News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Who has done the longest...?

Started by Nick Calne, June 30, 2014, 07:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockleyBoy

Thanks Chris, useful info. Probably going to have to mostly stick to the autoroutes and hammer down there though as want to get it done in a day. The slower fun riding will be from then on as we intend to ride the Route des Grande Alpes down to Menton on the Med before heading along the coast and back through Italy taking in a few sights and The Stelvio if time allows.

The Ibis sounds good, am going to look it up and see if I can book, useful to have somewhere to head for.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Chris Canning

We left Thonon went along the lake into Switzerland over the Grand St Bernard for the zillion time(we like it) dropped down into a Aosta it was that hot climbed back up into the mountains over to Val d Isere over the pass and down to Mont Cenis there's a great hotel that's caters for bikes.

Re Menton my parents used to take a caravan to Sospel(cooler) every year for 6 weeks in the summer and nip down to the beach at Menton for the day so we used to ride down on a bike,but the bad news the coast road is just impossible to ride with the traffic and the heat and the only option for travel is the motorway that is nailed to the side of the mountain.

Mustang

Rather than derail the thread think of title and move these couple of posts

Bixxer Bob

Bugger  :BangHead

I wanted to do Val d' Isere and the St Bernard this year (not been before) but let my mate talk me into the Grand Masif instead.  The roads were brilliant for riding (I've never been on the side of the tyre for so long before)  but the views were nothing special.  I now know he's into twisties while I'm more of a tourer.  Maybe next year.....  :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

We've been over the St Bernard on this 955 3/4 times the 885i would run at the tope when we went on that and I've had a bike and a car with carb engines that had to bump started because they wouldn't go.

Looking for something different there's a hostel at the top a real spit and sawdust job it a surreal experience late afternoon as the sun set and the temp drops,but the air is so thin expect a bad night sleep you need to drink a gallon of water and wake up in the morning with a headache,when we left it must have been -5c in the morning 10 minutes down the mountain and it was 30+  :icon_eek:

This between the hostel and the boarder.

This is the classic photo that I must have seen a million times on the net,the first time we went over 25 years ago there's a guys selling sweats my darling wife buys a small bag that cost 30 quid  :icon_redface:,an hour previous  it was mid 30's C here we are freezing our spuds off it was that cold.

nickjtc

Just a fwiw, talking about longest rides.

Longest 'day' ride: 2152km in 25 hours. KLR650 (believe it or not). Alberta 2000 Rally

1500 miles/36 hours. St. Paul, Alberta to Kamloops, BC, via Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. VFR800.

2000 miles/48 hours. Gualala, California to Kamloops, BC, via Salt Lake City. VFR800
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

Your proctologist must love you  :pottytrain2  :ImaPoser

don't say a word Mustang  :nono
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on July 05, 2014, 10:23:38 PM
Your proctologist must love you  :pottytrain2

Let's just say I am glad that there are small fingers involved!  :ImaPoser
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Chris Canning on July 03, 2014, 04:28:24 PM

This is the classic photo that I must have seen a million times on the net,

Hopefully will be posting a few similar pics up in the Ride Reports section in a few weeks  :icon_biggrin:
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

ix

Sorry to re-rail this thread...

I bought my Girly precisely because it was an extremely competent highway bike. I put about 10k miles on it in the first 8 months, and I've done lots of high-mile days.

My longest single day (so far) was a certified Iron Butt ride of 1000 miles in 21 hours. That was fun, but a bit grueling.

My first real LD ride was a "shorty" to test my mettle: 1 megameter in a day (1 megameter = 1000 km = 621 miles). I've since decided 600-700 miles is a very comfortable per diem distance on long rides in the American West. I'd like to get some extra fuel on board so I can do it with only one gas stop.

One time I took off for a motorcycle ride and ended up riding all the way to Los Angeles to go shopping, and then back home. That was a bit under 800 miles round trip, and included about 120 miles of constant lane splitting. L.A. traffic doesn't just suck, it is the standard against which all sucking traffic must be measured.

I rode around the USA on the Tiger in 2006, 6600 miles in 11 days of riding. That was during a record-setting heat wave, so my comfort limit was about 700-800 miles west of the Mississippi and 500-600 miles east of it. I made about half my mileage at night, when it was cooler and my stamina picked up. I can honestly say I've driven all the way across Ohio, but never seen it - it was night the entire distance across. (Unfortunately, I can't say that about Illinois, perhaps the most irritating state to drive in the entire Union.)

- Ix
- Ix