News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Gearbox very clunky/miss shifting/ sloppy / grinding when fully warmed up

Started by Andyrew, March 31, 2014, 07:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: ds99 on September 20, 2015, 07:56:09 PM
my 2005 tiger 955i (with 30,000 miles) has quite a 'notchy' gearbox, and sometimes finds a false neutral when changing up. it's certainly not as smooth as japanese gearboxes.

Has me wondering why.  Mine has 36k and snicks into gears really cleanly. Always has and is much better than my Blackbird which can be really clunky unless you think about what you're doing. Never had to give the Tiger  gears a second thought.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JayDub

I don't know if it applies in this case but... I had a similar problem with a XJ750, I was advised to try putting some pressure on the gear lever just before pulling in the clutch, this worked well and after a few rides It developed into a habit, and I found that balancing the thottle and clutch more also helped - not revving quite as hard at the point of pulling the clutch - just generally smoothing everything out.

Sin_Tiger

Every Triumph I've ridden seems to respond well to clutchless up shifts  (please let's not go OT on the relative merits of that) just preload the pedal and flick the throttle but be positive about it. The 1050 type box had a habit of finding a false neutral from 4 to 5 if I was a bit namby pamby, entirely rider  :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Dev_1

2k Tiger with 6k miles. I've had the same issue with false neutral between 5-6th gears. Seems to happen more often when the bike is warm, less often now as I preload the shifter a bit more. Gearbox is a notchy to me, definitely not as clean as my STR.
I'll be staying tuned to see who has found a fix for this.

Chris Canning

Mine has never been great I can and do do clutchless but I'd never class mine as a good gearbox 7 out of 10 at best but I don't find myself running up and down the box in any great rush because of the lazy motor and the torque it has.

Dev_1

Chris, you're not the first person I've heard about this "torque" from. I don't feel it. I can be leaned over in my STR, twist the throttle, and the bike snaps upright very quickly. The tiger really. REALLY takes its time getting back upright.
I now, completely different bikes, but the 885i just doesn't seem to have this torque IMO.

Chris Canning

I had 2 885i's they are were a billion miles away from my 955,yea sure my 955 has had a lot more work done to it and anyone riding mine coming off a stock bike would have a heart attack.

As I've said on here before Triumph have always had a 4 year model life all apart from the 885i which they ditched after 2 tells you everything.

I/we have just had two weeks travelling Europe on a K1200 it shows 162 on the dyno got back on the Tiger on Wednesday went to Wales only rode 250 miles and since I've had the Ohlins revolved by K-Tech the bike is better than any time in previous 14 years despite having a dodgy tickover :icon_lol:

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Dev_1 on October 03, 2015, 01:33:55 AM
Chris, you're not the first person I've heard about this "torque" from. I don't feel it. I can be leaned over in my STR, twist the throttle, and the bike snaps upright very quickly. The tiger really. REALLY takes its time getting back upright.
I now, completely different bikes, but the 885i just doesn't seem to have this torque IMO.

The 885i doesn't have as much grunt as the 955i, but what you're saying is more about the bike's weight, where it carries it, and the steering geometry than the torque.

The torque is about how well the engine pulls from low down, there's no discernable step in the delivery.  One thought though, the Tiger twist grip has more travel than most, more like a third of a turn than the usual quarter so you have to go further than is natural to hit the stop.  I only mention this because when mine was new to me, I'd hadn't realised that and hadn't used full throttle until being followed by an Audi R8.  When I did it jammed wide open.  That focusses the attention let me tell you.   :bug_eye
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Dev_1

She does have a bit more gitty-up when I wring out the throttle. I have to be quicker with the shift too because that power drop from the rev-limiter is no fun. haha
I've been adjusting the rear shock preload after just about every ride to find the sweet spot. Right now she shakes her head a bit too much for my liking.
Perhaps if I come into my corner revving higher in a lower gear she will want to stand up more when I roll out of the apex.

Bixxer Bob

Getting away from the original post now, but what is your fork height setting?  the top of the fork tube should be level with the yoke (or tripletree as I believe it's called in your part of the world).

Dev_1

22.25mm above the yoke because I dropped the rear about 34.5 (I recall) by rotating the hub 180.

Bixxer Bob

JayDub

Back on topic - BOB!  :icon_biggrin:
(Re: Gearbox very clunky/miss shifting/ sloppy / grinding when fully warmed up)
Nobody has mentioned engine oil yet... could that possibly be a factor? Using the wrong type can cause some odd characteristics.

threepot

Try Petronas.  :icon_biggrin:   I notice a difference..don't think it will cure 'grinding' though?? :icon_scratch:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

motoOzarks

Cold oil is a bit stickier than hot oil. A bit more cushion and drag until warmed up.
You have already changed for the correct type.  Any different oils that would help would be masking a problem that would eventually need fixed anyways.

Does the counter sprocket rotate straight?  Is the inside of the sprocket cover in good shape?  Any scarring or gouges in there?   Meaning if a chain has come off when in motion it can jam up in there and push or pull or torque hard on the counter shaft.  This would not leave evidence of ground battle on the outside cover as pointed out in earlier responses.

Is the cs sprocket seal leaking?  Does it look to have been replaced? 

If such has happened it could have torqued on a shaft on the inside or messed with shifter forks and/or their mounts all while skidding to a stop or while the rider was trying to get the mess undone.  Ripe time to have bad things happen "in between" gears.

There is a difference between shifter forks/ spacers/ gears "dancing" against each other and a clunk you can feel through the machine.

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i