News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Canyon Breaks Jaunt

Started by Patrick the Scot, March 13, 2005, 04:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick the Scot

Yeeeeee-haw!

I paid the yard service to do the yard so I could go out riding. As I previously indicated I was going to do an overnight to Albuquerque or to Austin, but as per usual, "so many social engagemnets so little time" - Raising Arizona.  Instead I hooked up with the local BMW riding club for a morning run.  We left Lubbock in a chilly breeze (42 F) and headed 45 miles southeast, off the Caprock (a.k.a. the Ogalalla Platue or the Llano Estacado) to Post, Texas where we had some decent homestyle cooking for breakfast at a Tex-Mex cafe.  After that we headed out east on a 200 mile loop through the canyon breaks below (in elevation) the Caprock.  

As for the ride, let me say that it was challenging.  I had never ridden with a big group before, and I had definitely not ridden with a bunch of riders who collectively lit it up on their big touring sleds.  I mean these guys can really ride.  It was nothing to take a big 90 degree, 1/4 mile sweeper at 100 mph for these guys. They were actually dragging hard parts on their K1200LT's.  I was riding in third position in a staggered formation and was having trouble in the corners because I was watching the rider in front of me.  Wrong thing to do.  I was over running in the corners and figured that I was committing "target fixation."  I forced myself to concentrate on the line that I wanted, in relation to the over-all corner. Once I did this I was able to keep up.

The Tiger hung with the sport touring bikes all day. I think that at this point my Tiger's performance is limited by the rider!  I did enjoy riding in formation at such speeds, but I don't know if I will go with them next week.  I like a more relaxed pace, and I like to stop and check out old buildings and rock formations and generally just enjoy the trip.  These BMW guys seemed like they were on a mission to burn as much petrol as possible in the shortest amount of time.  

The wind was up, a 30 mph stiffy coming right out of the west, and I could have done without it.  But the temperature cracked 80 F, and there was not a cloud in the sky.  All in all a good day for the first real ride of the year.

Bikes represented in the group were: three R1150RT's, two K1200LT's, two ST1300's, one K12, K1200RS, FJR1300 and a Triumph Tiger.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Mr Mistoffelees

Sounds like a great start to this years riding  8)

Nice Pics
There\'s no such Cat in the metropolis;

He holds all the patent monopolies

For performing suprising illusions

And creating eccentric confusions

Mudhen

Thanks for the report and pics, Patrick!

I've found the same thing on street rides with my local BMW dealer...too fast for my blood.  The dirt rides are awesome, though...hopefully my little Steamer will show those pigs a thing or two this year...
\'96 Steamer