News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel Consumption Through The Roof!

Started by Fe Man, July 31, 2013, 05:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fe Man

Many of you will remember my woes with spark plug bits bouncing around and damaging a valve; well all is repaired and the bike runs great. Mostly.

Upon cold start-up, it idles roughly and most often dies unless I give it some throttle. Once it's warm it seems fine! I was riding in the mountains with my wife on Sunday, gravel roads, mostly slow speed stuff. The tank should have been good for 250+ miles but I ran out of gas a 176.6 miles and this was the second time in a row I had sub 200 mile tanks!

Thoughts?

Mustang

have you tried reloading the FI map...............

same head with new valves , from the spark plug episode ?
you could have bad valve seats on the cylinder with replaced valves .

the rough running and idle is certainly due to being far too rich , I would assume .

Fe Man

Same head, replaced 1 bent valve, valve seat was perfect. I'm thinking the TPS may be causing issues.

Guess I'm going to have to buy the necessary bits to reload FI maps , tuneboy, whatever...

Mustang

Wouldn't hurt to check your clearances on the valve /valves that you replaced ..........might need a readjustment .
could be at zero clearance and causing excess fuel use .
would save you some $$$ if that is the prob . or it could well be that replaced tps is not set correctly , in which case TUNE ECU and the cable to connect to your tigger is what you want to blow in a new map and set the tps.
Lots of info on here and a couple of members are very knowledgeable about it .

Bixxer Bob

Yup, no need to buy Tuneboy,  TuneECU is free but you need to spend about $10 on a cable.  Just look in the stickies, it's all there.

I've had roughness and cutting out at idle for a couple of weeks; got round to re-loading the map and resetting the TPS today and she's fine again.  If you are going back in to check the valve clearance, balance your throttle bodies while you're on.  I keep saying it, but it's the single best  thing you can do for a rough running Girly and nearly the easiest.

And I know your miles are shorter than ours but 176 doesn't seem too bad.  I get 180 - 200 English miles to a tank before the light comes on (except it doesn't, another job on the long list)

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

HockleyBoy

A lot depends on how you ride it as I found out recently, I was getting around 175 to 180 miles between fill ups on my daily commute. Following an incident with the local constabualory I am now having to ride like an old lady and I now easily get 240 miles from full to light on (20 litres of petrol). Every cloud etc  :icon_cry:
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Fe Man

Valve was lapped and adjusted to the loose end of the range; I doubt it has made it to zero in 1000 miles.
The TPS sensor has not been replaced; just suspect.

The bike has always gotten over 200 miles on a tank as I really don't ride it that hard; sometimes over 250 if I'm riding low speed off road. The only reason I ran out of gas is because the fuel sender has gone wonky and now the bike is out of fuel before the light comes on.

Mustang

Quote from: Fe Man on August 01, 2013, 06:25:26 PM
Valve was lapped and adjusted to the loose end of the range; I doubt it has made it to zero in 1000 miles.
have seen that exact scenario and the valves pounded right into the head and went zero clearance in under a 1000 miles ...........just sayin .

Fe Man

I haven't ridden in quite some time due to work on such but I still haven't sorted this out. Still running rich from what I can tell. TPS was replaced though.

I'm outta the zone here!

Fe Man

Gonna check the valve clearance tomorrow and order the TuneECU cable. If I can't sort it out I'm gonna sell the bike!  Cheap!!!

metalguru

Were the Throttle Bodies balanced EXACTLY?
Also if the battery was left connected and went flat during the rebuild, the map will need a refresh and TPS reset. Good to do if an imbalance has taken place.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.