News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tears as big as sheep turds are rolling down my face or Leaking Fuel Tank Blues

Started by ssevy, August 25, 2014, 10:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

I'll bet that sooner rather than later there will be a 3D scanner and printer with the size capacity to duplicate our tanks or any other parts we'd like. My daughter just began college as an engineering major, and I told her I may have some work for her in the future. My first project will be scanning and producing transparent float bowls for our carbs, so that it will be easy to check float and needle action. Do a search on youtube for 3D printing, and you'll be surprised at what items are already possible.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Nick Calne

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on August 28, 2014, 12:45:06 AM
I recently spoke to a man who makes custom alloy tanks about making a copy in alloy. He just looked at me like I'd grown a second head  :bug_eye

Well that's about the average reaction to steamer ownership problems!! How do they make the super large dakar tanks for xr 650s etc, I wonder?

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

London_Phil

I'm off to the London 3d Print show in a week or so, and will be building a 3d printer over the winter, (pending approval from Finance dept  :icon_wink: ),. Think it would need to be a big beast for a fuel tank...
I know there are industrial ones that work in Nylon, but not sure if its genuinely viable for a fuel tank.
After watching a UK bike show on the telly, they went to an alloy fabricator for custom tanks.
Wonder what the minimum order quantity would be for Ali tanks.mmmmm

nickjtc

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

ram33

Quote from: London_Phil on August 28, 2014, 10:48:08 AM
I'm off to the London 3d Print show in a week or so, and will be building a 3d printer over the winter, (pending approval from Finance dept  :icon_wink: ),. Think it would need to be a big beast for a fuel tank...
I know there are industrial ones that work in Nylon, but not sure if its genuinely viable for a fuel tank.
After watching a UK bike show on the telly, they went to an alloy fabricator for custom tanks.
Wonder what the minimum order quantity would be for Ali tanks.mmmmm
built a 3d printer last year myself (prusa v2) satisfying to make, esp when youve even built the pcb as well
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

threepot

All the plastics done in polished alloy..bet that would look nice :icon_smile:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Nick Calne

Henry James

Not wanting to start a discussion of tank repairs, only a personal experience. But, I used Marine JB Weld (which is petroleum resistant, I know it didn't say petroleum proof),  on a tank last year where the previous owner had a body shop use a plastic compound that failed.  It was one of the captive nuts that I did not replace.  I made something to insert into the tank with a fine stainless wire so the expoxy would go inner area of the tank.  I did the repair in three intervals letting each completly setup, trying to use the least amound of expoxy to avoid any voids.  Then I just expoxyed the head of the bolt to the outside of the faring, I know kinda hokey, but it really worked.  So far so good.  Like most of you, I didn't have many good choices and said if it doesn't work, I am out very little, and since it did, great.

nickjtc

Quote from: threepot on August 28, 2014, 07:58:27 PM
All the plastics done in polished alloy..bet that would look nice :icon_smile:

I suppose one would have to get in touch with one of those Indian tank makers who seem to proliferate on eBay, send them a tank to copy, and then get a quote for x number of tanks...... :augie

ssevy

Update:
I just got my tank back from the auto body shop where they welded it using nylon rod this time. The polyethylene used on the first attempt failed after 2000 miles, so I hope this is a permanent solution. I am also going to seal the inside with a Caswell kit, which should isolate the new material used in the repair from the fuel permanently.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Geoff W

Aluminium tanks, try the tankshop.com. I have not tried any myself, but they look very good for the money.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

motoOzarks

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

Sin_Tiger

My earlier comments regarding aluminium tanks, John Williams of Tankshop was the man I had been speaking to.

Apart from which he is extremely busy,  it's almost a year since I ordered a custom tank for my Thruxton.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

Current waiting time 40 weeks according to the website.

nickjtc

Just for s's and g's I have emailed a selection of those Indian (sub-continent) tank makers to see what their response would be to making an alloy tank for a Steamer.

Here is the first answer:

Dear buyer, Thank you for showing interest in our product.The minimum order quantity is "1 Unit" ,We also make custom tank according to customer requirement.If you want new design of tank for your motorcycles then you are at right place.Please feel free to contact with us at any timeKind Regards,Vintage Motors Zone