News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Northward bound

Started by nickjtc, June 15, 2014, 08:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

We (me on Stanley, Gerry on his spanking new KTM 1190, and Ben on his spanking new GS1200) left home yesterday and headed north through Kamloops and Prince George. Did about 700 km trouble free. The stock seat on Stanley is fine for about 2 hours, then it's time to get off and stretch. Fully loaded with the side cases and top box the fuel mileage is hovering around 38mp(imperial)g.

The tube-to-tubeless conversion is holding up well.

We passed a posse (herd? gaggle? group?) of several hundred Harley types going the other way at Bridge Lake. Must have been a rally or toy run or something. Otherwise not too many bikes on the road.

It's interesting that the 'extras' Gerry has thrown at the KTM (cases, crash bars etc etc) cost more than Stanley did!

No pictures yet... nothing interesting to see. Will post when there is something worth sharing.

We're off to Mile '0' of the Alaska Highway and will then head on north through Fort Nelson, to end up hopefully in Liard hot springs this evening.

All fun and games!! :icon_lol:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

Looking forward to the long report  :new_popcornsmiley

Show them what the old girl can still do without a computer in sight  :wheel

:XXsunsmile and ride safe  :wave
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

We did 756km yesterday and 773km today, ending up this evening in Fort Nelson. It got decidedly soggy the last few hours of the ride so we have wimped out and crashed in a motel.

In the peeing rain I was leading and upped the pace just a little, so of course the mpg fell.. to 35 mp(imperial)g

An interesting day. The speedo cable on the Tiger gave up the ghost (a common problem??) so it's a good thing I have the GPS. Also the tickover is reluctant to come down to a 'normal' idle, so I think there is an air leak in there somewhere. But he sure likes to go around corners.

I have to say that although this is proving to be an interesting trip I don't think that I will do it again. The roads are mind numbingly boring in places!!

Anyhoo, here is a hotel in Quesnel built to resemble the paddle wheelers that used to go up and down the Fraser River, camping last night, and Mile '0' of the Alaska Highway in Dawson Creek.

nickjtc

Day 3. An easy 328km through a bit of rain, but made up for by some really nice road ('scenic byway') once we got to Muncho Lake. We ended up staying at Liard Hot Springs to camp. The place was full but they kindly let us stay in the car park!

The fuel is indifferent and expensive. Usually only lower grade, so I'm glad I brought along some octane booster.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: nickjtc on June 16, 2014, 06:39:17 AM

I was leading and upped the pace just a little, ....................

The speedo cable on the Tiger gave up the ghost (a common problem??) .

Naughty  :bad it's only common if you try to bend the needle  :wheel
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on June 17, 2014, 11:00:25 PM
Naughty  :bad it's only common if you try to bend the needle  :wheel

I'm so wrapped up about the poor mileage that I have not revved the engine above 5,500rpm on this trip. Honest. I had forewarning that the cable was on the way out because it chirped at me for about 10km.

nickjtc

Yesterday. Entering the mountains and at Liard hot springs.

nickjtc

476km today. Another boring ride in on and off drizzle. But we finally crossed in to the Yukon. Wimped out, yet again, and stayed in the warm and dry.

More pics en route.

nickjtc

And, not wishing to start a fuel thread, the great thing about a long road trip is that you get to assess fuel mileage with good, bad and ugly fuel. With factory authorised 'mid' grade Stanley is getting a consistent 38 mp(imperial)g. With 'high' grade, yup, still 38 mpg. However with 'scrape-the-bottom-of-the-barrel' low grade (even with octane booster) the mileage sank to 35mpg.

nickjtc

So here we are in Dawson City, Yukon. 3038km from home. This place is quite interesting with its gravel streets and boardwalks, over priced accomodation, and general aura of being frayed around the edges. Last night was 'cheap' beer night at the Triple J hotal ($3.75 a pint) so we had to imbibe, of course. And the obligatory visit to the Downtown Hotel bar to do Captain Dick's 'Sour Toe Cocktail'.

http://www.canadacool.com/COOLFACTS/YUKON/DawsonSourToe.html

Another way of relieving the hapless tourist of more money! So far the most predominant make of bike in town is BMW. A few KLR 650s, and a Moto Guzzi Quota with sidecar attached.

Today the rest of the 200 or so hardy souls will start rolling in to town. It's cool and overcast and the Top of the World Highway is not looking good for our crossing in to the US on Saturday!!

nickjtc

Today is mooch around day until the fun and games start later. There is a poker run this afternoon then a steak dinner followed by riding games, which should be entertaining after the riders are all beered up. At midnight, when it should still be quite light, they hand out the coveted 'Dust to Dawson' decal for the bike.

This is rapidly turning in to a BMW/KTM benefit, with 1200GSs being the most predominant. More KLRs have shown up, including one gal from Hawaii who took her bike apart to get it shipped to Seattle as 'motorcycle parts' (and saved $1000 by doing so), put it all back together and is now heading for the east coast! Some V-Stroms.

The only 'odd' bikes here, apart from my Steamer, are a couple of Honda 'road' bikes and a Kawasaki Versys.

nickjtc

And the only other Triumph, so far!

threepot

At least your not in the Ewan Mcgregor 'wannabe' category. The crowd who think unless your on a GS,you can't have an 'adventure' on a bike :icon_rolleyes:
Hope the rest of the trip goes ok for you :thumbsup
95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

Interestingly enough not one person on this trip has wanted to engage in conversation about my bike or Steamers in general. Where I stayed last night in Dease Lake (the back of beyond) there was a Girly with sidecar attached. And on the road yesterday I passed what might have been a Girly too. Apart from those and the ones in Dawson City I have seen 0 Triumph adventure bikes.

On my way home now. My riding buddy has more time/money so decided to head back in to Alaska, and I decided to head home. Yesterday was a 900km day. Today, from Dease Lake to Quesnel was 1086km. So this proves that a Steamer can function as a long distance machine.

I'll fill in the gaps and post some pics when I get home tomorrow.... an 'easy' day of 500km or so.

John Stenhouse

Thanks for the memories, your photos have reminded me of my trip there in 08, swam at Liard, stayed in Dawson, thanks for posting.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting