News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2005 Tiger 955i stepper motor help

Started by nigeh, July 22, 2014, 07:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nigeh

Hi all

Was advised to visit here as it was suggested there is more help/knowledge on here than other forums!

I have finally used the Tuneecu software this evening on my Tiger as been having issues with an erratic tickover and very lumpy. low-down, acceleration.

I have searched for some info but not come across the right onfo, or have missed it! I am after help with info on the 'stepper motor' as think that is my issue! I have replaced mine as felt sure it was faulty, purchased a brand new one!

Anyway I am sure that it needs to be set correctly when fitting a new one but there is very little about how to actually do this everyone just keeps referring to a TPS reset!! Based on how the stepper works I would have thought it important to set the 'plunger' to the correct height against the three holes in the body of the motor so that when it adjusts the height of the 'pluger' it covers the holes the correct amount. Is there a method for doing this or do I have to wind the 'plunger' up or down on the thread and keep turning ignition on/off until I see it cover the holes correctly?

Any advice gratefully received.

Also does anyone have the actual values you should see on the 'diagnostic' screen when the bike is at tick over as I have no idea if the readings I am seeing are correct or if they are indicating other issues, ie injection pulse values, ignition coil readings, throttle and O2 readings?

I have looked through the 'workshop' manual but they seem to just keep referring to how to use the triumph diagnostic tool so there are no values.

Cheers, TTFN

Nige
who needs four cylinders??

www.maisonlaudiere.com

nigeh

I should have said bike is running the Off road Triumph can and the TOR tune with a K&N air filter (NO airbox mod)

I noticed this evening, when I saved the current map, that the map number is 10177 does anyone know if this is the Triumph tune as had it done at a Triumph dealer?  My research shows I should be using the 10173 map! 

I will load that one on and also mess about with the IACV settings to see if I can get it to idle a bit better!

www.maisonlaudiere.com

John Stenhouse

Paging Bixxer Bob to the white courtesy phone!

Nige the accepted gurus for the ECU are Bixxer Bob and Metal Guru, a pm to either might get you an answer, however you are asking rather close to some of us going to Scotland for the 2014 meet.

Was it me I would have said the stepper motor would have been factory set but hey I'm no expert
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Stitch

Tiger VIN#206547 and up use the 10173 tune (TOR and Aftermarket exhaust). 10177 is earmarked for Brazil only and remember that using this tune in a non-Brazil ECU is troublesome per others.

Best to replace the corrugated hose (if they are still OEM) with silicon and re-balance the throttle-bodies is highly advised. The OEM hoses crack and split causing vacuum issues (of which the "stepper motor" cannot overcome to trim out). 

2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

nigeh

Thanks John, Stitch

I have looked at several, excellent posts from both Bixxer Bob and Metal Guru and guessed they were the ones who know how to sort the 'black magic' that is an ECU!

Stitch that is very interesting your comments about the tune, my VIN is 226*** so well after the start range for the 10173 tune.  I shall be calling the stealer later to discuss with them as this was done a couple of years ago now.  I only let the Triumph dealers in England look at the bike as bought it there so expected them to know what they are doing......I know, I know but when you don't understand how it all works you have to trust someone!!

I have looked at the corrugated hoses, checked them when I replaced the stepper motor, and they seem in good condition, no splits and I removed the 'T' piece that had the scotoiler attached to it and re-connected the vacuum hose together with in-line connector.  I did think of changing the tubes but thought that silicon ones could implode and close up so decided to stick with the originals.

I balanced the throttle bodies a couple of weeks ago when this all started in case they were causing the problems.

I am going to load on 10173 Map see how that goes then, if needed, will tweak the stepper motor so fingers crossed but does ayone have the values I should be seeing on the diagnostic screen on Tune ECU as in my original post as it would be great to compare values with one running correctly otherwise I am 'flying blind'!!

Thanks again for input and enjoy the meet but watch out for the midges!!!!!

www.maisonlaudiere.com

Bixxer Bob

Before you do the stepper motor blow in 10173.  Reset the trims at the same time. 

Set the stepper motor to 28 steps

If you're sure the TBs are balanced,  do an adaptation (look in the how-to)  the criteria to be met for an adaptation are in there.

Then, the stepper motor setting should be between 20 and 35 steps.  Set it midway then, with the engine warm, blip the throttle, aim for it to pick up cleanly and settle back to tickover without dipping below or stalling, or popping too much (a little popping is normal).  Try a couple of steps at a time, up or down, you'll soon get a feel for whether you're going in the right direction.  If it doesn't seemto make any difference, leave it at the mid setting and ride it.  If the setting is too low, it will die on you when you pull up at junctions etc. 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nigeh

Many thanks for that Bixxer Bob

Looking on the Tune ECU site there are several 10173 maps!  Should I just go for the standard 10173 one or the AFMOD2 or TUNEAF?

I also meant to say that I have just ordered an O2 eliminator, due any day soon if the donkey gets it here!!

If the device does not arrive by the weekend will I still be able to do all you say and THEN fit the eliminator, as plan to attack the bike again on saturday!  If I have to do all you suggest again I will wait until it arrives!

Cheers

Nige

www.maisonlaudiere.com

John Stenhouse

Nige try the search button it helps enormously. Metal guru has on one of his posts a screen shot of a custom map he did with some values shown.
A quick search under ECU MAP came up with this thread with a screen shot on page 2

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,12496.msg92201.html#msg92201
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

nigeh

Thanks John

I took a look at the values and they are similar ish to mine but will change with different temps, etc but a good gauge, cheers.

Another thing I have not mentioned is bike has done 42,000 miles and has NEVER had the shims looked at!!!  TBH I couldn't be bothered to strip it down that far when each time I have looked at forums people have posted they checked theirs at 12k, 24k, 36k etc and have never needed swapping out so never bothered!  I do have the shim tool so if this tune/tweeks do not sort it out I guess that is the next thing to check.

www.maisonlaudiere.com

pineygroveshop

Gee Nige,
I would be sure the maintenance was current before I mess with the map.
Cheers,
Stephen

nigeh

Most of it is  :icon_mrgreen:

I I will load map etc first then if problem still exists I will look at the shims but if all runs well I will leave alone for time being!

www.maisonlaudiere.com

HockleyBoy

Quote from: nigeh on July 23, 2014, 11:59:35 PM

Another thing I have not mentioned is bike has done 42,000 miles and has NEVER had the shims looked at!!!  TBH I couldn't be bothered to strip it down that far when each time I have looked at forums people have posted they checked theirs at 12k, 24k, 36k etc and have never needed swapping out so never bothered!  I do have the shim tool so if this tune/tweeks do not sort it out I guess that is the next thing to check.

Shims done on mine yesterday at 46K, 3 were out.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

nigeh

I will certainly check shims after the map load, etc

I suppose that after 7 years of pretty much faultless service some tlc is overdue!

www.maisonlaudiere.com

Bixxer Bob

Just run the standard 10173 map.  MG and I run our own maps from time to time, but - for instance - my bike doesn't like MG's map.  They're all different so - unless you really know what you are doing - stick to standard.  I've been running a stock 10173 for 3k miles with no probs.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nigeh

Cheers BB

Have loaded 10173 on and adjusted stepper to 28 but tickover was too high so have gradually reduced stepper back down to 10!

Problem is that when I 'blip' the throttle when the tickover is around 1500/1600 rpm (stepper around 28) the motor spins up with no stuttering but as soon as I lower the stepper to 10 (tickover around 1200rpm) and 'blip' the throttle the engine splutters and is not a 'clean' blip!!  Hope that makes sense!

The one thing I have not done yet is ride it and rag the nuts of it so will do that next!  :icon_mrgreen:

www.maisonlaudiere.com