News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Changing tyres, a how-to, kinda..

Started by cosmo, June 16, 2013, 07:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmo

Changed the front on me Tigger this morn, took me about 45 minutes start to finish. Then it occurred to me over breakies, that some might not know the tricks, at least that I use. So here goes.

The tools: I use a bumper jack from my car (get at breakers, if necessary). Two motorcycle-size tyre irons. Some tyre shine stuff and a bicycle hand pump.

First, loosen the appropriate nuts and bolts. And let the air out of the tire (I remove the valve stem).

On my Tigger, I prop the front end up with a fair substantial stick under the highway pegs. You may need to find a spot under the engine. As far forward as possible is key for stability.

Now, remove the loosened calipers, being careful around the left side (speedo sender is fragile). Then pull out the axle and roll the tyre out the front. Put aside the spacer.

Using two lengths of wood, prop the wheel up so you do not damage the rotors. Get out the bumper jack and put down the wood so that the rim - tyre edge is under the lip of the bumper jack base. Block the opposite wheel, and jack the car up upon the tyre. It will release after a couple two-three pumps. Flip tyre and do the other side. The hard bit is done!! Put the jack and block away and let your wife go to work.

Insert the two tyre irons under the tyre, hooked end to grip tyre, about one foot apart. Press the opposite edge of the tyre down into the well and pry the tyre over the rim. Remove ONE iron, insert it beside the other and prise the tyre a bit more. Keep going and one side is off.

Stand the tyre up, insert one iron to prise the tyre off the rim, hooked end to grip rim. Lever the tire over the rim and yet some more. The rim will, most likely, pop off the tyre at this point. Be ready for it!! Alternatively, you may need to use the other iron to assist.

Lay the rim back upon the two bits of wood, and locate the direction arrows on the tyre. Make double sure that the wheel will be installed in the correct rotation. Now spray or wide the bead area on both sides with the tyre shine stuff. Also, wipe the inside of the side that will need to be levered over the rim (it'll be the UP side when the rim is lying down). 'Walk' the tyre over the rim (literally, with your feet), it should go on fair easy. Using the irons, hook the rim, under the tyre, and prise the tyre over the rim. You may be able to 'walk' this side, or use the irons alternately. Once its 'on', roll it over the the bike, and reinstall. Put the valve back in (if removed), and pump up the tyre. With the tyre shine stuff, it will pop into the bead retainers easily. Adjust pressure, then remove the prop.

Tighten all fasteners (safer with the bike on the ground), and you are done!!

BTW, Bridgestone BattleWings. They have given me better mileage than Michie Tourances.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.