News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

First gear power, Wheelie?

Started by Andyrew, April 15, 2014, 09:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andyrew

So im getting used to my 02 Triumph 955i and am much more comfortable shifting it and riding it. It handles pretty good and the power is certainly good (Not what I was hoping for...) but I wanted to see what you guys feel in terms of power for this bike? I know its heavy, I know its long, but I have one question....

Can you guys power wheelie first gear? Im not saying I want to hoon in the bike, I just want to know if mine is running 100%... First time I smacked the throttle in first I was suprised how uneventful it was.. I didnt really get the power thrill I was hoping for and it was kind of a letdown. I had expected a bike with this much torque and fuel injection could power wheelie pretty easy, but the only thing I can do is kinda hop the front wheel an inch or so on a quick throttle burst.

My bike has the TOR exhaust and Im not sure the tune or anything else. What does yours do?

Thanks!
Andrew

Bixxer Bob

Girlies aren't geared for wheelies.  You could change sprockets to achieve your aim, but it'd be red lining the top end everywhere.

The geometry isn't helping wheelies either,  the fork rake is well forward thus keeping the bike planted.

Are you using all the throttle?  My Blackbird is 1/4 turn to full throttle, the Tiger is over 1/3 so you have to consciously twist it the extra bit to get to the stop.

If it's not pulling like a train on full throttle, you need to find out why.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

NortonCharlie

The front end on my 01 comes off the ground in first if I nail it in the zone.  It settles itself down, doesn't stand up or anything scary but carries the front wheel to the rev limiter.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Andyrew

Charlie,

What RPM is the "ZONE" for your bike? Im riging it home in an hour and can check to see if that works for me..

Keep in mind im a 225lb guy... but due to the size of this bike I dont expect many riders under 200lbs..

tntmo

I can stand up my 2005 in a first gear wheelie and ride it for quite a bit.  I have shifted into second and carried it for a bit, if I had some talent I'm sure it would go for a long time. 

Andyrew

TNT, Im not saying clutch wheelies, Im saying power wheelies.

tntmo

Yes, roll on power wheelie.  I don't like to do clutch wheelies.  Rolling in first, crack the throttle to lift the tire and shift into second while riding it. 

Andyrew

OK... Pulled the sprocket cover and counted....19t.... Marked as "France"
Checked my spare parts bag (actually did this first) and found the stock 18t as well as a new 19t.

I'm gonna check the wear on the stock sprocket and see how I like it..

NortonCharlie

The zone hits pretty hard about 5500-6000.  Not sure if will do it with the 19, I just don't ride as hard anymore.  I ran the stock 18 for about 50,000 miles swapped it to the 19 from my Sprint RS and gave the RS an 18.   I have never tried to wheelie, more comfortable with both wheels on the ground.  Might not of really noticed much if not for the comments of the guys riding with me.  You get to rolling away from a stop and suddenly everybody gets in a hurry, throttles open and stuff happens.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Roadinator

I'm at 250lbs and an '05 Girly with a 19t front sprocket and the clutch is the only way to get the front wheel off the ground for me, but I will try the power wheelie thingy this weekend! :wheel
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i in Lucifer Orange