News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

BBs back

Started by Bixxer Bob, June 28, 2014, 10:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Had mainly a good trip to France but spoiled a bit on the penultimate day.  I'll post some pics of the holiday next week as I'm off to a wedding this weekend, but here's the story for now.

6pm Wed I got a puncture at 80mph on the Tours ring road. Managed to get it stopped ok but dropped the bike. Unfortunately it fell on a kerb so the crash bars didn't save it; the tank and silencer were damaged as well as snapping a footpeg. Luckily, Mr Triumph forsaw such an event and made the front and back pegs the same so a quick swap and it was fixed. Not so the puncture. Repair kit couldn't fix such a big hole so breakdown recovered the bike. Next morning they delivered it to a local bike shop who fitted a new tyre and discovered the cause of the puncture inside the old one. It was a 6mm drill bit that went right through the tyre, blunt end first! The sharp end snapped off when taking a chunk out of my hugger. Job completed, we had a fast 80 mile dash to catch the ferry and a quiet crossing docking at 9.30pm. A tough ride in driving rain and complete darkness (try turning your wipers off for a few seconds next time you're out in a deluge, you'll soon get a idea of how tough - but not in traffic. Obviously. That's only for nutters like me) saw me home at 01.10am. 

Noticed this morning the brakes are worn out too.  Lots of work before Scotland.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

John Stenhouse

Not nice, glad your OK, my trip to France ended with a train strike so had to bring a bike home
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Sin_Tiger

Not so nice end to the trip, glad it was no more dramatic than that.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Aye,  it's funny how these things take you, in a matter of seconds, from blatting along watching the scenery go past, to standing in the scenery watching the traffic go past.  And trying to think your way out of it.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

Bad luck! Buuuuut shouldn't be too hard to fix up for a man of your talents.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

PeteH

That's so feckin unlucky, you do something to upset the big fella ?
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Bixxer Bob

After looking into how I could fix the tank paint, and cost, and that I'm not likely to want to sell any time soon,  I've gone the Bagster route.  Ask me if I'm regretting selling my first one to Cos......  :icon_evil:

The Blue Flame is coming off until I can re-skin it - probably in polished aluminium to save a bit of weight (and because it's easier to work) so the old standard can will be going back on.

Chris Canning

birddogone

Hey BB, Sorry about the fall, but things always seem to work their way out in this crazy world we're ride'n on.
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

"If it doesn't run on fossil fuel or gun powder I'm not interested"

Bixxer Bob

Thanks guys, always positive  :thumbsup

Sin_Tiger

Getting to like her little naps  :icon_mrgreen: I think I read on another forum that blue flame can supply replacement skins.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Marc

Bad luck man  :BangHead  Why is Murphy still alive?

But how has the tank been damaged with the bars on?
Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Spud

Quote from: Marc on July 07, 2014, 08:41:03 AM

Why is Murphy still alive, Hello what have I ever done to you :icon_redface:

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

Chris Canning

Out of interest as  I've not had to call the breakdown out while in Europe,who did you use,how long did it take for them to rock up,at some time when I have all the facts I'll tell about my brush with Dutch law on the way back from Assen :icon_wink: but boy the game sure is changing.

Mustang

Quote from: Marc on July 07, 2014, 08:41:03 AM

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on June 28, 2014, 10:57:10 AM
Unfortunately it fell on a kerb so the crash bars didn't save it; the tank and silencer were damaged as well as snapping a footpeg.