News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

"Alternative to 12 minute tune" update (now called the "Adaptive Tune")

Started by Bixxer Bob, August 27, 2013, 11:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

I've written this because editing some posts from the old forum is not possible.

I found some more on the 12 minute tune alternative tonight.  The information I have been given suggests that the standard 12 minute tune is for pre- O2 sensor bikes and that the alternative that I posted is actually the process for bikes that have an O2 sensor.

Also, it states that the idle trim buttons are also for pre-O2; the O2 sensor versions don't need it as they adapt themselves.  Adaptation can be forced using the alternative to 12 minute tune (from here on in know as "Adaptive tune" as I can't be arsed to keep typing out the full description.  It doesn't say that the trim buttons don't work for the O2 bikes just that they are redundant.  I'll have to dig the gas analyser out and have a play.  Of course, if you're running a map that stops the O2 sensor trimming the settings, you'll need to do it manually.

This stuff doesn't get any easier eh?

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

Somehow I didn't ever actually get round to writing this, so here it is now:

Here's how as taken from the TECU manual:

Bike in neutral Engine temp 80-96 deg C
Min airbox temp 21 deg C
With the clutch lever out ie the clutch engaged, blip the revs to 3000 revs and let it drop back to idle then let it idle for at least 30 seconds still with the clutch out.
Check it's adapted by looking at the lambda reading, it should be toggling + / - 4

IACV steps should be 20-35.

It may take several blips and waits to get this done by the way, not just once.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

hold the bus!!!

There's an investigation in process as to whether the clutch should be pulled or engaged when you do this; TuneECU says one, the Triumph manual says the other.  I contacted Tom Hamburg who is looking into it.  I can't check on mine at the moment because I haven't time to fix my Lambda which isn't working. I'll let you know when we have the answer. :thumbsup

Bixxer Bob

Just a little update;  Tom has come up with a Tech Bulletin from Triumph which appears to back up my version of the manual.  The point of contention is whether the clutch should be pulled or released.  The actual Triumph word is "engaged" which I take to mean the engine is driving the gearbox layshaft, the lever is released, not pulled.  The test to see if your bike is properly "adapted" is to run it up to the conditions given above and check the Lambda fuel reading which should hover at 0%.  It'll fluctuate slightly, but should never read more than +/- 3%.

I'll do another update once Tom comes back with his workshop results; he's just waiting for the right bike to come along.....