News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2000 Tiger ECU parasitic drain...

Started by fcallen28, September 14, 2014, 07:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fcallen28

Hello everyone,

Long story short....intermittently,  my ECU will not go into sleep mode and pull over 3 amps with everything off. 

When I turn off the ignition,  if I hear a click from the ECU,  I know I am OK.
No click, pull the negative off, put the multimeter in series and see about 3 amps.
Cycle the ignition on/off to get the ecu to click and I'm fine again.
I'm thinking I can live with listening all the time but if I can't,  I may throw in a battery cut off switch.   I know I'll lose my clock and trip but that's OK with me.

2 questions.
1.  Is this a sign my ecu may fail?
2.  Will a battery cut off cause other problems?
Thanks!

Bixxer Bob

The problem is probably the shut down relay.  It holds the power on after the ign is switched off until the ECU has finished storing the trims, then the ECU cuts the hold-on voltage to it and the circuit opens.

It's located under the seat, just take the seat off and listen for the one that clicks about 3 secs after you turn the ign off.  Replace it and your issue should go away.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

fcallen28

Thanks Bixxer Bob.  I'll get on that relay later today.

Chris Canning

Sorry to derail the thread Oceanside!!!!! you lucky lucky person  :icon_biggrin:

fcallen28

Great picture!  Warm here today.  Close to 90.

Napa had no relays for me.  Radio Shack might. ...

fcallen28

For a little over 6 bucks radio Shack had a relay. Part Number 275-0001. 

Seems to run just fine with the new relay.  Same click after shutdown.  I'll keep you all informed of the next few days.

Thanks for all the help. Even for a new member.  Even on Sunday.

Thanks

Mustang

fcallen28

200 miles and so far so good.

Picked up a kuryakyn battery meter that should give some piece of mind.

Bixxer Bob

Sounds like a result then. Might be worth pulling the old one apart to find out why it failed, I'm interested to see if it was water ingress.  If you haven't already done so, it's worth taping up the many holes in the undertray to stop water getting at the expensive bits. Corrosion on the back of the ECU and in the plugs has been known to cause ECU failure and as they get fewer on Ebay the cost is creaping up.  Don't forget to look for holes under the ECU  :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Bixxer Bob

fcallen28

All is safe and dry and still running fine.

Installed a Kuyrakyn led volt meter to help me keep an eye on things.