News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

cooling fan questions

Started by Meatman, September 01, 2014, 09:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meatman

Sorry if this has been covered already but my Girly is loosing her cool.  Hot days in the summer time traffic is the only time she heats up and I mostly blame the cooling fan for the heat because the fan is not turning on.  I ran some tests on the wires, got the fan to run so the wires check out.  No busted fuses so there's no problem there.  I checked out the switch and it seems to be out of whack, so I ordered a new one. 
The question I have is, when we jump the wires from the switch to the fan circuit the temp gauge heats up, but the fan does not turn on in the run position.  As I let the gauge hit the hot point, I turn the ignition off and all of a sudden the fan turns on for a second then shuts off!  Anyone encounter this problem before?  I am sure when I get the new switch it should be back to normal, just curious if I'm missing something.
There are only 4 wires in the circuit, two from the fan to the fuse panel, then two out to the switch.  There is no radiator coolant temp gauge, only the switch in the thermistat.
Thanks!

motoOzarks

maybe thats because you're from Mars
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

Bixxer Bob

Shorting the coolant sensor to the fan (or anything else ) is of no use because there is no direct connection between the fan, the gauge or the sensor.  The ECU reads the sensor voltage and decides when to turn the fan on and what the gauge should read. 

Your decision to replace the sensor is good, but also check the contacts in the two big plugs on the ECU.   The ECU is known to corrode and throw up all sorts of issues.  If yours is in good condition, take the time while you're in there to duck tape all the holes in your undertray, including the ones under the ECU to help keep the water out.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...