News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Riding at night.

Started by fraserdog, September 17, 2014, 08:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraserdog

Although I've had the Tiger almost a year I've never had cause to ride it at night until Sunday and I had a couple of problems.1st, the I found the headlights to be dire to the point of being downright dangerous which I think is down to vertical adjustment (I hope),it's already running Osram nightbreakers.2nd,i found the instruments (speedo/tach) very hard to read due to white dials.I'll try adjusting the headlamps up a bit but is there anything I can do to make the dials more readable at night?
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

rex007can

There's a relay mod somewhere to make both lights stay on.
I have HID's in mine. MUCH better than stock.
Stock lights are not really good enough for riding at night.

There's also threades for mods replacing the dashboard lights.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

fraserdog

Cheers for that,the mod has already been done on my bike so both heads are on.
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

Chris Canning

We have a 175 mile ride on Monday night and just try to use main beam as much as pos,I've an HID on another and just been too bone idle to do it on the tiger,but strangely I know of a great story of someone being done on the continent for using one!!!

Stitch

+1 for the LED dash bulb replacement thread.  Do I dare say a "night and day difference"? Thread has all the info you need with correct part numbers.
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

Sin_Tiger

Take the reflectors out and clean the inside of the lense glass and the reflector surface. Costs next to nothing other than a bit of effort and some cleaning materials that you probably already have. Do one and compare it, you will be surprised at the difference.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

KuzzinKenny

If ya go the LED route remember this, go colour for colour but DON'T replace the high beam with ultrabright LED  :nono

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Hatepylons

I agree about the factory reflectors being marginal at best, even with Osram Nightbreakers (though they made a huge difference). I ended up going with a set of MondoLights (http://mondomotos.com/MM10) mounted low on the forks. Way too much  :Topes in Central PA to not have a lot of light.

They throw out a ton of light, but their low position isn't blinding to oncoming traffic. Or maybe they are, but I haven't been beamed/flashed/middlefingered yet.

Anyways, for the $$$$ definitely worth the investment if shipping across the pond is reasonable.