News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Subaru radiator cap works....

Started by Bluto, March 05, 2013, 06:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluto

Needed a new cap for my Tiger and found some old threads that recommended alternatives (my local dealer did not stock on OEM one of course) and learned that two of those no longer work, the Napa item is discontinued and the Stant has been changed and no longer fits right....however a Subaru cap does work and was in stock and $10 at my local dealer...pn is 45137AE00B and the Subaru cap is the silver one in the photos

mat-tiger1

Hi Bluto, interesting stuff, just wondering what was the year of your Girly?
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

Bluto

Mine is a 2006 and had a minor leak, would find a few drops under it after parking it overnight following a long ride...did a Google search and learned (from here and other Triumph sites) that the problem is often the radiator cap.

blacktiger

Be VERY careful here. I went through all this a few years ago and whilst most of the Japanese car caps will fit just fine, they have an opening pressure of 0.9 Bar. Our Tigers need an opening pressure of 1.1 Bar.
I ended up buying one from Triumph to make sure I didn't waste any more time hunting around the internet. It was just £13 so IMO it's really not worth pissing about getting anything else.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bluto

Quote from: blacktiger on March 14, 2013, 09:20:50 AM
Be VERY careful here. I went through all this a few years ago and whilst most of the Japanese car caps will fit just fine, they have an opening pressure of 0.9 Bar. Our Tigers need an opening pressure of 1.1 Bar.
I ended up buying one from Triumph to make sure I didn't waste any more time hunting around the internet. It was just £13 so IMO it's really not worth pissing about getting anything else.

The Subaru cap shown IS the correct pressure rating as can be seen by VERY careful examination of the photo above (108 kpa = 1.08 Bar, a 2% difference )   My Triumph dealer did not carry a stock cap AND they have a reputation for failing anyway so an alternative was worth finding locally from a Subaru dealer that bothers to stock standard maintenance parts

blacktiger

Quote from: Bluto on March 15, 2013, 06:51:14 PM
Quote from: blacktiger on March 14, 2013, 09:20:50 AM

The Subaru cap shown IS the correct pressure rating as can be seen by VERY careful examination of the photo above (108 kpa = 1.08 Bar, a 2% difference )   My Triumph dealer did not carry a stock cap AND they have a reputation for failing anyway so an alternative was worth finding locally from a Subaru dealer that bothers to stock standard maintenance parts

Good stuff. I didn't know the conversion....until now. Well found. :thumbsup
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.