News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Which air filter?

Started by JayDub, April 15, 2014, 11:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

I don't know whether to clean and use the OEM one fitted, which is in really good condition, or buy a new one (I could do with saving the cash tbh).  I know some of you don't like K&N's but those of you who do - what is your opinion and what tuning may be needed due to the increased air flow.

nickjtc

Apparently it is not possible/advisable/whatever to reuse the stock air filter because it comes integral with the air box. So has to be replaced as an entire unit.

On my bike the po has replaced the filter with a K&N unit, which pre-supposes that he was able to dismantle the airbox. Along with doing this he re-jetted the carbs with a Dynojet kit and messed around with the exhaust. Whether re-jetting is absolutely necessary with a K&N filter I will have to defer to those on the forum who know better.  :qgaraduate
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JayDub

I've already split the air box, the filter is out, its just a question of clean and re-use or replace it with the option of K&N's lifetime guarantee - or more like their claim that I could get up to 50,000 mls before a re-clean :icon_wink:

nickjtc

Quote from: JayDub on April 15, 2014, 11:33:41 PM
..or more like their claim that I could get up to 50,000 mls before a re-clean :icon_wink:

And I have some fabulous beach front property in the middle of the desert for you to buy.  :icon_lol: I would take that claim with a big grain of salt.... even just riding on the paved roads hereabouts the filter in any vehicle picks up a fair amount of crud. 50,000 miles before any cleaning or service would be asking for trouble.  :icon_confused:

If the stock filter will clean up satisfactorily, why change?
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

I've used the K&N with standard jetting without any issues. When I took it out to clean it I can't say as I noticed anymore dust downstream than I did with the original filter.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

Quote from: JayDub on April 15, 2014, 11:14:59 PM
I don't know whether to clean and use the OEM one fitted, which is in really good condition, or buy a new one (I could do with saving the cash tbh).  I know some of you don't like K&N's but those of you who do - what is your opinion and what tuning may be needed due to the increased air flow.
OEM............if it's clean ride it if it's dirty clean and reuse .
the element will outlast the cheap plastic box it comes in anyway .................

JayDub

OK, that's answered that one then, and saved me 30 quid  :icon_biggrin: - result!

JayDub

Quote from: nickjtc on April 15, 2014, 11:47:59 PM
Quote from: JayDub on April 15, 2014, 11:33:41 PM
..or more like their claim that I could get up to 50,000 mls before a re-clean :icon_wink:

And I have some fabulous beach front property in the middle of the desert for you to buy.  :icon_lol: I would take that claim with a big grain of salt.... even just riding on the paved roads hereabouts the filter in any vehicle picks up a fair amount of crud. 50,000 miles before any cleaning or service would be asking for trouble.  :icon_confused:

If the stock filter will clean up satisfactorily, why change?

I tend to agree... So its either a new OEM or K&N and if it ain't broke don't fix it.  That's a huge claim, hope they can back it up.

threepot

Mine has a K&N. Runs ok,and it runs ok without blanking cap,but I have re-fitted..seems to run just a little better.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

Quote from: threepot on April 16, 2014, 06:02:13 PM
Mine has a K&N. Runs ok,and it runs ok without blanking cap,but I have re-fitted..seems to run just a little better.
Picky things these steamers when it comes to airflow, I'm in the process of putting right all of the PO's misdoings, I've just cleaned the OE filter and its too good to throw so that will be going back in, just ordered new inlet stubs and new carb needles as one was dodgy and hopefully there won't be any more surprises to come  :icon_cry:

HeavyHustler

What are you cleaning the stock filter with Mustang?  Warm soapy water?  Blow dry?

Mustang

Quote from: HeavyHustler on April 16, 2014, 10:30:17 PM
What are you cleaning the stock filter with Mustang?  Warm soapy water?  Blow dry?
I use NoToil oil and special notoil cleaner from the honda shop
they don't require that much attention though unless you spend a lot of time on dry dusty dirt roads :bad

JayDub

I used just warm soapy water and hung it up to dry overnight, not much came out, just a slight discolouration in the water, I didn't use oil as the stock Trumpet ones are dry.

Mustang

NoToil is not really oil (they even play on words with their name )
NoT   oil .................... :ImaPoser
but it is the exact same principle as oiling your air filter .
traps more fine dust with proper oiling .

leaving an oem steamer filter dry is ok ,k&n needs the oil
I oil my oem foam steamer filters  because the beasts do go down dusty dry dirt roads for miles on end .
the three spoke wheel on the hack looks brown it has so much dust caked on it from dirt roads .

HeavyHustler