News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Electrical Help

Started by erogland, September 20, 2014, 08:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erogland

I need help/guidance on how to trouble shoot an issue that has arisen with my 2001 Tiger.  I have checked the how-to's and searched the message board and have not found anything quite like my problem. 

So my Tiger sat out for a while and was not run or ridden...having twins sucks up one's time.  Anyway when I tried starting it back up I had to recharge my battery hooked it back up and it fired right up.  I let it run for about 10 minutes and then shut it off, as I couldn't ride it that evening.  I was happy and ready to get back to riding. 

Two days later I went out to go for a ride and nothing.  I assumed the batter ran out of charge so charged it back up and tried it out the next morning, still nothing.  Checked the fuses, they were all good.  So I got a new battery and changed out all the fuses, still nothing.  I checked all connections I could find, they were all good. 

Then I notice when the ignition key is in the run/on position I get no lights on the indicator panel.  But the horn works, the turn signals work, and when I use the brakes (rear and front) the brake light works.   However the headlights and the rear light do not work.   Also, as I mentioned above, it will not turn over.

I have a copy of the wiring diagram and am studying it, but in the mean time do you have any ideas of where to start?

exchead

check the side stand cut out switch and the clutch when you pull it in bike will turn over :icon_wink:

Bixxer Bob

Doesn't explain the lack of lights though,  something odd going on.  A wiggle of the loom around the ign switch might reveal something, ie dry solder joint / broken wire on the switch - it happens a lot and usually means nowt works, but without my wiring diagram to hand I can't see it being anything else.  Kill switch is on?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

erogland

Sorry I haven't gotten back to this post since I posted it, and thanks for all the suggestions.  I can safely say its not the kill switch or the cut out switch.  I still need to check the loom around the ignition switch.

PeteH

My starting woes were down to a fault in the wiring  harness to the clutch switch, but then mines the 885i and the Haynes manual I have only covers this model :(
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Bixxer Bob

Did it stop the lights working Pete?

I need to know the model of Tiger we're talking about because there are three different wiring diagrams.  The VIN number would help.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

erogland

Some major life events have prevented me from paying any attention to my bike...but the dust is setting and I foresee both time to work on it and ride it (once its running that is).  Huzza!

That said the problem persists.  Bixxer Bob you asked for the vin which is SMT700FR01J130409