News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

fuel range

Started by ssevy, April 22, 2014, 01:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

Okay, warning light went on with 195 miles on the trip meter. At 250 miles, I still did not start to run out, and I had not flipped over to reserve. I had calculated about 35 mpg on my last tankful, so I was thinking 5.3 x 35 is 185.5 to reserve, so really 250 รท 5.3 would be 47, so I must have done a bit better than this since I still wasn't on reserve. Pretty cool!
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Mustang

riding it on two lane roads at 55 mph or less are ya ? step that pig up to 80 mph all day on the interstate and tell me what you get ........... :bug_eye
it won't be near 40 mpg
it'll be closer to 35 or less  :icon_mrgreen:

ssevy

You guessed it! The woeful condition of the roads in the Adirondacks won't allow for any spirited riding, which is fine with me, because I like to soak up the sunshine and enjoy the views before the tourists all get here! Did about 265 miles non-stop today, and a little over 400 a week ago chasing a tag down in Ithaca. This week the forks and shock come off to be sent to Pro Pilot suspension for a rebuild. He's doing the shock with upgraded and heavier components and a new stainless lid, and I'm stripping down the forks and have him put in new triple seals and bushings and new springs, and then I'll install the Intiminators and Amsoil fork oil myself when I get them back. Just got the center stand and engine guards, so I am almost finished with the upgrading I needed. Considering how much I love this bike as is, it should be really something once I finish it! You guys that have been "married" to these for awhile probably chuckle to hear me say it, but I am still in the lovesick, newlywed state of mind whenever I see this bike parked in my garage, or better yet, when I ride it! I wouldn't trade it for a new bike, regardless of what you offered.

Sin_Tiger

So you got Intiminators for the Steamer? Love to hear how you found the results.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Frosties

Quote from: Mustang on April 22, 2014, 01:49:45 AM
riding it on two lane roads at 55 mph or less are ya ? step that pig up to 80 mph all day on the interstate and tell me what you get ........... :bug_eye
it won't be near 40 mpg
it'll be closer to 35 or less  :icon_mrgreen:

Don't make sense, what's up the fuel you fellas use over there. My daily commute is 50 miles one way - 35 miles sitting at 90-95mph, the other 15 short shifting across London and I get nudging 200 miles before the fuel light comes on....or about 50mpg!!

Mustang

your gallons are bigger than a US gallon.........................

ssevy

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on April 23, 2014, 03:11:53 PM
So you got Intiminators for the Steamer? Love to hear how you found the results.

They are on the way from Ricor. It has been pretty chilly in the garage these past couple of nights, so I haven't pulled the forks or shock yet. I should have done it Sunday, as it was warm and beautiful, but I rode it instead. Seemed like the right option at the time :nod

Will definitely post up some photos and feedback once everything is back together.

Frosties

Quote from: Mustang on April 23, 2014, 11:05:37 PM
your gallons are bigger than a US gallon.........................
:sign13   :hat10

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: ssevy on April 24, 2014, 01:17:14 AM
but I rode it instead. Seemed like the right option at the time :nod

:nod
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

fishnbiker

So many factors to affect the fuel range. Having run mine for 18 years now, around 130,000km I think I've seen most of it. Gearing changes from at 17 to 19 tooth front sprocket got my range from 270 km up to 340 before reserve. More economy after a carb balance & valve adjust. Clean or dirty air filter. Jetting by PO. Where do you want to start?
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

threepot

Just got back from the Carole Nash Classic show in Stafford (brilliant show..I'll try and post some pics on 'Speaking of bikes'.) Filled up yesterday before leaving. With the bike on side stand,filled to the bottom of neck of filler cap. Fuel warning light came on just as we arrived at our hotel. Miles covered 179. Filled up again for return journey-15.88ltrs to the same mark=approx 50mpg. I'm happy with that :thumbsup

Fuel used-Premium.kept more or less to the required speed limits on all roads.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

OK. So what gives here? Just filled up at 318kms and put 21.2 litres in. The spec sheet says that the tank holds 25 litres (5.5 imperial galls) with 5 litres (1.1 Imp gall) of 'reserve'. However I was still on 'main', but should had been on reserve with only 3.8 litres left...... Anyone else noticed that 'reserve' is less than 5 litres? Or maybe the po has messed around with the internals of the fuel tap inside the tank...

And incidentally I am getting a regular 42mpImperialg riding with a restrained right wrist.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

threepot

I get the same impression. Several times I have expected the fuel warning light to come on,due to the fact that I have felt that I have covered more miles than the fuel I have put in,but..Maybe I am underestimating what the bike is actually doing re mpg? But after a 320 mile trip over the w'end,it worked out at 50mpg.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

ssevy

Once I get back on the road, I am going to carry a fuel bottle and run her dry a few times to see just what the number really is. Probably not significant, but I notice that when it is on the side stand and you fill it, when it looks like it is almost to the bottom of the filler tube, there is quite a bit more space left. Maybe that is accounting for some of the variation?

Mustang

you guys do realize that the fuel mileage topic has  beaten that poor horse to death repeatedly in all the forums here............................

use the search button  :icon_eek: