News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Weird overheating issue, intermittent

Started by tntmo, March 31, 2014, 06:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin_Tiger

That is old corrosion mate, been sitting unused I guess. New corrosion errosion would be quite bright. Send it back as "not as described" and get your money back.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

tntmo

No, the lip under the radiator cap looked brand new when I installed it on Friday.  The oil appears to be fine.  There was some blackish crap in the coolant, but I imagine it's from the plastic that is deteriorating from the thermostat housing. 

I flushed the entire system.  I guess I'll order another thermostat housing and get a thermostat.  What else can I do?  Radiator? 

pineygroveshop

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 31, 2014, 10:00:03 AM
Although I don't know whether the conditions for a random boil up were the same as conditions where the fan is needed, I'd check the fan is working first.  After that change the thermostat.  And find out how your rad was "fixed".  Was it fixed because of stone damage or was it rotten?  It could be it's partially blocked, but do the easy stuff first.

I would start with replacing the radiator.
Cheers,
Stephen

Chris Canning

If the engine oil is good I'd try running the bike without the stat in having been to your neck of woods recently you won't need one anyway and regardless I'd have put a new stat in anyway,if it's still the same without the stat or with a new one in it has too be the rad.

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

tntmo

Fortunately I've found that the thermostat housing is common among a few Triumph models so I can find a few of them on the used market.  I'll test the thermostat I have just for kicks, but will get a new one.

The radiator will be expensive, only a couple around in the used market and a new one is $500+.  If I knew for sure it solves my overheating it would be no problem! 

Sin_Tiger

:iagree a also, give it a run without the stat, eliminate one thing at a time.  The black stuff is aluminium oxide.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

tntmo

Quote from: Chris Canning on April 13, 2014, 10:34:11 PM
Is the engine oil clear?

Engine oil is clear

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 31, 2014, 10:00:03 AM
After that change the thermostat.  And find out how your rad was "fixed".  Was it fixed because of stone damage or was it rotten?  It could be it's partially blocked, but do the easy stuff first.

The radiator developed a leak.  The repair shop said it was difficult to repair because it was getting thin/old....which leads me to believe it could be rotten.  I have run water through it from the garage tap.  I can feel the opposite side getting hot or cold depending on the water temp I run through it.

I tested both of the used thermostats I have on the kitchen stove tonight.  Both extended at about 190 degrees water. 

Last thing:  Am I ok running regular green coolant in this bike, or do I need some fancy Euro-spec stuff?  Hopefully this isn't the reason all of this is happening.....

Sin_Tiger

Providing it has the alloy corrosion inhibitors you'll be fine, just about anything off the shelf will do.

Chris Canning

Everything is pointing to the rad,I see there's a couple on ebay and they are in the States and look very clean.

tntmo

Quote from: Chris Canning on April 15, 2014, 09:41:06 AM
Everything is pointing to the rad,I see there's a couple on ebay and they are in the States and look very clean.

I did some reading on clogged radiators online.  It seems that an indicator that you may have a clogged radiator is that it overheats at speed, but not at idle....which is how this bike is acting.  This most recent event, when it got hot I tried to drive it home and it got worse on the highway, and cooled off driving around on city street. 

Looks like I'll spend the money on a radiator.   

tntmo

NortonCharlie

Read that link, wasn't the cause a plugged radiator, 2nd to last or so comment.  Fixed it with a couple cans of Coke.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

tntmo

Quote from: NortonCharlie on April 16, 2014, 07:54:30 PM
Read that link, wasn't the cause a plugged radiator, 2nd to last or so comment.  Fixed it with a couple cans of Coke.

No, said a few days later his bike blew coolant out the exhaust. 

NortonCharlie

I see now,  Any chance you could borrow a coolant system pump?  I've got one but need to get adapters for the smaller neck.  Great trouble shooting tool.  A head gasket usually make s the pressure jump ail over the place.  Or just pumping up the system without it running is a great way to check for leeks.

Good luck
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando