News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sprag clutch on 95 Steamer

Started by beefos, September 03, 2013, 10:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beefos

I've seen your link to the seal the spring is taken from.
Is there a post showing the fix to the sprag?
I've not taken the sprag apart so not sure at the moment where the spring is going to go.
Maybe once I've stripped it I will understand...
Thanks

ram33

When you've got it out, there are 6 bolts to remove to open sprag, then you will see the loose/ broken spring. I'm at work atm, I'll have a look tomorrow for some pics
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

ram33

tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

beefos

Thanks that was a really useful link!
I've taken the sprag apart - the 6 bolts were loose! 5 were finger tight and 1 took a bit of a push but not green Loctite strength!
The spring is definitely loose so ordered the seal for pick up Friday and I'll have a go with the spring replacement.
I'll try the soldering idea as you suggested.

ram33

My bolts were quite tight but there was no sign of any loctite on mine either.
The spring should hold itself together as the small end is twisted into the big end but belt and braces may help to save another strip down
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

ram33

I also stretched my spring very slightly as the rollers seemed a bit tight when assembled. Maybe worth getting a spare spring cos I overdid it the first time
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

beefos

The spring from the seal in your post looks too small (R40x62x7). It is 40mm diameter whereas the original is about 60mm but very sloppy so maybe originally was smaller?
I tried it anyway and once together the sprag will not turn at all so maybe the tight spring is locking it up.
I'm guessing I'll need one in the range 50 to 60mm.

ram33

I've still got the seal the spring came from- I'll check the seal size when I get home. Did you remove any rollers? If so did you put them back correctly
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

beefos

3 dropped out when I took the spring off. I just put them back in with the slot in the right position to receive the spring. I suppose they could be upside down compared to original - is that a problem? I haven't checked the profile to see if there is a difference.

ram33

The spring is def from a seal that is 62x40x7
The spring is 1.5mm thick.
The cams should all face the same way
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

beefos

Had a good look at the rollers this morning using an eye glass and sure enough three were facing the opposite direction to all the others! Turned them round, it was much easier to assemble and it works perfectly - turns easy in one direction and locks in the other:)

ram33

Quote from: beefos on June 15, 2014, 11:51:56 AM
Had a good look at the rollers this morning using an eye glass and sure enough three were facing the opposite direction to all the others! Turned them round, it was much easier to assemble and it works perfectly - turns easy in one direction and locks in the other:)
thats all good then. just need to make sure the spring ends are secure
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

beefos

Putting the sprag back together it seems fairly tight to turn once the circlip is back in place.
As it was knackered before I don't know what to expect...
Before I put the circlip on it is reasonably easy to turn (in one direction).
Anyone know if this is ok?

ram33

mine seemed a bit tight, thats why i stretched the spring slightly.
i dont think it would matter to much though as it runs in oil and the spring will stretch itself anyway
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque