:42 PM
interesting that you mention the width (oo-er!) as that was what i thought was as much (or more) of the problem as the height on  the standard and taller screens I tried...

Indeed Neil. There's always wind getting around the sides. In the "front on" photo, you may notice my additional deflectors just behind the indicators. These are great at stopping that wind smashing into the beer gut. With all that I've done on this bike, handlebars, deflectors and now screen, I can sit in total comfort at all speeds all day. I think my bike is finished. :thumbsup

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

blacktiger

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 01, 2013, 12:55:18 AM
Quote from: blacktiger on January 31, 2013, 09:55:54 PM
I think my bike is finished. :thumbsup

Nnnnnnnoooooooooooo  :hat10

Well, maybe a rear shock, get the forks sorted, exhaust can.................................................................................. :headbang

Sin_Tiger

:thumbsup  :notworthy

Bob, forgot! Aye right  :pottytrain2
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint