News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Just a slight asphalt bounce....

Started by Stitch, July 12, 2014, 07:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stitch

A couple of weeks have passed since I was intimate with one of my local freeways. Traveling in the HOV lane the cars stopped, I reacted to slow, hit the brakes slowed down to a skid , and then had to lay the bike down when I started to feel the back end rise. I choose to lay it down for my other two options would have been airborne(over the car in front of me or over the guard-rail into oncoming traffic). My aftermarket brush guards and engine crash bars saved me and the bike. Got some deep bruising on my left side but no bone breakage. Insurance company totaled it due to cosmetic replacement items. I am in the process of buying it back since it is just fine other than the left rear pannier (and some body/paint stuff for the scuffs).

The triple tree is off slightly but the bars don't seem to be tweaked. Time to repack the head bearings anyways and with 28k ordered a set of bearing/seals since its about time to replace. Dealer said (only since I was dealing with my insurance company) nothing was bent. However, they did not pull anything apart to inspect (a concern).

Going to keep her and since I will have a few bucks to put her back together, I have been thinking of doing a few more modifications (such as the rear shock I wish to purchase). Anything you would do if you had a chance for a "do-over"?
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

Stitch

Put my new "all-balls" headstock bearing kit in today. Bottom bearing needed replacement due to wear. Nothing bent in the triple tree due to accident, just a little finesse on the upper part of the triple tree.

Replacing the aftermarket hand-guards and  the bars with a Pro Taper 7/8 ATV High.

Anyone have a recommendation for replacement levers? I looked for an application for Pazzo but couldn't find one for the 955i. My asian adjustables have to go.

Viewed some old picts of Stretch's high fender kit and know he hasn't done them for some time. Any current updates if anyone is making this kit or some picts of the hardware to make my own?

tims007

i am doing the same as you .. new berings .. and ( i just got some newer forks of ebay as mine have a crack in them that i didn't want to play with ) .. but when i was messing around i broke the front fender so i will be doing a high fender ... going to have to make my own .. but it shouldn't be to difficult ..

Stitch

I did find some pictures of Stretch's kit. Shouldn't be terrible to duplicate since this is the one that worked and has several happy customers. Just need to address the oil and radiator protection since the high fender mod will leave these vulnerable. Toying with the idea of just raising the OEM fender 2" since it appears the stock cross-over brake line should work by moving the location back a bit. Figure the 2" should be enough for mud packed knobbies.

Fitted by Pro tapers today......very nice. Currently hunting down some part numbers for Pazzo shorty levers.......

Spud

Got Pazzo shorties on mine, and I'm looking into replacing the rear shock and doing the forks  :thumbsup

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

Stitch

Thanks Spud...ordered my set today with a little help from Pazzo (in getting the right part numbers). I"ll post a picture after I get all the bar set-up complete.  OE bar weighted bar ends will need a little fitting to go onto the Pro-tapers.

Stitch

Finally took a photo of my new Pro-Taper Highs

Stitch

My new shorty Pazzo levers fit really nice too

Stitch

Finally got my new High"er" fender in place too. First picture of the support brackets for the back-half of the front fender; Second of the attached to the back-half of the front fender; and last the finished product.

Used the available factory mounting holes and the horn stays in the original location.

Mustang

have you checked for clearance at full compression on forks ..............looks like it won't clear the bottom triple  ?

Stitch

And of course I didn't......back to the drawing board.  :icon_redface:

So now I will shortly post some new pictures of my modified, modified high"er" fender after I drop it a couple of inches. Too bad...looked good but not functional. I guess I will add a strap to position the front fender half way between the fork bosses and then cut down the back half brackets.

Mustang

I just didn't want you to find out the hard way when you grab some front brake and go divin' .................. :nap

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Stitch

Modded Hi"er" fender. I chopped down the brackets I made for the rear. Re-fitted using the rubber blind nut/bushings and made some 1"x3" tabs to support the front half. Quick test ride over some curbs for compression test and seems fine. The clearance looks good for my future front knobby tire.

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint