News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Scotland 2014

Started by Bixxer Bob, July 30, 2014, 09:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

Spud.... a container shipped to LA, then ride back over to NY to ship the bikes home.  Now that would be an awesome meet up for 2016!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Spud

Would there be enough interest to fill a container, there's a guy does this out of New Zealand every year to Europe , so it could be done

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

Spud

Just spoke to a shipping company (this is where the guys in the states can chip in please) they said it is difficult to ship bikes direct to the States but it could be done for about 5.5k. I know of people who have done the States and have gone through Canada as it was easier.
But if their interest I can do some research,

Spud

Ok just spoke to another company who can ship to LA for roughly 3k for a 20 foot container which would hold about 6 to 7 bikes then back from the East coast again for about 3 k so that would be 6k shared between 7 of us to you Sir about £860 per bike, you would need a Carnet of the RAC and cover your cost of your own flights and ex's whilst in the States. Oh dear I'm getting excited  :icon_lol:
If there was enough interested we could get a 40 foot container the price would go up but only by about a third. so say 14 bikes at about 8k return is to you Sir, about £571 shipping could be arranged from a central point ie Brum or Liverpool.
It may cost a little more say £200 ish for shipping a hazardous container ie bikes with batteries and some petrol in, but this would mean we get to LA meet the agent pick the bikes up and ride off.  :thumbsup

Mods should this be on a new thread ? 14 Tigers across the States well fancy  :ImaPoser

Spud

Anyone fancy LA to Sturgis then onto the east coast  :wheel

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Spud on August 12, 2014, 12:53:26 PM
Anyone fancy Sturgis

NO  :nono

Good grief,  must be a slow day for chronic back pain  :icon_rolleyes:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Spud

The price will £8097. This equates to £1350 per bike. If you had say 12 bikes to fill a 40' container I suspect the per bike price will fall to around £1195 per bike. (Please allow a transit time of approximately 5 weeks each way).

This includes packing, freight, fuel surcharges, documentation, handling and export/import clearances.

For temporary import into the U.S you will require prior approval from the EPA. This is a straightforward procedure and please see the instructions attached with this email.

We can also arrange insurance to cover loss or damage of your motorcycle during both the outbound and return transits. This is based on 2% of the bikes value + freight + 10%.

I hope this helps with your planning and please do let me know if you would like any further details at this stage.

To stay in touch with motorcycle shipping news, stories, new destinations and special pricing offers,

email from a shipping company

nickjtc

Oh, oh. What have I started? If you included British Columbia into the mix you would not be sorry! Do not come in June, though. It's the wettest month hereabouts. Anything I could do to help, let me know
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: nickjtc on August 12, 2014, 04:40:11 PM
Oh, oh. What have I started? If you included British Columbia into the mix you would not be sorry! Do not come in June, though. It's the wettest month hereabouts. Anything I could do to help, let me know

Nick, sticking your neck out like that is a risky business  :nod

That is quite pricey, I shipped my 800XC to Singapore for a bit over £600, nearer £700 taking into account port handling charges (but not import duties). I wonder if it's any easier shipping into Canada and riding in from there. Vancouver?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Spud

The first quote was cheapest and yes I've heard it is better to go through Canada. If there is some genuine interest I'm happy to do some research

Nick Calne

Well I'm genuinely quite interested. Never been to the US. When I go, I mean to ride a bike around for a month or so looking at stuff.

I did look at hiring a 800xc, but thats about £4k or so all in.

Going via 'shipping container' could be a lot cheaper. Can you imagine.... the GLOBAL tiger triple meet up! It could be amazing!

Nick Calne

Ooh look. I have just broke the 1000 post mark.

Do I get inducted into a tigertriple secret society or something?

John Stenhouse

Count me in Spud, I have a Tigger in BC tho so no need to ship mine
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Spud

Quote from: nickcalne on August 12, 2014, 09:13:26 PM
Ooh look. I have just broke the 1000 post mark.

Do I get inducted into a tigertriple secret society or something?

be careful what you wish for I've heard the joining ritual involve you being strapped over your top box whilst being whipped with a feather boa by Sin in a leather Tiger print thong. I'm selling my Tiger when I get to 999 posts  :ImaPoser

Chris Canning

Quote from: nickcalne on August 12, 2014, 09:09:07 PMNever been to the US

Me neither till we went to California in January,the first question I got from biking friends when we came back was about riding a bike out there the weather is great the roads jeeze!!! no wonder you see so many Americans talk about cruise control on the net you'd die of boredom we had to travel 50 miles to find a road with a bend in it literally!! fly out rent a convertible Mustang and cruise,not too mention the moment you start to nudge 85 you stick out like a sore thumb,great place to visit but biking is a totally different concept.

Hence the thread about humungus sized panniers in the US no problem,but not the kind of thing for filtering on the M25 in rush hour  :icon_lol: