News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clutch cable modification

Started by Marc, March 27, 2013, 06:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Suffering too long from my "tennis elbow", and having too much pain pulling the clutch of my Tiger, I desided to do this mod.  The 2 mods have been mentioned somewhere on this forum some time ago I think.

1. gently straighten the bend of the cable on the bottom.

2. put an extention on the lifter arm of approx. 3cm.  Because I have no proper machinery to make it myself, I bought it from BMG (special home made for all  Triumphs, rather expensive ... 56€ excl. PP  :doubt )

http://www.brabantmotors.nl/Accessoires/Tiger%20900i%20&%20955i.htm

3. Verry important!! adjust the cable holder (on the clutch cover) so that the cable is in line when pulling the clutch, without scraping on the outer cable.
    Check during the whole movement!

Result:  :XXsunsmile :XXsunsmile  a huge difference  :thumbsup

Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

chappers

blacktiger

Didn't know anyone made something like that. Thanks. Now I've just got to figure out how to order it. :XXcomputer Their site seems unresponsive and my Dutch is, well, you know? Any ideas?
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

blacktiger

Marc,
I recommend some Motorex645 protect & Shine for your engine cases. It'll make them nice and shiny again.

Dutch

Just sent BMG (Brabant Motors Grave, nearby my home town) an e-mail in English.

Wouldn't surprise me if you can find it elsewhere as well, I have seen several gadgets on mentioned page that they labeled "BMG" while I know they come from another aftermarket manufacturer. Just like the private labels in supermarkets.

blacktiger

Quote from: Dutch on March 30, 2013, 04:57:17 PM
Just sent BMG (Brabant Motors Grave, nearby my home town) an e-mail in English.

Wouldn't surprise me if you can find it elsewhere as well, I have seen several gadgets on mentioned page that they labeled "BMG" while I know they come from another aftermarket manufacturer. Just like the private labels in supermarkets.

Thanks. I found an email address on their site and sent a request. Already got a reply so they're on the ball. I will hunt 't'internet to see if I can find it cheaper elsewhere.
Cheers H.

Marc

Quote from: blacktiger on March 30, 2013, 04:09:04 PM
Marc,
I recommend some Motorex645 protect & Shine for your engine cases. It'll make them nice and shiny again.

Yeh!  :iagree  I looked for a suitable product some time ago but no succes.  I'll try to find the Motorex645 over here.

Oh... and let us know what you did of didn't find  :thumbsup
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

klingklang

while lookin for longer cable to do this mod, I found that product that look interesting so I ordred one. I will make a follow up here when I'll get it.  not very expensive.

Moose Racing Easy-Pull Clutch System
Constructed of high-strength forged aluminum
Inner linkage increases leverage ratio and eases clutch pull

there is a review and pic here

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/2487490-post28.html

Chris Canning

Magura also do an hydraulic version.

klingklang

yes but this one is only 42$.....  we'll see

cosmo

I'd be afraid of insufficient clutch lift, leading to drag, leading to overheating, then to early clutch replacement.

Otherwise, I'd weld up the damn lever myself.

However -

Shameless plug: I'll weld on 3cm (or however long you want it) to your lever for $15 (£35), return post included. Genuine TIG weldment by a college-educated welder with 20 years experience. Painted and finished, too (black). £56!! How do they sleep at night?!?!? (That's 87 US Dollars!!)

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Marc

Marc,

didn't find Motorex645, but S100 Engine Brightener.  Thanks :thumbsup

previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

blacktiger

Quote from: Marc on April 19, 2013, 04:09:17 PM
Marc,

didn't find Motorex645, but S100 Engine Brightener.  Thanks :thumbsup

:thumbsup

Chris Canning

trophydave

Thats what I have done with my clutch.Extended arm and re routed and straightened cable.I have only ridden it a short distance since doing this but the clutch is much lighter.