News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How to recover a "bricked" ECU

Started by Bixxer Bob, June 03, 2014, 11:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Well, it had to happen eventually, familiarity breeds contempt and all that...

I bricked my ECU yesterday.  Combination of Tuneboy, a new(er) laptop, Windows Seven and me not paying attention.  Or heeding the warning signs.  Hooked up Tuneboy and Tunedit to do some work prior to going to France using the latest version of the software and my relatively new laptop with Windows Seven on it. Ok, it's not that new, but I kept an old laptop in the garage with XP and an earlier version of Tuneboy on it that always worked well but the keyboard recently packed up so it's the first time I've used this one.  First sign of trouble was it would write (laptop on mains, battery on charger at 14.5v like I'm always preaching at everyone) but wouldn't read a map from the ECU. Odd I thought.  No matter, I started to write another map to the ECU and it stopped half way through and that was it.  Lights out.  Nothing going on. No amount of trying to recover it would work.  I tried disconnecting the battery for a while, everything I could think of.  Zilch.  I put my spare ECU on the bike which is always standing by with a clean standard 10173 map in it and everything was back to normal so I called it a day.

This morning, (funny how your brain subconsciously works on problems when you're asleep or not thinking about them) I remembered I hadn't loaded the Tuneboy cable driver because Windows Seven had automatically installed the generic USB device driver without asking.  I deleted the driver, installed the correct one from the Tuneboy website and hooked it up.  Still nothing.  The Tuneboy ECU recovery routine didn't help.

I then gave TuneECU a go.  Eventually, after some frigging around, I got a red light, then yellow and finally green.  I blew in a new map and it's fully recovered.  Tuneboy 0 - TuneECU 1.

Got to dash now so I'll write up the "how" later.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

John Stenhouse

Having done that to an MP3 player I know the feeling, glad you sorted it. When are you off to France? Going myself on Sunday, Eurostar over then pick up a bike from Dave and do a bit of the Le Mans 24hr.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Mustang

Bixxer Bob

As I've always said,  I make the mistakes (and recover from them) so you don't have to.....  :ImaPoser

Recovery procedure was:

First check good volts at the battery, charger on,  14.5v, laptop on mains.

Hook up OBD cable, boot up TuneECU.

In the drop down menu under "options", turn off autoconnect (because it just goes into a handshake loop).

Turn on ign.

Select the Map Edit tab or it won't default to Recovery Mode, it'll just sit there calling the ECU and the ECU ignoring it.

Select Connect to ECU from the dropdown menu under ECU.

Let it run.  It'll take a minute or three, but eventually it'll come back with "Cannot connect to ECU do you want to initiate recovery mode?"

Click "yes"

In another couple of minutes the connection light in the bottom corner will flash yellow then eventually green then the map loading bar across the bottom of the screen will start to progress left to right.

When its done you're back in business!

To be honest, there's no reason why any-one should have this problem.  The ECU is pretty robust and I've recovered from corrupt maps several times both on my bike and the bikes of others.  It occurred, I think, making the old-hand mistake of using the Tuneboy cable with the wrong driver. 

It's worth noting though that TuneECU requires their own driver for the OBD lead too. :icon_rolleyes:

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on June 03, 2014, 04:18:59 PM
To be honest, there's no reason why any-one should have this problem.   :icon_rolleyes:

:augie

Good write up mate  :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Spud

Thanks for the write up, not that I understood any of it  :icon_scratch:

I can't remember the last time my map was updated  :icon_redface:

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

PeteH

Spud, If it running ok dont feck with it  :nod
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Chris Canning

Well I'm somewhere between the two whiles't I'm not as anal as Bixxer about my mapping sticking with the same old isn't the smartest thing to do either,just find yourself a good dealer(yea yea I know) and get a new one blown in.

Sin_Tiger

You might be lucky and BB has his box of tricks with him on the meet in July  :icon_wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

PeteH

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on June 07, 2014, 08:46:01 AM
You might be lucky and BB has his box of tricks with him on the meet in July  :icon_wink:

Hmm, Saturday morning surgery...best book an appointment  :icon_lol:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: PeteH on June 08, 2014, 01:04:47 AM
Hmm, Saturday morning surgery...best book an appointment  :icon_lol:

:nono Sat morning we're riding, no  :nap :icon_study:  :blah in the campsite after porridge thankyou.