News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Elusive Neutral

Started by Micko, September 07, 2014, 08:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Micko

You'll have to excuse me but I've had a bit of a search about this but can't seem to find an answer. Also doesn't help that I'm not hugely experienced in bike mechanics. But....I'm having a right clart on trying to find neutral when parked up. It's doing my head in and probably look like a right wally when I pull up to fill up and sit there for ages staring transfixed waiting for the magic green N to appear. Any help and advice would be very gratefully received!

Mustang

adjust your clutch cable, per the manual
than report back...........................

KuzzinKenny

Hey Micko !! First thing i'd check is the shaft, remember  :nap also remove the gear shifter and see if it has a twist in it (allen key) and of coarse, is there enough chain slack ???? Tiggers hate a tight chain !! engine oil type also makes a difference so work back to when it was ok and you should get the answer  :thumbsup

KK 
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Micko

Ta loads for the help and I'll give it a go and fingers crossed. Think it might be about time and a good idea to get meself manual.

nik_the_brief

Hi guys,

I thought I'd add to this rather than starting a new thread.

Picked my '05 Girly up on Saturday.  All seemed fine ove the weekend but the past couple of days I have been encountering increasing problems finding neutral when she's warmed up.  I know enough about bikes to realise that it's almost certainly the clutch not completely disengaging and saw a reply above from Micko suggesting that it is adjusted as per the manual.  There's where my problem lies, I don't have a manual, I was provided with tons of other pieces of paper but no user manual from the dealers when I picked it up.

Can anybody provide me with a quick numpties guide?  Is it as simple as slackening off the bolt at the engine end of the cable then turning the other bolt to bring the lever that goes into the side of the engine casing a little further forward or is there some black magic ritual requiring me to walk widdershins three times around the bike before spitting on the floor?

Cheers in advance.

NTB

Mustang

the gearboxes of these beasts really really like love full synthetic oil ............... :love10

JayDub

Quote from: nik_the_brief on March 18, 2015, 03:12:24 PM
is there some black magic ritual requiring me to walk widdershins three times around the bike before spitting on the floor?

NTB
Looks like someones learning the ways of the tiger  :icon_biggrin:
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

nik_the_brief

Quote from: Mustang on March 18, 2015, 04:20:10 PM
the gearboxes of these beasts really really like love full synthetic oil ............... :love10

I'll bear that in mind when I next service her but was told she'd come with a full service and ready to roll and I've only put a 100 miles or so on her.

My guess is that the clutch cable has just stretched a wee bit having sat in a showroom for a while and just needs a touch of adjustment.  Since she's fine when cold and just gets a bit awkward shifting into gear when a bit warmer.  Does that sound about right to those of you with a bit more Tiger knowledge.  My old bike had a hydraulic clutch, none of this bother (just a ton of different types of bother) with them!

Bixxer Bob

I'd be inclined to think it more about it sitting doing nothing a while leading to sticky plates.  If I'm right it'll ease with use.  Manual says:

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nik_the_brief

You Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar - muchos grassyarse.   :bowdown

metalguru

Make sure the clutch cable is not frayed, gives a similar symptom.
Lube with a cable oiler.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

nik_the_brief

FFS - am still having a right hassle finding neutral when she's warmed up. 

At first I put it down to bedding in with riding a different bike but it's not that and it's just got a touch worse over the last day or so.  When she's cold she's fine and snicks into neutral as I coast to a halt but once warm, especially in stop/start traffic she simply refuses to go into neutral.  The clutch starts to drag and she creeps forward when holding the clutch in, if I hold the clutch in and give her a few revs she definitely tries to surge forward and it's now getting to he stage when I'm worried to ride when traffic is heavy and there's going to be a lot of round town stuff.

Any ideas people?

motoOzarks

What oil did they use when serviced?

If you don't know....it might not be the right stuff.

Do the other shifts suffer or change with temp increase?

Is your chain too tight?
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

nik_the_brief

You're right I have no idea.

I'll do an oil and filter change to see if it makes any difference, at least I know I can eliminate that from my enquiries as I've a 5 litre bottle of full synth already.  The other shifts don't seem affected though, it's just getting the bugger into neutral that's a problem though knocking into first can sometimes involve a bit of a crunch.

The chain seems very slack to me rather than tight but I'll tinker with that too using the tolerances suggested elsewhere on here.

Bixxer Bob

Chain would only affect it if it was too tight.  From your description the clutch is obviously dragging so adjustment and oil are the places to look.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...