News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Who has done the longest...?

Started by Nick Calne, June 30, 2014, 07:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

....ride on a tiger, in a day.

I did a piffling 375 miles yesterday (in training for the Scotland trip) and am absolutely cream crackered even now. I bet some of you guys do that before lunch.  So the inevitable question, do we have a distance champion?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

nickjtc

1086km (675 miles), last Tuesday. Dease Lake, British Columbia, to Quesnel, British Columbia. Twelve and a half hours total time, including stops.

900km the day before from Million Dollar Falls campsite, south of Haines Junction, Yukon, to Dease Lake.

Stock seat is bearable, but I get really sore across the shoulders; not relaxing enough I suppose.  :icon_wink:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Geoff W

I can't get near Nickjtc, but distances tend to smaller here. We have charity ride every year for the Great North Air Ambulance. You ride the perimeter of the area they cover, supposedly 500
miles, my trip read 535 miles when I finished after well over 12 hours. Two friends of mine, one on a Fireblade and one on a Sprint ST, did two laps in under 24 hours.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

threepot

Quote from: nickjtc on June 30, 2014, 09:25:56 PM
1086km (675 miles), last Tuesday. Dease Lake, British Columbia, to Quesnel, British Columbia. Twelve and a half hours total time, including stops.

900km the day before from Million Dollar Falls campsite, south of Haines Junction, Yukon, to Dease Lake.

Stock seat is bearable, but I get really sore across the shoulders; not relaxing enough I suppose.  :icon_wink:

:notworthy.             I did 170 MLS recently..serious 'numb bum' syndrom :icon_redface:  I hope to make the Scotland trip? Think I will invest in a Airhawk2.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Bixxer Bob

Last week on the France trip I did two days of roughly 350 miles each, using the Airhawk 2, and arrived tired, but could probably have done another 100 miles.  I did a couple of days of around 250 miles without the Airhawk, and had had enough.  Notably, I felt like I'd been kicked in the prostrate.  Hard.

I shall be using the Airhawk for Scotland.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Singapore to Hatyai (Thailand) by the longer route, a shade over 900 kms, on the Steamer, once on the 800XC and once on a Street Triple, that was a bit harder in the monsoon rain  :icon_eek:. If I hadn't run out of cigs, I'd have kept going to Phuket (1350kms)  :pimp
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

Few years ago did Barcelona/Birmingham 1050 miles in 16 hours but that did include the Dover/Calais crossing,but 6/700 miles days jeeze we've done loads of e'm.

Spud

Pyrenees to Stourbridge about 950 miles in 19 hours 

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

PeteH

Not on the Tiger but the Speed 3 ..... Chester to Llandovery and back (Brecon Beacons) last Saturday around 250m, ask me how my wrists are :icon_frown:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

nickjtc

Just goes to show that these bikes are very capable as a long distance tool. No worries on my behalf about a 78,000 km machine being problematical mechanically over the long haul. Well, except for the speedo drive seizing up, that is.  :icon_wink:

And, frankly, if I have to get off every 2-3 hours to refuel, the seat isn't too much of an issue. However, a Corbin is very tempting.... :bad
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

NortonCharlie

I typically do about 250-650 miles a day when I am traveling.  About 825 is the longest day I remember rolling from Wyoming across Nebraska and home to Iowa.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

HockleyBoy

Have done a couple of long days, 950 odd miles and about 700 in the past. Got another comming up in a couple of weeks, Essex down to Thonon Les Baines in a day, a shade under 700 miles.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Chris Canning

Quote from: HockleyBoy on July 02, 2014, 09:37:37 AM
Have done a couple of long days, 950 odd miles and about 700 in the past. Got another comming up in a couple of weeks, Essex down to Thonon Les Baines in a day, a shade under 700 miles.

Have you done that trip before?

HockleyBoy

05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Chris Canning

Sorry for derailing the thread but we stayed in Thonon on the way to Mugello in 2012.

We rode to Rheims the first day and set off for Thonon,off the motorway at Troyes down on the A road to Dijon hop on the autoroute and round to Dole the Poligny/Champagnole/Morec/Gex it's a great ride and a scenic route that's the good news.

Even from Rheims and riding the way I do!! bumped into afternoon/evening traffic in Geneve you also have the hassle of a vignette,now we have ridden through Geneve before during the day and it was a doddle but early evening it's a horror even on a bike,to the point we headed south to St Julien and looped back up to Annemasse but after a great days riding both the bike and I (but the wife was ok!!) nearly blew a gasket in the heat.

It's a balancing act about how much good road you want to ride on as opposed to doing more on the autoroute but you need to sit down and work it out and if it's bad weather it'll be fun not!!,the good news if your not staying with friends and need a hotel use the Ibis,cheapo chain hotel and it's on the side of the lake with fanatastic views and a walk down the hill for somewhere to eat,we talked about staying the week and using it as a base it was that good.

We have always either crossed Switzerland a lot further north(Vallorbe) or looped a lot further south Bourg en Bresse so never been along the shores of the south side of the lake before and it's great.

Coming back from Italy we did Florence/Milan through Switzerland(Simplon pass) via Vallorbe Pontarlier/Besancon/Visoul/Langres and stayed at Chaumont and still had time to walk for a couple of hours to loosen the limbs so that gives you some idea of what we can do without Geneve traffic!!!