News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Charging system stops after a few minutes

Started by Roadinator, September 01, 2014, 03:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadinator

Looks like my charging system randomly stops charging.  Battery is 13 months old, checked battery connections and everything looks fine.  Sasquatch mod and battery will hold a charge.  Once running, it can charge or it can stop charging and run off battery till dead.  I checked the cable that runs from the rectifier to the positive battery with an ohms meter and it has a good connection.  I pulled the stator cover and looked around.  I have the mileage the last stator and rectifier was installed, but not right in front of me (will find it tomorrow).  I am assuming the stator is wet with motor oil (had to get that question out of the way, but it seems pretty obvious).  I was wondering if their was a test for the stator or rectifier independently?  Can a stator act up like this?  Can the rectifier act up?  One thing I've noticed is the wires coming from the stator to the rectifier get pretty hot.  Is that common? 

Do most people replace both at the same time?  I also did not realize that there is a oil seal in the stator cover.  Am I causing trouble removing the stator cover and not replacing the oil seal? (not sure how to know if it is leaking or bad?).

Thanks for any info! 
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i in Lucifer Orange

John Stenhouse

From your description I would look for a broken wire, you'll need three hands for this.

Put your ohms meter on the wire at either end then get that third hand to wiggle the wire, I would suspect that there is a break somewhere and it sometimes connects and sometimes doesn't.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

cdubya

Agreed.
If the stator goes, it will go. It won't come back.
Thoroughly check connector between stator and R/R and your soldered? sasquatch mod connections. I realize you've tested with a meter but as JS says, vibes can reep havok.
06 Girly

Bixxer Bob

Just posted this on another charging thread, a good guide to charging fault finding:

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/Troubleshooting-3P-PMG-&-RR.pdf

For the oils seal change search for a thread on how to by Evil Betty, he did one yonks ago....

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Roadinator

Sorry, but searching I find nothing for Evil Betty, oil seal, stator oil seal, etc.  Maybe I am doing something wrong? 

Mustang

Quote from: Roadinator on September 02, 2014, 06:30:33 PM
Sorry, but searching I find nothing for Evil Betty, oil seal, stator oil seal, etc.  Maybe I am doing something wrong?
you're doing something wrong

it was the 1st hit on search.........................

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,7689.msg53241.html#msg53241

Roadinator

Yep, just me.  I think I was separating Evil from Betty.  All good now.  Thanks!

Mustang

I added it to the Girly How To Sticky thread today also...................

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...