News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Continental Riding - Headlights

Started by HockleyBoy, July 17, 2014, 03:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockleyBoy

Just wondered, does anyone ever bother about headlight diection or using beam defelctors on a motorcycle whilst riding in Europe?
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

iansoady

The Girly does have a pronounced kick up to the left so it's only courteous to mask it off - I've been using the same £1 roll of black tape for about 10 years so it's not expensive, and there's always time in the ferry queue to fit it.

As seen here:

Interestingly, the Wee-Strom doesn't have any kick up at all so tape not necessary - good as I believe the lenses may be polycarbonate.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

Never bothered with any bike/car at any time the only thing you'll ever get pulled for if you have an early Tiger and don't have your lights on.

Other things that the net will mention GB plates/dayglow jackets/Helmet stickers/breathalyzers the only thing you have to pay attention to is speeding don't worry about setting a camera off means nothing,but if your pulled on the side of the road by the camera on a tripod then it's pay on the spot,the twist in the tale the French police have a modern day habit of confiscating your license no license then you can't ride!!,can't ride then they bring in a truck at your cost to take you back to the port!!! unless you have a passenger that can  :icon_wink:

Forgot if for what ever reason you have to do motorway miles buy a transponder boy does it save time rather than being stuck behind some muppet on a bike fumbling for his/her credit card at the toll booth!!!the days of quaint things like cash are long gone  :icon_biggrin:

chairhead

Quote from: HockleyBoy on July 17, 2014, 03:25:58 PM
Just wondered, does anyone ever bother about headlight diection or using beam defelctors on a motorcycle whilst riding in Europe?

Nope,
never have used anything and I do a lot of night riding, I have brighter bulbs and two LED's on the chair also so im lit up like a Christmas tree  :bug_eye , I don't care about oncoming traffic, I can see  :icon_wink:
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

HockleyBoy

Thanks all, not going to worry tooo much then but might just use Ian's cheap solution.

Transponder is a good idea Chris as have to very long autoroute days and anything that saves time will help.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

John Stenhouse

Quote from: chairhead on July 18, 2014, 12:35:39 AM

Nope,
never have used anything and I do a lot of night riding, I have brighter bulbs and two LED's on the chair also so im lit up like a Christmas tree  :bug_eye , I don't care about oncoming traffic, I can see  :icon_wink:

I'd hate to meet you coming the other way on a bike, blind riding isn't fun  :icon_evil:
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chris Canning

In the good old days of the French having yellow headlamps and priority from a side road it was fashionable for Brits to buy yellow headlamp covers 'look at me I've been abroad' the trick was to leave e'm white so they knew you were Johnny Foreigner and they gave you plenty of room.

I've never had the slightest problem actually what I like on a dark country road you lights are focused on the middle of road rather than the ditch!!.

iansoady

Quote from: John Stenhouse on July 18, 2014, 11:17:39 AM

Nope,

I'd hate to meet you coming the other way on a bike, blind riding isn't fun  :icon_evil:

I agree - I think it's just common (or maybe uncommon it seems) courtesy.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

chairhead

Nope,

I know, I must be a real menace to other road users..........my bad?........eye roll.
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

Chris Canning

I've never seen a European car/bike in the Uk with headlight deflectors and at the NW200 this year saw no end of French bikers,we don't do on the spot speeding fines in UK like the Europeans do so the bottom line short of killing someone there's no comeback for them,we don't charge to use our motorways midlands toll road excepted not only we have to pay in France, now that cash is all but gone on the tolls if you want a painless journey you need to buy a transponder.

I'll just skate over the things we have just missed like dayglow jackets,stickers on our helmets,carrying a breatherlyser,filtering in Paris!!

Ian I have to say mate with the greatest of respect we show johhny foreigner loads of respect  it's already too one sided in the last 5 years the rules of game have changed,which way my headlight goes?? I don't care just like they don't  :icon_wink:

Things that never get mentioned don't run out of fuel on the autoroute it's illegal.

chairhead

Quote from: iansoady on July 18, 2014, 03:31:50 PM

Nope,

I agree - I think it's just common (or maybe uncommon it seems) courtesy.

It might have been in your day,
its not as if my lights are retina detectable and beam out across the motorway and burn other road users to dust, the are sensibly placed on the chair and are adjusted to ride on the right atm, i.e. slightly dipped and to the right, the "Christmas tree" remark was a figure of speech.................Jeeeezz :icon_confused:
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

chairhead

Quote from: Chris Canning on July 18, 2014, 05:56:12 PM

Ian I have to say mate with the greatest of respect we show johhny foreigner loads of respect  it's already too one sided in the last 5 years the rules of game have changed,which way my headlight goes?? I don't care just like they don't  :icon_wink:

Things that never get mentioned don't run out of fuel on the autoroute it's illegal.

Nail, Head, Hammer, :thumbsup

Running out of fuel on the Autobahn is also an offence and you will be fined on the spot :nod
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

nickjtc

I am SO glad that if we want to go anywhere from here for serious rides:

the foreigners over the border speak the same language
they ride/drive on the same side of the road
there are no asinine road laws
few toll roads (and why would you want to ride them anyway...??)

Lucky us! :nod
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"