News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

UK Reg/Rec Options

Started by Chris Canning, October 09, 2013, 05:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

My Reg/Rec has been on a steady decline,I see as per usual the best options are in the US at half the price,do we pay too much or do they get everything on the cheap  :icon_scratch:,so what are the options in the Uk,although I/we are in San Diego over the new year so that may be an option.

metalguru

The new style MOSFET RRs are the way to go, they do not disperse unwanted watts to heat.

For the RR

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281158008250?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2661

The connectors for these are widely available.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

lukeman

Agreed, Here is an entire kit if you wanted to go that way.  I did this swap a couple months ago on mine.  It will even bolt up to the oem holes with a little persuasion.  The FH020AA is the latest and greatest.  You'll want to bypass the wiring harness and go directly to the battery (Sasquatch mod) if its not already done.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHINDENGEN-MOSFET-FH020AA-REGULATOR-RECTIFIER-KIT-REPLACES-FH012AA-/380704480069?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a3c15b45

Chris Canning

Cheers gents oddly enough had an old Jap Rec/Reg wired up to it this afternoon and there was a vast improvement even with that.

Chris Canning

Used to be undecided but now I'm not so sure  :icon_redface:,but after much huffing and puffing have gone with this only time will tell,but blimey when I asked if it was Chinese  :bug_eye

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/RR99H-Regulator-Rectifier.html#aRR99H

Sin_Tiger

You're getting very Un PC in your old age Chris. First keeping Jap parts in your garage, now discriminating against fine PRC electrical engineering, you'll be turning your nose up at imported curry next  :icon_mrgreen:

I think you're being the Guinea pig on this one, fingers crossed.  Dis this mean second thoughts about the Sport?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

I've always been Un PC ask Timbox,re the guinea pig yep your right couldn't resist because if you look their is another option on the phone they wouldn't say if one was better than the other so we'll see,if the bike never went out of the UK I'd fit any old crap on it the breakdown is only a phone call away Europe's a tad more time consuming doing that,besides which I may well have ordered any old crap  :icon_redface:.

The re the Sport that's the best fall back option,the 1050 revs it's nuts off in comparison to a 955 or feels like it does but it will do if all else fails,at sometime when the old girl gets too old we'll have to make a decision but that time hasn't come yet,after seeing that CB400 might have a little time  :icon_biggrin:

Bixxer Bob

I have had Electrex stator and reg/rec on the Blackbird since 2006, 7yrs and 25k motorway miles later still good. Outlasted the Honda parts in terms of time but not miles......
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

Must admit to always having a couple of Superdream or Goldwing RRs hanging about in the garage, have used them on anything with a AC generator.
Really handy till a field excited Honda comes in for gen probs DOH.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Chris Canning

Biggest hassle was when I phoned up,you know what it's like when you phone the bank or BT or!! and you get a certain kind of individual on the phone well f me I got the same at Electrex and at one stage she was saying 'Are you going to answer the question' and I couldn't make top nor tail of what she was saying  :icon_lol:,trying to ask what the difference was between the two they make would have been way too much effort :icon_rolleyes:

Sin_Tiger

All the Vara's and AT's that I've come across have had issues after 60k / 5 years.  Mostly due to wiring and connector problems overloading the generator circuits.

Unfortunately I suspect many employers are not aware of these instances, too busy trying to make a living.  I had surprisingly pleasant and helpful young lady from Sky talk me through an issue. Competent pleasant and effective, I was so taken aback I forgot to ask her name so that she got the recognition she deserved.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Judging by them making so much of the heatsink blah I'm wondering if it's MOSFET......
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on October 10, 2013, 07:26:24 PM

Unfortunately I suspect many employers are not aware of these instances, too busy trying to make a living.  I had surprisingly pleasant and helpful young lady from Sky talk me through an issue. Competent pleasant and effective, I was so taken aback I forgot to ask her name so that she got the recognition she deserved.

You've got Sky on your Tiger? :bug_eye

Sin_Tiger

I downloaded the comedy Chanel into the ECU, a giggle every ride :hat10

Chris Canning

My spare Reg/Rec that I bought a while back came off an low mileage 06 or 07 tried it yesterday and it was a nats under 13v,but rather than put it on thought I'd try something different,from the little I could understand on the phone the other version they sell has a pink/purple!! wire that's goes to the battery and when it's fully charged cuts the Reg/Rec out or that's what I thought she said!!