News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2005 Tiger 955i stepper motor help

Started by nigeh, July 22, 2014, 07:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nigeh

So finally the new TPS arrived today so I set about putting it on.  First thing was that I had ordered a new plate/bolts as noticed that one of the old bolts was slightly bent.  So who was it that said the Triumph ones a shite? Because whoever it was was correct.  For a start the Torx head was at least a size smaller than the originals don't know whose genius idea that was at Triumph HQ but well done whoever they were  :BangHead

So put the old bent ones back in and put it back together and fired up.  It ran so/so but I have not connected up TuneECU yet but it still has a slight splutter when blipping the throttle but it may be improved, to be honest I am loosing the will to live with it tonight so have stopped or I will hit it with something I will regret!

So tomorrow I will put it back together properly and take it for a test ride and if it is still playing up then that is me pretty much done as run out of ideas/patience although need to get re-inspired as going to Germany in less than two weeks and need to use the bike and I don't really want to ride it like it is but will if I can't sort it properly.

Will come back tomorrow after test ride and report findings
who needs four cylinders??

www.maisonlaudiere.com

metalguru

Firstly before doing anything else is to connect to tuneecu.
Maybe teaching to suck eggs here, but,
Connect bike to battery charger as ecu likes volts.
Connect laptop to mains supply to ensure battery voltage is good as maybe some time.
Connect lead to bike and switch on main switch but DO NOT start.
If headlamp switch is fitted, turn off lamps or remove fuse for same.
Wait for TuneEcu to connect.
Download map preferred and correct for bike and vin number, also for off road or not. Remove any remaining faults.
When finished - select disconnect from the menu. This is important you do this before turning off the
ignition as it "closes" the program mode on the ECU.
After TuneECU has disconnected - Turn off the ignition.
Put fuse back in.
Wait 10 - 15 seconds and turn on ignition.
Reset TPS by double click on icon. This will tell ecu throttle is at zero position.
Start engine BUT DON'T TOUCH THROTTLE, let it run for adaptation to occur  at about 90C and green indicator will show.
TPS voltage will change from 0.0 at reset to about 2.2 at idle.
Sometimes this can take a few attempts.

Then with all done it's time to play with the trims.
BTW the stepper is usually adjusted to give a minus number (double click on arrows) but all bikes are individual and best set up unique.
LTFT take it down until bad running occurs the increase value until running even range = 3.5-4.5 approx.
Keep IFT to zero for now unless access to gas analyser. (Had some fun with one of those).
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

nigeh

Thanks metalguru

I am OK connecting the Tuneecu up as had a lot of practice recently!!

I will go through the other steps.  I have to say that I did the TPS reset, or think I did, as did not see the green light appear!  I just started bike up, no throttle, and after fan cut in I left it for 20 mins.  Oh I double clicked the reset TPS button first but I feel that the instructions for the TPS reset are a little bit vague and not sure it works! Having said that I only did it once but you suggest it may need to be done a few times!

I agree with the stepper setting as each time I set it to 25 ish the tickover is very high.  It is a little high since I put it back together last night, around 1500 rpm but as I did not have the Tuneecu connected I could not see what it was set at, will check it.

My LTFT is at 4.2 just now but will move that too and will leave IFT as you say.

Will post back

Cheers

www.maisonlaudiere.com

nigeh

metalguru I was looking through some old posts and noticed that you said, back in 2012, that you had a great modified 10173 map that gave good town riding and allowed you to chase sports bikes higher up!!!  Do you still have that map and if so would you be able to email it to me so I can give it a try?

I am still messing around with stuff on the bike and am still not convinced that the TSP reset in Tuneecu works!  I double click on 'reset TPS' the little icon next to it flashes a few times then message says TPS reset done.  I then start the bike and let it run for a couple of mins but that little 'greyed' out area next to the TPS never changes colour so not convinced that is the way to reset it!

www.maisonlaudiere.com

metalguru

Yes I still have the map as still use for setting up bikes.
The TPS does work as can be proved by resetting the TPS and noting the value in the Diagnostics screen in the Throttle voltage box. The voltage will stay between approx .54-.66 as a rule and the value next to that will change from 0.0 at reset to approx 4.4 or anything in between as these bikes are unique to require to tune. Try taking the stepper to -10 to -12 and see what happens, perform blip test.
Please read the text again as nothing takes a few minutes when mapping is concerned.

PM me your email and I can send a map to you, BUT and that is a very BIG but, when maps are altered they really only work for specific bikes and riding styles, it would be a good idea to get yours running to std settings first so a unified start position is established BEFORE any map mods take place.

Just saying after years of messing with these. To give you some idea, the ECU is a modified Peugeot car ECU....Nuff said.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

nigeh

Cheers mg.

OK I can see that the TPS setting sits at 0.2 then goes to 2.6 and on tickover it is 0.59v and increases as I accelerate so guess it does work even thought the light does not come on on the Tuneecu screen.

Bike has the Triumph race can and K&N filter so need the TOR tune at least!  I use the bike for mainly fast ish motorway riding when in England or in France wringing it to within an inch of its life trying to keep up with my mates 1200S multistrada  :icon_mrgreen: so I need as much power over 6000rpm that I can get my hands on!!

I must have something else wrong, maybe a dodgy coil?

I have put on new stepper motor, TPS, plugs, vacuum hoses from IACV to inlets and from airbox to ECU, new inlet manifold gasket, checked the shims it has a newish battery holding good volts and hours of messing about, and I am not a patient man when it comes to trying to sort my own bike out (am patient working on friends bikes but not my own as just want the frigging thing to work!!)

I will go through it all one last time and unless I can get hands on a coil or three to test them I will have to take drastic measures!!!!!

Will pm you

Cheers

www.maisonlaudiere.com

metalguru

PM sent.

In addition sometimes after re-map a couple of hot cold cycles have been known to improve matters.

Good excuse to ride it and try aspects of the map.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

nigeh

Thanks mg received your email too and map, cheers.

I will make sure I screw the important bits back on before I test it on the road as have everything just placed on at present!!

Rgds

Nige

www.maisonlaudiere.com

nigeh

OK I have now pretty much lost the will to live with this frigging bike!

I have done all the following:

New stepper motor, o-ring and gasket

New TPS

New fuel filter

New inlet manifold gasket, twice!

Cleaned K&N air filter

Balanced throttle bodies, b***ard to do!

Replaced the vacuum pipes from IACV to inlet manifold

Checked the shims

Put correct 10173 TOR tune in - Bike has Triumph race can and K&N

OH and put a new horn on!!!!

So while balancing throttle bodies the bike would 'blip' cleanly - at last!

Put the airbox back on and left filter out, bike would blip cleanly no stuttering

Put, cleaned, air filter back in and bike blipped cleanly - no stuttering

Put tank back on and took bike for a ride....................running like BA***RD  :BangHead :BangHead

So WHAT ELSE CAN IT BE?

Injectors?

Fuel relay? - read up about the relay but guess it is only used to activate the fuel pump and then does nothing and fuel pump test on TUNEecu shows as OK.

Maybe it could be the vacuum pipes I replaced as I could not get the correct pipes at the local car accessories shop so used fuel-pipe!!  Maybe this is closing up when they heat up and causing the stuttering problem??

I will put the old convoluted vacuum pipes back on and see if they make a difference!

Any other thoughts as running out of ideas!

OH the only thing I haven't done yet metalguru is blow your map in that you sent me but not sure that will cure this existing issue, want to get it running smoothly first!!

www.maisonlaudiere.com

metalguru

5mm silicon vacuum pipe in the colour of your choice, plenty available on fleabay. Fuel tubing is for pressure not vac, doesn't like heat too.
Make sure stepper ports are connected correctly as there are 4 ports of which only 3 are used.

Spark plug condition??

Make sure Blue coilpack connectors are seating well as these have been known to cause problems as base of tank is a bit close.

Too much oil in airfilter??
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

nigeh

I will look for some vacuum pipe but as everything takes for ever to get in France it is very frustrating waiting for it all the time, I want it NOW not in 6 days time!!!  I will put the old ones back on and try them as I was concerned about using fuel line!

Yep stepper is fine, the fourth take-off is blanked off so they are all correct.

OH forgot to say on my list.... New Spark plugs too!!

Connectors on coils have been taken off and cleaned and sprayed so sure they are OK.

It did have a fair bit of oil in the K&N filter so cleaned that out with brake cleaner then blew out with air line and re-oiled so all good now!

And STILL running like a croc of shite  :BangHead

www.maisonlaudiere.com

metalguru

What are the symptoms when it runs badly? How is the bike being ridden when bad running starts?
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

nigeh

The symptoms are a stuttering under brisk/hard acceleration almost like there is no fuel getting in!

It could be that the vacuum pipes are imploding as I have not used the correct tubes having said that it is pretty much the same symptoms that started all this off 8 weeks ago or more after the bike had stood out in the baking sun all day!  It had run faultlessly on a 3000 miles trip just 4 days before and then suddenly started playing up and I am convinced it was caused by standing in the sun all day. 

I am sure it screwed up the stepper motor by trapping the plunger, due to the heat and that fooked up the thread on the plunger so that no longer worked then I have messed with stuff, etc, etc, etc

www.maisonlaudiere.com

motoOzarks

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: motoOzarks on September 10, 2014, 09:54:50 PM
poor fuel?

Took the words right out of my mouth  :thumbsup. Flush the tank, I mean completely and dry it out before putting some fresh fuel in.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint