News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hodgepodge Ride - VA, TN, NC - A little bit of this, A little bit of that

Started by Yukon, May 06, 2013, 02:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yukon

I was able to get a little time away from work so I decided to head south to the Virginia, Tennessee and North Carolina area to get a little mountain riding in

Packed and Ready to go

Northbound view from Route 16 at the summit above Hungry Mother State Park in Virginia

Southbound view

Backbone Rock on Route 133 between Damascus, VA and Shady Valley, TN

I have never been to the Tail of the Dragon and I have heard positives and many negatives cornering this area, but I had to experience it for myself.  I decided to arrive on a Thursday to avoid the congestion of the weekends.  Over all it was I enjoyed riding the area with the exception of a few Motard riders passing on the blind curves.

View from the Foothills Parkway just north of Highway 129 near the Tail of the Dragon

Mini Rally at the Dragon

Calderwood Dam Overlook on the Tail of the Dragon

The Blue Ridge Parkway as closed at Mount Mitchell due to construction.  Closest place to get on was at Route 80 approximately 15 miles north of the summit.  It was very cold and foggy at this elevation.  The fog cleared when I got to the Linville Falls Area.

View of the backside of Grandfather Mountain from the Parkway

The white at the top of the photo is fog.  Behind the fog is a large rock face.  In the short time that is took me to get my camera out, the fog rolled over the crest of the rock face and was working its way down the mountain

Finish up at the "Snake" on route 421 between Mountain City, TN and Shady Valley, TN.  Photo was taken about 10:00 in the morning at is was about 40 F degrees out.  The only other traffic I encountered were two fellow dualsporters from the Lenior, NC area

Slabbing it back to Pennsylvania I stopped to get a shot from the overlook on route 19 between Summersville, WV and Sutton, WV

Roadinator

Great pics (and bike of course!).  Looks like a good ride.  Thanks for sharing.
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i in Lucifer Orange

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting