News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Head off help

Started by 97tiger885, June 12, 2014, 10:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

The liners are out, marked, lightly oiled and bagged.

Should I pull the pistons to check them and the rings?   I can clean the pistons  in place. 

ram33

well done  :eusa_clap

i removed mine just so i could remove some light scoring i had. if you don't need to then i wouldn't bother as i found it quite fiddly to get the circlips in and out (don't forget to put new ones in if you do)
just pack around pistons well so no bits drop inside
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

97tiger885

Quote from: ram33 on September 14, 2014, 05:15:10 PM
well done  :eusa_clap

i removed mine just so i could remove some light scoring i had. if you don't need to then i wouldn't bother as i found it quite fiddly to get the circlips in and out (don't forget to put new ones in if you do)
just pack around pistons well so no bits drop inside

One vote for no.   I like it.

97tiger885

The pistons are clean enough.

Next is getting the rings set in the proper positions.

Getting both 3s and 4 set wasn't happening.  So, I pulled rings one and two to make it easier.  Here is what I found.

This is ring 2 with the marked edge up.  It reads 2NPR?  2NFR?  The mark was up in the second grovve.

Here is another photo of ring 2.  This is top side up.

Here is ring 1.  No mark.  This was the bottom side in the groove.

Here is the top side of ring 1.  No mark.  This is suposed to be marked and have  a chamfered edge.  Can anybody see the chamfering?   I can talk myself into seeing it if I stare at long enough.  Should the chafered edge be obvious or is it very slight?  I even used a magnifying glass.  No help.

Any thoughts here?   Should I buy rings just to be sure?  Are these replacement rings proving the head has been off previously?

ram33

must admit i didn't put the rings in the positions shown as i already had head back on before i read that bit. cant say it seems to make much difference and i would have thought the rings would gradually work there way into other positions anyway
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

Mustang

I vote for new rings

why did you take it apart ?

97tiger885

Quote from: Mustang on September 17, 2014, 06:02:10 PM
I vote for new rings

I was hoping you would have an opinion.  Okay, new rings.  Any rings in particular?  OEM from BikeBandit good enough?

Blown head gasket.

Mustang

Quote from: 97tiger885 on September 17, 2014, 08:07:20 PM
I vote for new rings

I was hoping you would have an opinion.  Okay, new rings.  Any rings in particular?  OEM from BikeBandit good enough?

Blown head gasket.
OEM rings are plenty good .
can you still see cross hatch marks in the cylinder bores ? that's a good thing .

97tiger885

Quote from: Mustang on September 17, 2014, 08:45:41 PM
Quote from: 97tiger885 on September 17, 2014, 08:07:20 PM
I vote for new rings o

Blown head gasket.
OEM rings are plenty good .
can you still see cross hatch marks in the cylinder bores ? that's a good thing .

OEM it is. 

Cross hatching visible on all three:

Cyl 1

Cyl 2

Cyl 3

Sin_Tiger

:thumbsup perfect, don't touch them  :nod
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

97tiger885

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on September 19, 2014, 12:46:20 AM

Good.

Just ordered rings and cam bolts.  Be a while for those.

Next up is lapping the valves.  Watched a few videos.  Doesn't look too hard.  Tomorrow lapping tool,  grinding compound,  oil can and acetone (to clean gasket faces).

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: 97tiger885 on September 19, 2014, 02:10:12 AM
Quote from: Sin_Tiger on September 19, 2014, 12:46:20 AM

Good.

Just ordered rings and cam bolts.  Be a while for those.

Next up is lapping the valves.  Watched a few videos.  Doesn't look too hard.  Tomorrow lapping tool,  grinding compound,  oil can and acetone (to clean gasket faces).

Do the absolute minimum, contact is good enough, don't try to get a wide band or all the imperfections out, just wasting metal and your time. Keep it moving and don't be tempted to use a drill unless you have an oscillating tool.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

97tiger885

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on September 19, 2014, 02:39:34 PM

Do the absolute minimum, contact is good enough, don't try to get a wide band or all the imperfections out, just wasting metal and your time. Keep it moving and don't be tempted to use a drill unless you have an oscillating tool.

Okay.  Plan is  hand power only.  No power tools.

Good video at