News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tank blisters

Started by fraserdog, July 02, 2014, 10:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraserdog

I wonder if it affects any other triumphs with plastic tanks? My mate has a 2004 Sprint st with over 60k on the clock and nothing on the paintwork on that.It seems only the tanks suffer not the fairings or side panels which all have decals in one form or another which makes me think it is something to do with the petrol.
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Chris Canning

Oh it's def fuel but what is going on here in the UK is they are starting to put more crap in the petrol(ethanol) they've been doing to the Americans for years.

If you scour the forums there's been allsorts of hassle Ducati have even had to change tanks because they been deforming.

Stick a Bagster on it  :icon_biggrin: out of sight out of mind!!!

fraserdog

I put the premium fuel in mine,v power,bp ultimate etc with the vain hope that these have less ethanol content than regular and might hold off the impending blisters for a while.
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

threepot

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on July 04, 2014, 12:57:28 PM
Here's one that's completely off the wall;  what if some tanks still contained minute amounts of moisture (not necessarily water, think solvent)  in the plastic when they were initially painted by Triumph and that moisture eventually causes the bubbles.......
My Steamer has them,and my friend has noticed them on his 2007 Guzzi after a cold,damp spell in his garage. A local resprayer says it is trapped moisture from factory painting.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

coachgeo

from another board I got wind of a product that seem to claim to stop issues with alcohol on tanks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Petseal-Ultra-Tank-sealant-Prepared/dp/B006VB6E02

In the topic some said they liked the POR15 tank sealers better but they were not discussing issues with ethanol.   Does POR15 say  they are compliant with ethanol? With plastic tanks?

Could see why a sealant might work if it will stick the plastic tank.  The alcohols would not make contact with the plastic so expansion should stop... maybe reverse???  but that might cause sealant to bow, peal, crack??
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

v8er6.6

Well my tank is covered in blisters, impressively covered.
02 Green with black stripes. Some on the stripes have been the full width of them :)

fraserdog

Quote from: coachgeo on July 10, 2014, 05:22:39 PM
from another board I got wind of a product that seem to claim to stop issues with alcohol on tanks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Petseal-Ultra-Tank-sealant-Prepared/dp/B006VB6E02

In the topic some said they liked the POR15 tank sealers better but they were not discussing issues with ethanol.   Does POR15 say  they are compliant with ethanol?  Could see why a sealant might work if it will stick the plastic tank.  The alcohols would not make contact with the plastic so expansion should stop... maybe reverse???  but that might cause sealant to bow, peal, crack??

I used Petseal on an old gpz900 tank years ago that had internal rust issues,it cured the problem but while it was curing the tank got so hot you couldn't bear your hand on it,i'm not sure what that sort of heat would do to a plastic tank although perhaps the formula might have changed since then.
1974 Honda CB500/4
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

PeteH

Some poor guy has posted up on Facebook with a 99 Tiger that has some serious paint problems and he appears to be in Leeds...so he`s using the same juice as most on here, tanks totally fecked and needs stripping and re painting...he`s after advise ...............
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour