News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

SW-Motech Centre Stand

Started by nickjtc, February 27, 2014, 07:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

The stand I ordered at Christmas finally arrived today. I suspect the demand is not very great for the Steamer application. I decided to fit it this evening since it is still cold out and there is nothing else to do. Anyway, a few notes FYI.

The instructions are basic, to say the least. It is not too difficult to work out how it fits, but it would be nice to have a step-by-step procedure. Oh well.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

nickjtc

The stand is very nicely made and comes with everything you need. However, there isn't much space on the bike to get it on. For reasons to follow the exhaust had to come off to be able to fit the spring attachment thingy to the bottom of the crankcase. Incidentally I would be curious to know if the suspension links are OEM.

nickjtc

You cannot get at the rear crankcase bolt to hold the spring thingy on with the exhaust in place because the cross tube is directly below it. And of course the cross tube cannot be removed unless the tail pipes are removed! That clip which holds the end of the vent tubes is in the way too, and the tubes have to be shortened.

nickjtc

Doing an initial fitment of the inner return spring I used the 'washers in the coils' trick Not quite sure what I am going to do when it is time to fit the second spring....

EDIT: Turns out that judicious use of bfai was all that it took to hook both springs on.

nickjtc

Here it is all done prior to putting the exhaust back on. Note that when the cross tubes in the exhaust are re-installed they have to be pushed as far forward as possible on the headers otherwise there is no clearance when the bike is up on the stand and it will not rock back against the stand stops. You don't want the bike rolling off the stand, do you? All in all it took about three hours, solo. I had the missis come and help when it was time to insert the mounting bolt through all of the bits and pieces because it was hard to hold everything in alignment and push the bolt at the same time.

Now it remains to be seen how well the set up will work.

HeavyHustler

I feel your pain Nick.  I searched and found Bobs old install thread so that helped.  However, I did remount the stand 3x before I got it all right!  LOL!  Kept forgetting one thing or another.  Wait until you have to put the H shaped mid-pipe back on....heh heh.
I find the stand doesn't lean back quite as much as I'd like.  Oh yeah, mine seems to have on leg shorter than the other...... :icon_rolleyes:

nickjtc

Quote from: HeavyHustler on February 27, 2014, 07:33:34 PM
Wait until you have to put the H shaped mid-pipe back on....heh heh.

Actually, it went on easier than I expected, with a lot of wiggling and profanity. Of course, when it was in place I realised I had put the clamp strap on backwards so that the tightening bolt is exposed to road mung and crud. Oh well.  :icon_rolleyes:

I agree with you about the fact that the bike does not settle backwards as far as might be prudent. I'm think that I will carry a bit of velcro tape to wrap around the right grip and front brake lever when I am parked to act like a park brake. We'll see how it works out on the road.

Above all, whatever niggles I might have, the ability to do basic wheel/chain maintenance will be a treat.

I think.  :augie

97tiger885

I put mine on about 5 years ago.  Most of the trauma has healed.

I havent had any issues due to the angle of the centerstand and I use the stand regularly, not just for maintenance.

nickjtc

Quote from: 97tiger885 on February 28, 2014, 01:07:38 AMI havent had any issues due to the angle of the centerstand and I use the stand regularly, not just for maintenance.

That's good to know. It is a quality looking piece of kit so I have high hopes....

Beernard

Dear Heavyhustler. How the hell did you get the stinkin H-piece off? I came up with my own method, but I would love to know a trick!!!!
Ripper, woke up again.

nickjtc

Nick Calne

I did not enjoy the install of this on my bike. So well done you for getting it done.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?