News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Gearbox very clunky/miss shifting/ sloppy / grinding when fully warmed up

Started by Andyrew, March 31, 2014, 07:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andyrew

Sat on the bike as is and it has ~ 1/2" of play, I loosened up the chain some so its 2" when on the center stand and about 1" when I sit on it. We'll see if it makes any difference but Im thinking that I'll still have my gear problem. If it doesnt rain tomorrow I'll take it to work and see.

Thanks guys!

Andyrew

Adjusted the chain and finally went for a ride over 5mins. Same thing happened. At first the box was super smooth. But about 10 minutes into the ride it started missing gears. I played with my shifting to no avail, even trying clutchless but it missed the 5-6 and went into a fast neutral and grinder going into 6th (with clutch).
What I have noticed is the box starts sounding like a hammer hits it when shifting and there's a ton of slop felt in it like there's all of a sudden a couple of millimeters of play in the mainshaft, this can also be felt through the bike.

Can someone explain why they think its clutch related? Im not understanding this..

Thanks guys!

Bixxer Bob

A dragging clutch will cause the symptoms you described earlier, but not those you posted above.  You seem to have a gearbox problem but I can't help because I've never had one.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Quote from: Andyrew on April 03, 2014, 03:34:16 PM
Adjusted the chain and finally went for a ride over 5mins. Same thing happened. At first the box was super smooth. But about 10 minutes into the ride it started missing gears. I played with my shifting to no avail, even trying clutchless but it missed the 5-6 and went into a fast neutral and grinder going into 6th (with clutch).
What I have noticed is the box starts sounding like a hammer hits it when shifting and there's a ton of slop felt in it like there's all of a sudden a couple of millimeters of play in the mainshaft, this can also be felt through the bike.

Can someone explain why they think its clutch related? Im not understanding this..

Thanks guys!
is this your 1st modern triumph ?
if so why not get some one who knows triumphs to take your bike for a test ride ................. they'll know if it's normal or bad

Andyrew

Thanks,

Im taking it to the dealer tomorrow and letting them look at it and give me an estimate for repair.

Andyrew

Just for the fun of it I looked around for used parts to see if I can find anything and I saw these two auctions. Anyone have any thoughts? I certainly dont mind having spares and Im curious if you guys think grabbing used parts would be OK for this case. I was thinking of grabbing the trani parts as I know if I ever have to replace a gear that certainly covers me.

First is the 98 triumph tiger 955i, Do these parts cross with the 2002?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-TRIUMPH-955I-955-I-TRANSMISSION-TRANNY-GEARS-TIGER-900-/350588554133?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a0b4cb95&vxp=mtr

Next is the shift forks and rod from a low mile bike.. I really want to grab this. But maybe its best just to grab the whole inner bits above?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIUMPH-955I-TIGER-SHIFT-SHIFTER-FORKS-FREE-SHIPPING-/120400412028?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c086c7d7c&vxp=mtr

Thanks guys..

Mustang

1.   there is no such thing as a 1998 955I engine  :bug_eye
2. I think I would find out what is or isn't wrong first .
3. if I myself had transmission troubles and definitely needed shifting forks I would buy new

Andyrew

Quote from: Mustang on April 03, 2014, 10:04:59 PM
1.   there is no such thing as a 1998 955I engine  :bug_eye
2. I think I would find out what is or isn't wrong first .
3. if I myself had transmission troubles and definitely needed shifting forks I would buy new

Thats all what Im thinking as well.

I talked to a local buddy with some triumphs and he said Im welcome to all his 955i parts but he has sprinters and daytonas.. He knows them well though so were going to look at it tomorrow, then I'll take it to the dealer.

Still pissed off that the seller didnt disclose the issue and is saying that he's never had any problems with the trani...

Andyrew

Rode home, Didnt get any grinds shifting up but I was babying it as much as I could.

I did feel it kept skipping/trying to skip gears when shifting down in the lower gears and I realized I had not mentioned it on here yet.

Andyrew

Follow up. Had a friend used to triumphs ride it. Below was his suggestions.

"Yep I did not think there was anything wrong with the bike besides shifter, and brake pedal needing an adjustment to fit you. Maybe replace the that couch with a stock seat for all riding other than long roadtrips lol. The lube the clutch cable and see if the lever pull get's slightly lighter.

Check battery and wiring to starter, check what map is on the ECU now. Change oil and other fluids. Change the tires to something from this decade lol. That's it I think. It's a sweet machine and well setup. Love the exhaust note and the smooth linear pull of the triple from 1500 rpm to redline."

Basically determined that It was my shifting style that was causing the issues. I changed the oil in it, and rode it around a bit and had not had any issues since. We'll see what happens when I go on a long ride, but heres hoping!

Mustang

Quote from: Andyrew on April 07, 2014, 05:56:48 PM

Basically determined that It was my shifting style that was causing the issues. I changed the oil in it, and rode it around a bit and had not had any issues since. We'll see what happens when I go on a long ride, but heres hoping!
kinda what I thought . that's why I suggested you let someone familiar with triumphs ride it .
as for the cable ................
there were two different brackets for the cable where it attaches to the engine.
you need the later one , it changes the angle of pull so you get smoother cable operation

HOLDER,CLUTCH CABLE
ENG NO 232539 AND HIGHER

and a new cable for 45 bucks wouldn't hurt either

Andyrew

I've been thinking of this mod.. Personally the lever pull isnt that bad, The clutch engagement feels really smooth to me. Hard, but smooth.. However I can see excess wear from where the cable is dragging on the opening.

Mustang

guess where  it WILL break in the middle of east bumfuck nowhere....................

Andyrew

My plan is to buy a new one and leave the old one in place zip tied. Breaks on a trail? Put the new one in and ride it back. Quick 5 min change it should be then..

ds99

my 2005 tiger 955i (with 30,000 miles) has quite a 'notchy' gearbox, and sometimes finds a false neutral when changing up. it's certainly not as smooth as japanese gearboxes.