News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

BBs back

Started by Bixxer Bob, June 28, 2014, 10:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chinchliffe

Chris,
I broke down last month in  France, just off the ferry at Le Havre. Alarm failed on my Girly. Rang Carol Nash who put me in touch with the AA breakdown service. They sent out a recovery truck which took my bike to a compound. I then got a taxi which cost EUR600 !! (paid by my insurance) to take me to the gite at Le Mans, the next day picking up a hire car (paid by the insurance).
I phoned the AA over the next two days, trying to find out when and where my bike would be fixed. They seemed to have no interest in getting it repaired, saying that there was a three week wait at the nearest Triumph dealership and I didn't understand what French garages were like. They just wanted to repatriate it back to the UK, and were happy to drop my bike at the quayside in Le Havre, for me to push it onto the ferry !! then be picked up by the AA at Portsmouth and taken home.
Fortunatley I had an alarm plug with me. I phoned Woods Triumph at Abergele and spoke to their mechanic Paul, who told me how to bypass the alarm with the plug. I drove back to the compound at Le Havre and sorted my bike within 20 minutes. I then phoned the breakdown company to tell them I had fixed it, to which I didn't even get a thank you.
It spoilt my holiday and must be costing the insurance companies a fortune.
A big thank you though to Woods of Abergele for their help, and if anyone still has an alarm on their Girly 'GET IT BYPASSED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE !!'

chinchliffe

Just to repeat and stop the same thing happening to others GET YOUR ALARM SORTED!!!!!

Chris Canning

For what it is worth maybe going home doesn't count but when the battery on my K went tits up a couple of years ago the ferry people at Portsmouth said that If I could ride the bike onto the ferry under it's own power we couldn't go.

Bixxer Bob

:thumbsup @Mustang.

Chris, I took out temporary cover with Green Flag through Europeanbreakdowncover.com, cost me about £35 for the week. I rang a UK number and they did everything which included contacting the French office, sending someone out and ringing me back to tell me what was happening.  It took about an hour and a half for them to find me.  It's worth taking the time with a map to pinpoint your exact location before ringing them.  Green Flag don't use grid references and my Garmin, when using the "Where am I?" button, lied and put me about 5 miles from where I actually was.  Had I been on my own they'd have sorted a hotel for me as well, but we already had that covered.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

PeteH

Quote from: chinchliffe on July 07, 2014, 08:22:57 PM
It spoilt my holiday and must be costing the insurance companies a fortune.
A big thank you though to Woods of Abergele for their help

Methinks all insurance overheads are eventually passed on to customers  :nod and 10/10 to Woods`s for the info, hear nothing but good stuff for that place  :thumbsup
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

SilverTiger

Just been reading this thread with interest.  I have never had a problem with my alarm/immobiliser but I know they can be a real pain and I have always worried about what to do if the worst should happen when I'm abroad on one of my big tours.  I have never heard about the alarm bypass plug trick.  I did a search on here and only this thread came up.  Can you tell me more?  eg What is the plug, where do I get one, where/how does it fit etc. etc.  I think I must get one.  Thanks!
Ian
2006 silver Triumph Tiger 955i
1975 Triumph Bonneville T140
1972 Kawasaki 500 H1B - now restored, very orange
1999 Yamaha R1 - bought new

threepot

I bought my steamer 2 yrs ago,and it has a spyball ,factory fitted? It has never worked,don't even have the remote for it. But it decided to work on the way back from the Scotland meet! Rode for it for ages with the alarm sounding. Got some strange looks! Anyway,I parked up,traced the speaker,and cut the wires. Luckily the imobiliser didn't kick in! Do you think this by-pass plug is fitted to the steamers?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Mustang

Quote from: threepot on August 07, 2014, 11:09:07 PM
Do you think this by-pass plug is fitted to the steamers?
The factory alarm plugs into the harness at the tail end . and on bikes without the alarm you need the special little plug
which lets the ignition work without the alarm fitted .

Bixxer Bob

Haven't time to look it up this morning, but if you go to world of Triumph, your model and lookon the electrics page it's listed there with the part no.   I think they were about £7.  Once you have one, to get rid of your alarm, it's plug and play.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

SilverTiger

Thanks BB.  Just had a look at most sections here and couldn't find it  :icon_sad:  Am I on the right website?  Cheers.  Ian

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_catalogue.php?model_id=232917

Bixxer Bob

Hmm, site's changed recently.  I couldn't find it either.  Try ringing your dealer, he should be able to help.  If not, I wrote a bit about which pins to connect together a while ago when doing a Sprint ST for a mate.  It's only necessary to get the power to the ECU and the starter going ie two pairs of jumpers.  The rest are red herrings or for things like flashing LEDs.

SilverTiger

Thankyou. I'll do a bit more research.

blacktiger

Quote from: chinchliffe on July 07, 2014, 08:23:31 PM
Just to repeat and stop the same thing happening to others GET YOUR ALARM SORTED!!!!!

I threw mine away years ago figuring that no-one would want to nick 5 year old Tiger anyway. And no-one would want to nick any Tiger anyway. Just carry a decent Abus shackle lock instead which doesn't arm itself at fuel stops and doesn't conk out if you park near a radio mast etc. etc.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

blacktiger

Quote from: Mustang on August 07, 2014, 11:35:43 PM
The factory alarm plugs into the harness at the tail end . and on bikes without the alarm you need the special little plug
which lets the ignition work without the alarm fitted .

And the supplying dealer should have given the plug to the owner. Mine did. I actually kept it under the rear section of the seat in case the alarm ever went wrong. just plugged it in when I threw the alarn away.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

threepot

Thanks guys,I'll take a look
95 Super111
96 Tiger