News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Glens and Sea Lochs - First Wild Camping Experience

Started by Micko, September 04, 2014, 11:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Micko

Spent 3 days and 2 nights in Scotland last weekend. Just fancied getting away and to be fair was pretty underprepared. No firm idea where I was going and until the night before had no sleeping bag, sleeping mat, stove or tent pegs. But....managed to get all sorted and set off dead early on Saturday. Great ride up from Tyneside up to Loch Lomond until it started pissing down. Hurriedly put on some old 'waterproofs' and headed westwards towards Lochgilphead on the A83 which I'm sure would've been pretty picturesque if I could see further than the spray in front. Ended up on a single track road and found a canny little field on the due of Loch Sween. Fab and tranquil and woke up covered in mozzy bites (should've put some anti midge stuff on my limited list!). Short second day heading up through Kilmartin (love any prehistory and standing stones) where I dropped my Girly, then on up to Oban, eastwards along the A85 to Dalmally and an early camp in Glen Orchy. Absolutely stunning scenery, pretty deserted single track road and found a perfect spot right on the river edge. Early decamp (less bites having armed myself with every spray known to man) and hit the cracking A82 then on down to Crieff and back to sunny North Shields over Carter Bar. Great experience and loved every second. Just got to squeeze in another trip cos missing it!

nickjtc

Good for you. The opportunities for getting in good long rides before the weather turns are getting less and less.  :icon_cry:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

KuzzinKenny

Hey Micko !! I'm green with envy, i've only had 3 wild camps and they were onenighters !! its great when ya find a good spot to just chillout and watch the sun go down  :pimp

the midges are a fookin pest but the only thing that seams to work is SMIDGE !!

put this in yer bookmarks....................

http://midgeforecast.co.uk

KK

PS remember the wild campin golden rule ( you should never be able to tell that anyone had been there )  :thumbsup
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

nickjtc

Quote from: KuzzinKenny on September 05, 2014, 01:50:13 AM
PS remember the wild campin golden rule ( you should never be able to tell that anyone had been there )  :thumbsup

+1. We call it stealth camping over here.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Micko

Quote from: nickjtc on September 05, 2014, 06:04:32 AM
Quote from: KuzzinKenny on September 05, 2014, 01:50:13 AM

+1. We call it stealth camping over here.

Totally agree and that was the only downside of the camp along Glen Orchy. Stunning surroundings but previous abusers and wanker campers had left bottles, cans, BBQ trays and strewn about.

Nick Calne

Brilliant little trip - good for you Micko.  I'm quite jealous too.

+1 on the thoughts on littering though.  I'm normally a fairly liberal fellow but that sort of thing makes me want the re-introduction of forcible transportation to the colonies.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

pablo

Brilliant. Enjoyed the pics as I sit itching my own midge bites.

Micko

Those pesky little buggers are a right pain in't they and I'm still itching a week later. Looking forward to more of your photos Pablo and where you got to.

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

John Stenhouse

Quote from: nickcalne on September 05, 2014, 11:44:07 AM+1 on the thoughts on littering though.  I'm normally a fairly liberal fellow but that sort of thing makes me want the re-introduction of forcible transportation to the colonies.

Why export them to litter elsewhere, just shoot them, save time.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Geoff W

I see that you have the roughing it essential; bottle of red wine. Well sorted Mick. Glad to hear that the plate fitted. Good trip.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

ynotbiker

nice one wor kid, am off on Thursday from Newcastle know some cracking wild camping places plenty wood for fire,not the same without a fire. :thumbsup midges avon skin so soft tuck socks into pants thin gloves net face,there even got my mates knob when he needed toilet through night  :ImaPoser

Micko

Quote from: Geoff W on September 15, 2014, 01:02:17 AM
I see that you have the roughing it essential; bottle of red wine. Well sorted Mick. Glad to hear that the plate fitted. Good trip.
Tell you what Geoff...I snatched that bottle from under the nose of the Mrs as I was dashing out and was the best thing I took. Need a good bevvy in stunning surroundings I reckon. Aye and cheers again for the top box plate, got it well sorted and dead chuffed. Get more wine in for the next trip now!

Micko

Quote from: ynotbiker on September 15, 2014, 09:54:48 AM
nice one wor kid, am off on Thursday from Newcastle know some cracking wild camping places plenty wood for fire,not the same without a fire. :thumbsup midges avon skin so soft tuck socks into pants thin gloves net face,there even got my mates knob when he needed toilet through night  :ImaPoser
Jealous ynotbiker and hope the trip goes dead well and hope it ain't too wet n cold. Defo need a good fire going. I tried but all was too damp which was a bugger. Least there should be less mozzies around now but they're such little twats they're probably still hanging around just for ya.

KuzzinKenny

This type O thing also works...............

https://www.lifesystems.co.uk/product/insect-repellents/mosquito-coils

i carry a small alloy square for puttin me gas burner on so its more stable and also use it to put one of these coil things on inside the vestibule of me tent, the wee stands are ok once but snap the second time you use it so i use a small squarish rock to put it on.

KK

ps the midge's were a pest on tuesday mornin so on went the coil  :thumbsup 
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly